The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Teaching His Word (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Gospels are Eye Witness Testimony (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=106541)

Pastor Billy-Reuben 07-25-2015 04:14 PM

The Gospels are Eye Witness Testimony

The Gospels are eye-witness testimony by the named authors, and that's why we can cite them as evidence. If the Gospels were written by anonymous authors writing down what they heard somebody say they heard from someone else, then they'd just be hearsay and wouldn't count as evidence.

These eyewitness accounts are extraordinary. Take the Gospel of Luke, for example. For this to be an eyewitness account, then Luke would have had to
  • witness the conversation between Mary and the angel telling her that she's going to become pregnant
  • follow Mary and Joseph around Bethlehem watching them go from inn to inn looking for a room
  • witness Mary giving birth to Jesus
  • sprint out to the pastures so he could witness the angels announcing the birth of Christ to the shepherds
  • sneak into Herod's palace on multiple occasions to witness private conversations between Herod and his advisers
  • follow the three eastern kings around and witness the conversation between them and the angel
  • follow Jesus and the disciples around so he could record everything they did
  • and beat everyone else to the tomb Sunday morning so he could record what happened there.

Furthermore, he would have had to do all of this without being noticed by anyone, so that when the apostles met Luke the Physician for the first time in Acts, he could play dumb and pretend that he didn't know about any of this. Why did he do that? I guess he just didn't want them to think he was a weirdo. "Um, yeah, I already know all about it. I've been sneaking around following all of you and writing down everything you did for the last 40 years."

Now, you may be asking, how could one man have been in all of those places at those times? The answer is obvious. God must have been telling him where he needed to be and to write down what he saw. Therefore, the unlikeliness of these eyewitness accounts is proof that the Bible is inspired by God.

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Alvin Moss 07-25-2015 04:37 PM

Re: The Gospels are Eye Witness Testimony

I admit that I sometimes become irate when some blasphemous disbeliever wants to see the proof that God exists or that Jesus came among us or any of those facts of which we are aware of. Can they not see that there is God provided WRITTEN PROOF? If written proof on a mileage log is good enough for the godless IRS, it should be good enough for anybody.

Witch Hammer 07-27-2015 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Billy-Reuben (Post 1153078)
The Gospels are eye-witness testimony by the named authors, and that's why we can cite them as evidence. If the Gospels were written by anonymous authors writing down what they heard somebody say they heard from someone else, then they'd just be hearsay and wouldn't count as evidence.

These eyewitness accounts are extraordinary. Take the Gospel of Luke, for example. For this to be an eyewitness account, then Luke would have had to
  • witness the conversation between Mary and the angel telling her that she's going to become pregnant
  • follow Mary and Joseph around Bethlehem watching them go from inn to inn looking for a room
  • witness Mary giving birth to Jesus
  • sprint out to the pastures so he could witness the angels announcing the birth of Christ to the shepherds
  • sneak into Herod's palace on multiple occasions to witness private conversations between Herod and his advisers
  • follow the three eastern kings around and witness the conversation between them and the angel
  • follow Jesus and the disciples around so he could record everything they did
  • and beat everyone else to the tomb Sunday morning so he could record what happened there.

Furthermore, he would have had to do all of this without being noticed by anyone, so that when the apostles met Luke the Physician for the first time in Acts, he could play dumb and pretend that he didn't know about any of this. Why did he do that? I guess he just didn't want them to think he was a weirdo. "Um, yeah, I already know all about it. I've been sneaking around following all of you and writing down everything you did for the last 40 years."

Now, you may be asking, how could one man have been in all of those places at those times? The answer is obvious. God must have been telling him where he needed to be and to write down what he saw. Therefore, the unlikeliness of these eyewitness accounts is proof that the Bible is inspired by God.

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Pastor, correct me if I'm wrong, but God must have given Moses the supernatural ability to leap through temporal "wormholes"* in order to witness and document the account of Creation given in Genesis...?

*sounds like science, but Jesus knows what I mean.:innocent:

Master Gordon 07-27-2015 05:18 AM

Exactly brother Pastor - the dedication of these men to put themselves in all those places to witness these things is amazing - a miracle really... :thumbsup:

Master Gordon 07-27-2015 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witch Hammer (Post 1153236)
Pastor, correct me if I'm wrong, but God must have given Moses the supernatural ability to leap through temporal "wormholes"* in order to witness and document the account of Creation given in Genesis...?

*sounds like science, but Jesus knows what I mean.:innocent:

Such dedicated soldiers for God could do amazing things brother Witch Hammer... :thumbsup:

Witch Hammer 07-27-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Gordon (Post 1153238)
Such dedicated soldiers for God could do amazing things brother Witch Hammer... :thumbsup:

Are you as excited about Armageddon as I am?:thumbsup:

Acts 29 07-27-2015 09:09 PM

Well, let's just take a little look at that.

