The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   False Religions and Cults (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Oregon Abandons God. The 1st Atheist State! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=65877)

Ezekiel Bathfire 05-30-2011 12:15 PM

Oregon Abandons God. The 1st Atheist State!

Phil Plait is a Godless iniquity bereft of faith and hell-bent on destroying any hope of miracles, cures and Salvation™. Here he flaunts his repulsive ideas in God’s face.

He rejoices that Oregon will now jail people for life for simply being Christian. What next, the death penalty for believing in the Resurrection?

Quote:

In February, I wrote that in Oregon a bill was being proposed to the state legislature that would remove the defense of religious belief in the case of homicide. Specifically, if the bill passes, parents who use faith healing instead of real medicine for their children can face murder or manslaughter charges if the child dies due to lack of medical care.

In March, the Oregon State House unanimously approved the bill. On Monday, the Senate approved it 25 – 5. It will now go back to the House for any changes to reconcile the versions. After that, it will be sent to the governor where he will sign it, and it will become state law.

This law would apply to anyone who does not seek medical care for their child, but the situation has become urgent of late because a fringe group called Followers of Christ advocates faith healing instead of real medicine, and several children have died or been seriously injured because of it.

I stated my opinion on this in my earlier post:

Stories like this always leave me conflicted. As a parent myself I always want the best possible medical treatment for my child, and I don’t want other groups interfering with that decision. However, the State has a right to protect the best interests of that child in case the parent cannot. Decades worth of evidence has shown that faith healing does not work, and in many cases the children in the Followers of Christ church had easily treatable illnesses and needn’t have died.

In the end, the right thing to do is save that sick child. If the parent cannot, then the greater society has the responsibility to do that.

I still think this is true. One of the very reasons we have a society in the first place is to be able to help people who cannot help themselves. Children fall squarely into that category. And we know faith healing is not a legitimate medical practice. For a serious illness, it is essentially a death sentence.

I support the Oregon legislature on this difficult decision. In these times of such stiff religious influence on government, this is a welcome sign of resistance.”

Jack O'fagan 05-30-2011 02:09 PM

Re: Oregon Abandons God. The 1st Atheist State!

1 Attachment(s)
Yet another example of people going against God's will. Here is a recent case involving the The Followers of Christ Church.

OREGON CITY – The strawberry birthmark over Alayna Wyland's left eye ballooned into a grotesque bulge by the time she was 7 months old, but prosecutors say her parents cleaved to their religious faith and refused to take her to a doctor as she edged toward partial blindness.
Timothy and Rebecca Wyland went on trial Friday in Clackamas County Circuit Court, charged with first-degree criminal mistreatment for failing to provide Alayna medical treatment. The trial is expected to last several days.
The Wylands, members of the Followers of Christ, an Oregon City faith-healing congregation, never considered taking the girl to a doctor because medical treatment conflicts with their religious beliefs, prosecutor Christine Landers said in her opening statement.
The Wylands recognized the infant needed medical attention but did not seek it because "they didn't believe in it," Landers said.
Timothy Wyland told a detective assigned to the case that "sometimes God heals, and sometimes God lets children die," Landers said.
Authorities began investigating the family shortly after police received anonymous reports last June that Alayna had a strange growth, possibly a tumor, over her eye. Within days, the state took custody of the girl.
Defense attorneys John Neidig and Mark Cogan told jurors that the Wylands are loving parents who became victims of overzealous child welfare workers at the Oregon Department of Human Services. The state "took a child away from her parents without adequate investigation," said Neidig, who represents Rebecca Wyland.

If God saw fit to smite the child with a facial tumour then who are we to question it? The parents prayed for a cure, God saw fit not to cure the child. That should be the end of it. The child should have been allowed to die and would now be in the arms of Jesus.

YiC

Jack

Ezekiel Bathfire 05-30-2011 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They lack faith. God has deserted them!

Pastor Ezekiel 05-31-2011 02:10 AM

They don't call it "The Canada of California" for nothing. :angry:

God clearly doesn't live in Oregon. :thumbdown:

DDM1985 05-31-2011 04:48 AM

No doubt, they'll try to use this material on CNN or MSNBC, to turn people against Christians. Guess it's time to get ready for the pitchforks and torches...:(