The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Creation Science (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Flat Earth? Hell Yes! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=7642)

Born Again Bob 01-24-2008 03:01 AM

Flat Earth? Hell Yes!

Dear Friend,

The fact of the matter is, there are all sorts of Biblical verses that make no sense if the Earth is a sphere -- without corners or ends. Therefore, the Earth must be flat.
"And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the Earth." Isaiah 11:12.

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corners of the Earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree." Revelation 7:1.

"That it might take hold of the ends of the Earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?" Job 38:13.

"O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ends of the Earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit." Jeremiah 16:19.

"The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ends of the Earth." Daniel 4:11.
Yours in Him,
BAB

Rev. Carlton Green 01-24-2008 03:19 AM

Re: Flat Earth? Hell Yes!

My Creation Scientist buddies are already working on their case about how those "actual" photos of the Earth are really just pictures of Earth taken with a special rounded lens. Regardless of that, we are really just being nice. Were still pretty sure that those photographs were hoaxes propagated by the Lieberal-left, but were starting small first before we pack our grand revelation of the TRUTH!

scotty 01-24-2008 03:20 AM

4 corners of the earth is a metaphor, How could god make day and night with the earth being flat? Then whats the sun? Is that flat?

Virginia Day Templeton 01-24-2008 03:30 AM

The Sun goes underneath the Earth during the night.

Bobby-Joe 01-24-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 133089)
4 corners of the earth is a metaphor, How could god make day and night with the earth being flat? Then whats the sun? Is that flat?

How would it be dark if the earth was round friend? Light bends from gravity so the light would bend around a round earth making day all the time.

Rev. Carlton Green 01-24-2008 03:38 AM

It can also be explained with a little common sense that the Lord would never shape our Earth as the same shape of something that dangles from the male rude bits.

scotty 01-24-2008 03:40 AM

Bobby Joe saying that made absolutely no since, Heres a statement that sounds as intelligent as yours. "Well of course the earth isn't shaped like a penis because if it was then America would be covered in hair."

Bobby-Joe 01-24-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 133102)
Bobby Joe saying that made absolutely no since, Heres a statement that sounds as intelligent as yours. "Well of course the earth isn't shaped like a penis because if it was then America would be covered in hair."

Gravity bends light, right? Ask any Physicists this Snotty, they'll confirm this. So if the earth was round the light would just bend around the earth and we would have daylight even in the middle of the night.

Brother Temperance 01-24-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 133102)

So are you saying the earth is shaped like a penis? Do you go to one of those secular public schools?

Pastor Ezekiel 01-24-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 133089)

Are you one of these hippies who think the Bible is mostly symbolic? If that is so, then how do you judge which verses are "metaphors" and which ones are literal?

And what about these verses?

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all

One-eyed Jack 01-24-2008 01:18 PM

There is more Biblical evidence of a flat earth at the FELFAT evidence page The homepage of the Flat Earth Liberation Front Against Television can be found here.

The website also has a description of an effort to return "...the earth from its current unnatural spherical shape to its original, natural flat unbounded shape."

I'm not sure this is Biblically accurate, but it sure is interesting.

~~ OEJ

Brother Cletus 01-24-2008 04:09 PM

Amen brothers, thank you for bringing this subject up. I am a long time member of the Flat Earth Society, and for years we've been combatting the lie that the earth is a sphere.

The Bible says that when Jesus ascended into Glory, the cloud went *up*, not "sideways". Saying the earth is spherical would make that verse nonsense, which just goes to show that the spherical earth is just another make believe creation of the atheist monkey-worshipers.

DJ Troll 01-24-2008 10:03 PM

If the Earth is flat, as you mormons proclaim, why is it that when a ship sails into the horizon, it slowly disappears. First the ship itself then the mast until it is completely out of sight? If it were flat, it would disappear suddenly as it fell of the edge. You people never cease to amaze me with your ignorance. Also, to Bobby Joe:
Quote:

How would it be dark if the earth was round friend? Light bends from gravity so the light would bend around a round earth making day all the time.
that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. I wish I had all of your addresses so I could add you to my x-mas list and send you Happy Holidays cards at the end of December!

Bobby-Joe 01-24-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Troll (Post 133398)
If the Earth is flat, as you mormons proclaim, why is it that when a ship sails into the horizon, it slowly disappears. First the ship itself then the mast until it is completely out of sight? If it were flat, it would disappear suddenly as it fell of the edge. You people never cease to amaze me with your ignorance. Also, to Bobby Joe:

that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. I wish I had all of your addresses so I could add you to my x-mas list and send you Happy Holidays cards at the end of December!

DJ Troll; is the path of light effected by gravity yes or no? Have you ever heard of astronomers using gravitational lensing to see distant stars?

Sacha-DG 01-25-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby-Joe (Post 133424)
DJ Troll; is the path of light effected by gravity yes or no? Have you ever heard of astronomers using gravitational lensing to see distant stars?

Perhaps you should do some reseach of your own.