Luke 1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word.

In other words, by Luke's own admission he is not an eyewitness. What he did was talk to eyewitnesses, making his gospel a secondary source rather than a primary source.

You also seem to make the mistake of thinking that a secondary source is less reliable than a primary source which is not necessarily true, for example a primary source may be propaganda which would mean a level of disgression would need to be applied when using it.

Alvin Moss 07-27-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acts 29 (Post 1153324)

Luke 1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word.

In other words, by Luke's own admission he is not an eyewitness. What he did was talk to eyewitnesses, making his gospel a secondary source rather than a primary source.

You also seem to make the mistake of thinking that a secondary source is less reliable than a primary source which is not necessarily true, for example a primary source may be propaganda which would mean a level of disgression would need to be applied when using it.

Matthew 24:11 has prepared us for the likes of you.

Didymus Much 07-28-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

...level of disgression...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discretion

Spellcheckers are free. :thumbsup:

Acts 29 07-28-2015 06:52 AM

mebee u cood adres mi pont n nat mi speling.

Also, notice that I didn't actually question the accuracy of biblical sources. Perhaps you could explain what about my statement was false?

Didymus Much 07-28-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acts 29 (Post 1153368)
mebee u cood adres mi pont n nat mi speling...

If you don't take the time to clearly express your thoughts, why should anyone else take the time to respond? :finger:

Acts 29 07-28-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1153376)
If you don't take the time to clearly express your thoughts, why should anyone else take the time to respond? :finger:

Whatevs. If u dn't wnt 2 deb8 rationly i hv no tme 4 u.

Didymus Much 07-28-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acts 29 (Post 1153384)

1) This site is NOT for debate, as you would know if you'd read the stickies you were directed to in your welcoming email. Rational discussions are always welcome, but that requires both sides to clearly state their points. Failure to do so leads to the "but that's not what I meant" bullshit, which just means that you've wasted everyone's time.

2) By not reading those stickies, or by disregarding them, you've shown a lack of respect for our hosts (the True Christians™). Why should they show you any?

3) Life lesson time: you can learn a lot more from your enemies than your friends, if you just get your useless, self-defeating pride out of the way.

If you're not here to learn, then the True Christians™ and I have no time for you.

Nobar King 07-28-2015 06:41 PM

Sometimes you see events but don't realize until later how important they were. I'm sure the same thing happened with The Gospels.

Pastor Ezekiel 07-29-2015 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acts 29 (Post 1153384)

First of all, this is NOT a debate forum. We're right and you're wrong, according to Jesus and the Holy Word of God. Please read THIS thread before making an even bigger fool of yourself. :rtfm:

Secondly, while the internets might seem to be "free" to you, this particular corner of the internets is a privately owned Christian forum. The rights you have on this forum are listed HERE. Please contact a Pastor immediately if you feel that any of your rights have been violated.

Finally, your unsaved opinions or tantrums are not even slightly of interest to us. We follow the Holy Word of God TO THE LETTER, and make no apologies for that. One of the most important commandments in the Bible tells us to avoid unsaved scum such as yourself. You wandered in here uninvited, and unwelcome .

If you want to debate people, THIS is the place to go.

Please make a thread of your own in the "Introductions" section of the forum, so that we can properly greet you. Tell us about yourself, your church, and how you came to find Jesus.

And if you're here to flame us, better take a look at THIS before making an even bigger ass out of yourself. :rtfm:

I will pray that the Holy Spirit enter you and chase the demons out of your rectum and let Jesus fill you with His Grace. If you use your God-given free will to reject Christ and His temporary death on the cross for my sins, then you are sending yourself to hellfire. :sinner:

1liesalot 11-03-2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witch Hammer (Post 1153236)

Which is precisely how Santa operates. This cannot be a coincidence.

Zechariah Smyth 11-03-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1liesalot (Post 1164972)

Good grief, are you comparing Moses to SANTA???

:crazy:

One is a documented historical figure who met the Creator of the UNIVERSE, and one is a fat guy in a felt suit who breaks into houses.

:thumbdown:

Yours in Christ,

Z. Smyth

Basilissa 11-03-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1liesalot (Post 1164972)

:facepalm:

Sweetie, Santa doesn't operate in any way, because Santa doesn't exist.

I know you aren't very smart, but really, if you think that Santa is real then you're even dumber than I suspected. :o

1liesalot 11-03-2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witch Hammer (Post 1153241)
Are you as excited about Armageddon as I am?:thumbsup:

My Rapture gown is being dry cleaned as I type this.

Levi Jones 11-03-2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

I don't know why you twist the scriptures like that. Luke is also the author of Acts, I am sure you are aware of?

Acts 2:31-33
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

John 1:6-7,19
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?