The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   The Thrifty Christian (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Selfishness makes America GREAT, except for the GREEDY poor! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=47186)

Bobby-Joe 01-25-2012 09:09 PM

Re: Selfishness makes America GREAT, except for the GREEDY poor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian (Post 841471)
My concern about this is the way long time members of this forum view the poor. I believe that the bible and God takes pity and even blesses the poor with His kingdom. The behavior of most of the members here are not in accordance or in the footsteps of Jesus. I have seen them post how the poor are vermin and vile beings, and that God will kill them in his own time.

I am searching for the truth and therefore, I need to know if I am in the wrong viewpoint or I have yet to find the Truth in another place.

Friend,

Show me a poor person who hasn't died and I will accept your point.

librarian 01-25-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian (Post 841468)
What I do understand so far, is that Jesus took pity on the poor and blessed them with the kingdom of God (specially his disciples as they were the ones that Jesus was addressing).

That qoute was from my post where I explained my beliefs in my own language, if you would have just read the next few posts I made after the initial one. And Nowhere have I sad that all poor goes to heaven.

Also, may I qoute with its correct context Proverbs 14:20-21
Quote:

The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: But the rich hath many friends.
He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth:
But he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 09:28 PM

Proverbs 14:20
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

librarian 01-25-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hutchins (Post 841650)
Proverbs 14:20
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

Please read Proverbs 14:21 also. It is a part of the bible and it is wrong to ignore God's word just because it conflicts with your personal belief.

And let me just say, thanks for James Hutchins for pointing out this bible text for me. I am no expert so I do not know everything and his bible qoute earlier helped me find it.

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 09:41 PM

21 He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth:
But he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.
Two messages here both plain and simple.
1)Do not despise your neighbour. This simply means you have to live next ti them. Until you can make them move, do not give them cause to harass you.
The second part is just as simple.
2)It means have mercy (feel sorry for) the poor as they are too stupid to know any better.

Again, do not 'read into it', the Bible is plain, simple and direct.

librarian 01-25-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hutchins (Post 841658)
21 He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth:
But he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.
Two messages here both plain and simple. Do not despise your neighbour. This simply means you have to live next ti them. Until you can make them move, do not give them cause to harass you.
The second part is just as simple. It means have mercy (feel sorry for) the poor as they are too stupid to know any better.

Analysing the meaning of mercy, at its basic definition, it means feel sorry for as you pointed out. Also, the previous texts are all in the same context therefore, it is about also about the poor. Basically, in its over simplified version, it means you must not hate the poor, instead you must take pity on them. But having pity on someone is not a shallow emotion, despite what it sounds. In order for a person to take pity on someone, he must have first empathy and sympathy. Sympathy involves concern, therefore, a person must be concerned on the welfare of the poor before he can take pity on him.

Also, examining other translations, the word used in the original Proverbs can be translated to mercy (KJV). But it does not stop to being mercyful. In other translation
Quote:

ESV
but blessed is he who is generous to the poor.
Quote:

NIV1984
but blessed is he who is kind to the needy.
Quote:

NLT
blessed are those who help the poor.
And it goes on.

librarian 01-25-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

1)Do not despise your neighbour. This simply means you have to live next ti them. Until you can make them move, do not give them cause to harass you.
The second part is just as simple.
An off topic point I have noticed is that "do not despise your neighbour" means in simple terms, you must not hate your neighbour. Thus, making them move out of disdain or hatred, either by indirect or direct means is a sin. Hatred is not an action but an emotion felt in the heart.
God can read all of our hearts, and so he judges accordingly.

librarian 01-25-2012 10:23 PM

Anothe bible verse I found while reading the Proverbs 14:31,
Quote:

Proverbs 14:31
He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker:
But he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor.

This, I believe is in a complete disagreement on the emotions voiced earlier in this forum. Again, if I am mistaken, feel free to correct me.

librarian 01-25-2012 10:43 PM

I just discovered a very good functio of biblegateway.com that allows me to search a term and show me all of verses it was mentioned on.
Here are a few I found when I researched the word "poor". Please read them all as they are instructions from GOD.

Please take note that all the texts are not in complete context as everyone can read the whole context on their own.
Exodus 23:11, Leviticus 19:10, Leviticus 23:22 - As what I have mentioned earlier about the farming methids of the israelites.

Leviticus 14:21, Leviticus 14:21, Leviticus 27:8 - It shows how the poor are given consideration in serving God, showing they are all in equal footing with rich man in front of God and letting them to worship and sacrifice what they can afford.

Deuteronomy 15:7, Deuteronomy 15:11 - How the poor are given help, not just ignored.

1 Samuel 2:8 = The priveledge of the poor.

The list goes on and it would be too exhaustive to list them all. Do a search of all verses if you are interested to learn more.

Redeemed Papist 01-25-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer (Post 841611)
I think you have a problem with simple reading comprehension.

In the Scripture you quote, Jesus is speaking specifically to His disciples.

He is not saying, "Blessed are ALL THE poor". No, He's saying, "Blessed are YOU poor".

In other words, "You, disciples, who gave up your possessions to follow me, are blessed even though you lack earthly wealth, because you will inherit the kingdom of God".

It doesn't mean, "All poor people go to Heaven"!

I've just had a lesson in humility. I always assumed this was bleeding obvious and didn't need to be explained but now I realise how deluded the unsaved really are that they don't get this. I am allowing myself to get out of touch and take far too much basic intelligence for granted.