The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Creation Science (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Scientific Method for Christians (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=41285)

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-17-2010 12:32 PM

The Scientific Method for Christians

Come up with a question about the world. All true scientific work begins with having a question to ask. Sometimes just coming up with the right question is the hardest part for a scientist. The question should be answerable by reading the Bible. (If it can't be answered by reading the Bible, obviously God thinks it's not important enough for you to bother thinking about.)

Create a hypothesis — one possible answer to the question. A hypothesis is a word meaning "An educated statement about how something works", and it should be able to be proven right or wrong. For example, a statement like "Blue is a better color than green" is not a true scientific hypothesis. It cannot be proven right or wrong. "God prefers the color blue to green" could be a true scientific hypothesis, though, because one could read the Bible and find out His preference.

Read the Bible. If the hypothesis is truly worthy of Christians, it should be possible to read the Bible to test it.
Quote:

Why not observe and experiment?

A false, secular scientist would say that God prefers blue because there is more blue in the world than green - there's more sky and ocean than plants. However, studying reality can lead to deception because God sends deceptions into the world: (1 Kings 22:23, 2 Chronicles 18:22, Jeremiah 4:10, Jeremiah 20:7, Ezekiel 14:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:11) God does not put deceptions in the Bible. Therefore if reality and the Bible disagree, trust the Bible.
A Bible reading should be able to tell the scientist if the hypothesis is wrong; it may not tell him or her if the hypothesis is right. In the example above, an experiment might involve reading the Bible to find out what God's favorite colors are. Making a Bible reading can be very difficult though. What if the key question to ask God is not what colors He likes, but what colors He hates? (Abhors) Which books and chapters need to be read? Is there context that could change the result in ways that were not expected? (Maybe God hates blues music, for example)These are all the types of questions that true scientists have to ask, before they make a Bible reading. Usually true scientists want to test only one thing at a time. To do this, they try to make every part of an experiment the same for everything, except for the thing they want to test.

Read and collect the data. Here the true scientist tries to run the Bible reading they have designed before. Sometimes the true scientist gets new ideas as the reading is going on. Sometimes it is difficult to know when the reading is finally over. Sometimes reading will be very difficult. Some true scientists spend most of their lives learning how to do good Bible readings.

Draw conclusions from the Bible reading. Sometimes results are not easy to understand. Sometimes the Bible reading itself opens up new questions. Sometimes results from a reading can seem to mean many different things. All of these need to be thought about carefully. Always watch out for your own bias creeping in, remember that we are to trust God, not ourselves (Psalm 118:8, Jeremiah 17:5)

Communicate them to others. A key element of true science is sharing the results of Bible readings, so that other true scientists can then use the knowledge themselves and all of true science can benefit. Usually true scientists do not trust a new claim unless other true scientists have looked it over first and confirmed it with their own Bible reading. This is called peer review ("peer" here means "other true scientists").

Mrs. Rogers 04-17-2010 01:18 PM

Re: The Scientific Method for Christians

Amen, Brother Jeb! Secular scientists scoff at Godly science, however Godly scientific experiments are designed to rule out bias; this is achieved via a combination of randomization and double blind methods, i.e., closing both eyes (becoming doubly blind) and allowing the Bible to fall open upon a random page.

True Disciple 04-19-2010 10:41 AM

Amen, Brother Jeb. The masses need to be educated about this, after all, Creation Science is for everyone!:thumbsup:

You are right that it can be hard, at the University, I now give college in Basic Creation-Scientific Principles, where the Creation-Scientific Method is the very first thing we teach. Surprisingly many people get part of this method wrong.

michael the hater 04-20-2010 03:51 PM

so let me get this right. to create a chiristian friendly "scientific" study. i think of a question (e.g. does man weigh more than a whale? something easy to start with) and then read the bible and if i can interpret something as a possible answer to my question (e.g. man weighs less than a whale) then that is my hypothesis proven?

True Disciple 04-20-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael1234 (Post 511233)
so let me get this right. to create a chiristian friendly "scientific" study. i think of a question (e.g. does man weigh more than a whale? something easy to start with) and then read the bible and if i can interpret something as a possible answer to my question (e.g. man weighs less than a whale) then that is my hypothesis proven?

Not exactly. The point is that we shouldn't interpret the Bible, we should just accept what it says as True Facts™. On basis of these, we can then try to find an answer to the research question.:thumbsup:

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-20-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael1234 (Post 511233)

The problem with your hypothesis is that your question is so vague as to be unfalsifiable. For example, WHICH man weighs less that WHICH whale?

Whales vary in weight from doliphins to blue whales. Men vary in weight from 0.00 pounds (the weight of Jesus when He walked on water) to the Sons of Anak, who were probably larger than blue whales:

33And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight. - Numbers 13:33

If we agree that the average grasshopper weights approx 300mg (sorry to use metric but that's what my sources use) and an average third world citizen (as the ancient Israelites would have been) weighs 75.6 kg....I'll need someone who understands the metric system to do the calculations.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 06-11-2010 11:30 PM

For more on why the key part of the True Scientific Method is "read the Bible" rather than "experiment and observe" see: God HATES Rational Thinking!

Corbeen 06-15-2010 11:53 PM

Hmm an interesting concept Jeb Thurmond. Ok how about a basic kinematics question.

Say you drop a stone of mass 50g from the top of a 20m high building (so its initial velocity is 0m/s). How would you find the final velocity of the stone as it hits the ground and the force the stone applies to the ground using your scientific reasoning?

Thanks, Corbeen

Billy Bob Jenkins 06-16-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbeen (Post 540754)
Hmm an interesting concept Jeb Thurmond. Ok how about a basic kinematics question.