Quote:

A gravitational lens is formed when the light from a very distant, bright source (such as a quasar) is "bent" around a massive object (such as a cluster of galaxies) between the source object and the observer.
'very distant', 'cluster of galaxies'. In relation to how big the universe is, the sun is hardly 'very distant' from the Earth, especially in relation to a galaxy, let alone a whole cluster of them.
Allow me to clarify: Our Sun is a star. A Galaxy is a collection of hundreds of thousands of stars. Other than the Sun, the closest star to Earth is Proxima Centauri, which is almost 40 trillion kilometres away, (39.9 to be exact). The sun is 150 million km away, which is comparatively small.
The size of several collections of millions of stars trillions of kilometres away from one another is sensationally greater than the distance between the Sun and the Earth.
Gravity is the force between 2 objects. Light is energy, not an object. It is composed of photons, which have no mass, hence being able to travel at the speed of light. Having no mass, they are virtually unaffected by gravity and so would not be bent even remotely in such a short distance.

If the Sun went around underneath the Earth at night, why, therefore is it night in Australia when it is day in the UK?. It is 00:52 GMT now, yet it is 19:52 EST. If the Sun was above all the Earth, it should be equally light in different parts of the world at all times. Yet I am sitting here next to my window in the UK and it is most certainly totally dark out, when for you the Sun may still be setting.

America is roughly 7000km from the UK. Light travels at a speed of 299,796,000 m/s. According to your flat Earth theory, light should take at least 5 hours to reach the UK from America. But if you do a simple calculation, you will see that it in fact takes alot less than 1 second.

There is your flat Earth foolishness proven wrong. When the Bible says 'the four corners of the Earth' and other such things, they are strictly metaphorical. Taking every word of the Bible literally is foolishness, it was even said by many followers of Christ during His time that Christ spoke in riddles.

One-eyed Jack 01-25-2008 01:51 AM

No less an authority than Robert Schadewald wrote -- in the SKEPTICAL INQUIRER NO LESS! -- that "...flat-earthism is as well supported scripturally and scientifically as creationism."

Now let's do the math. 55% of all American voters believe in creationism. If flat-earthism is as valid scripturally AND SCIENTIFICALLY as creationism, then OVER HALF OF ALL AMERICANS should, based on Christian beliefs, find that flat-earthism is valid.

157,118,453.25 American Christians believe that God's Word is better than scientific snot-hole-ism about evolution. Why should Christian scripture indicating a flat earth be any less believable?

I'll bet you doubters just think scripture is a pile of stupid superstition that should be eliminated from the human mental gene pool. God hates people like you.

~~ OEJ

Sacha-DG 01-25-2008 09:13 AM

What Americans do and do not believe is irrelevant. The matter of the world being flat is a scientifical matter, not a matter of faith.

The majority of Americans may believe in creationism, but the belief that the Earth is flat is not so common, as you see, it has been proven wrong. People sailing around the world, treks across the polar regions, satellite imagery, even simple maths which I used in my previous post have all been used to prove it wrong.

It is possible I am mistaken about the metaphorical meanings, but do not forget that in Jesus' time, it was indeed believed that the world was flat, due to insufficent technology to prove otherwise.

The Bible is a book of religion, not of science. Do not quote it in a scientific debate.

Toxcity 01-25-2008 09:19 AM

The earth is curved guys, you cannot take everything the bibles says so literaly.
Remember it was written by humans, and humans are imperfect.
Plus it was written before people tavelled around(thats right, a"round") the earth.

Have you guys gone up in a plane? you can actually see the curviture of the earth.

Well that what I think anywhoo. :)

Pastor Ezekiel 01-25-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxcity (Post 133596)
The earth is curved guys, you cannot take everything the bibles says so literaly.
Remember it was written by humans, and humans are imperfect.
Plus it was written before people tavelled around(thats right, a"round") the earth.

Have you guys gone up in a plane? you can actually see the curviture of the earth.

Well that what I think anywhoo. :)

God says otherwise.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The KJV1611 Bible is the LITERAL Word of God. Who are you to say otherwise? Who are you to tell us which verses to follow and which to treat as a fairy tale?

We are not "feelgood" Christians who pick and choose which verses to follow, pal. We are True Christians™, and we follow the entire Bible, word-for-word. Glory!!

One-eyed Jack 01-25-2008 02:14 PM

Goodness, Toxicity, if what you say is true -- that the Bible is not trustworthy on matters of scientific reality -- then think of the consequences!

1. Over half of all Americans are deeply deluded, and can't tell reality from crackpot mythology.

2. In fact, either the Bible is not God's Word, or else God ain't very omniscient at all.

3. Our leaders -- our current president and many of his staff, many legislative leaders, and some of the contenders for the presidency -- are delusional, unable to distinguish between objective facts and superstition.

What a terrible state of affairs America would be in if what you say is true! Lawsy me, rational people ought to be denouncing Christianity as an injurious mental disease.

If what you write is true.

But of course we Christians know that God is the ultimate Truth!

But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. Psalm 86:15

~~ OEJ