Say you drop a stone of mass 50g from the top of a 20m high building (so its initial velocity is 0m/s). How would you find the final velocity of the stone as it hits the ground and the force the stone applies to the ground using your scientific reasoning?

Thanks, Corbeen

It depends. If you put a worthless sinner under the stone, it may travel at a higher velocity to ensure that he doesn't get away. God has a plan for some stones.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 06-16-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbeen (Post 540754)

First of all, if God wanted us nit-picking exact velocities and such, there would be a bit in the Bible about this. And while I'm not going to be tricked into solving your problem for you, I'll provide a few pointers, just to show how the True Scientific Method™ works.

First of all, what is the shape of the stone? Is it a circle? Remember that false scientists believe that Pi - the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle - is 3.141592654-etc. However, through True Science, we discover that Pi is actually a perfect 3:

He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it. Below the rim, gourds encircled it – ten to a cubit. -1 Kings 7:23-26 (KJV)

Thus, we have proved that beliefs in Trigonometry, Radians, Complex numbers, http://l.wordpress.com/latex.php?lat...&fg=000000&s=0, Circular motion, Physics, Electrostatic force, Isotropic transmission and so on are false.

http://gospelofreason.files.wordpres.../06/banner.jpg

Now, on to the mass and velocity. The Bible states that both are at the whim of God. Jesus can walk on water, the stars can fall from the sky, (Revelation 6:13, Revelation 8:10) and the sun stopped in it's orbit of the earth (Joshua 10:13). So the answer to your question is "whatever amount of force God wants".

janna 06-16-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Jenkins (Post 540782)
It depends. If you put a worthless sinner under the stone, it may travel at a higher velocity to ensure that he doesn't get away. God has a plan for some stones.

Well no because the acceleration of the stone will always be around 9.81 m/s² due to the gravitational pull of the earth give or take a few decimals because of air resistance . For the question you use V²-Vo²=2gh for free fall motion. And for pi, a circle with a diameter of 100 meters with never ever ever have the circumference of 300 meters, sorry.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 06-16-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janna (Post 540851)
gravitational pull of the earth...air resistance

How can a lifeless, soul-less piece of rock decide to pull stuff around? And how is lifeless air suppose to resist things? Seems you college-types replace belief in God with animism, a pagan belief in invisible spirits everywhere! And you call yourself rational? :wacko:

Obviously God is pulling things, and resisting things, not lifeless rock and air.

janna 06-16-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb Thurmond (Post 540863)
How can a lifeless, soul-less piece of rock decide to pull stuff around? And how is lifeless air suppose to resist things? Seems you college-types replace belief in God with animism, a pagan believe in invisible spirits everywhere! And you call yourself rational? :wacko:

Obviously God is pulling things, and resisting things, not lifeless rock and air.

The lifeless, soul-less planet doesn't decide anything. It's just physics. Sorry, but there are LAWS in science that have been accepted universely. God doesn't pull anything nor is the bible historicly accurate nor are the observed facts in this world wrong i.e. the world is round.

Billy Bob Jenkins 06-16-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Well no because the acceleration of the stone will always be around 9.81 m/s² due to the gravitational pull of the earth give or take a few decimals because of air resistance . For the question you use V²-Vo²=2gh for free fall motion. And for pi, a circle with a diameter of 100 meters with never ever ever have the circumference of 300 meters, sorry.

How do you know? Have you done the experiment yourself? I have. And I know that when you throw a stone at a sinner, it travels with more force, as it is God's will that the sinner be stoned with stones.

janna 06-16-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Jenkins (Post 541091)
How do you know? Have you done the experiment yourself? I have. And I know that when you throw a stone at a sinner, it travels with more force, as it is God's will that the sinner be stoned with stones.

Actually I have done the experiment to determine the earth's gravitational force in physics. You need a meter stick, a stop watch, and a fairly heavy ball (to not be affected by air resistance too much). You time how long it takes for the ball to drop one meter and calculate g by using the equation y=(1/2)gt^2^. The results should be very close to 9.81 m/s^2^ in the hypothesis and get what? It's correct. Plus I have been calculating circumference since I was 11. Pi is not 3.

Billy Bob Jenkins 06-16-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janna (Post 541096)
Actually I have done the experiment to determine the earth's gravitational force in physics. You need a meter stick, a stop watch, and a fairly heavy ball (to not be affected by air resistance too much). You time how long it takes for the ball to drop one meter and calculate g by using the equation y=(1/2)gt^2^. The results should be very close to 9.81 m/s^2^ in the hypothesis and get what? It's correct. Plus I have been calculating circumference since I was 11. Pi is not 3.

Try it with a sinner laying down underneath. You'll see.

Pastor Ezekiel 06-16-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janna (Post 541096)

Is that some sort of witch spell? :huh:

janna 06-16-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Jenkins (Post 541097)
Try it with a sinner laying down underneath. You'll see.

Just tried it with a sinner, same results. No spell. Just physics.

True Disciple 06-16-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janna (Post 541154)
Just tried it with a sinner, same results. No spell. Just physics.

Of course, you should try it with a righteous person underneath. If the person truly is righteous, you will see that the ball doesn't drop as fast as it did in the experiment with the sinner. If the ball falls with the same velocity, then you know, of course, that the person wasn't truly righteous.:thumbsup:

Brother Helge 06-16-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

And for pi, a circle with a diameter of 100 meters with never ever ever have the circumference of 300 meters, sorry.

That obviously depends on how long a meter is and/or may also indicate how severly flawed the metric system is.
Meters are not mentioned in the Holy Bible (KJV1611) and should be treated with great skepticism.