The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Matthew 5:39 turn the other check or not (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=30565)

Jamie the silverfox 10-18-2009 06:19 PM

Matthew 5:39 turn the other check or not

I thought we christians were to turn the other check until I read this and I've verified it's accuracy to the 1611 king james bible TM

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.:shock:

I know there are lots of filthy muslims :ninja2:dressed as assassins with bombs in there lunch boxes etc and pedophile priests :pope:posing a security risk trying to hypnotise our children to satan so could some nice pastor explain it for us all :thumbsup:

FoundGirlJNB 10-18-2009 06:22 PM

Re: Matthew 5:39 turn the other check or not

Could you please translate to American English (God's favorite language) first? I didn't quit get what you mean?

What is a "check" and how do you turn it?:wacko:

Ezekiel Bathfire 10-18-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie the silverfox (Post 411993)
[...]
Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.:shock:

I know there are lots of filthy muslims :ninja2:dressed as assassins with bombs in there lunch boxes etc and pedophile priests :pope:posing a security risk trying to hypnotise our children to satan so could some nice pastor explain it for us all :thumbsup:

The injunction in Matthew does not permit you to stand idly by as abominations are committed in public to the distress of True Christians™ (See the episode of Jesus and the Money changers.)

It does not speak against the prevention of abominations unto The Lord (Homerism, witches, working on the Sabbath, etc.)

It cannot speak against the repression of things God Hates (see Pastor Zeke's signature)

This verse looks to personal behaviour. When some giant nigra with a gun has shot your entire family and is now asking for your wallet, you say, "OK, here it is, take the car also." (Then as soon as he's gone, you get hold of Bobby-Joe and The Boys and make your way to the large, flammable, wooden cross that stands by Jordan Fork...)

OK? That's "turning the other cheek" :thumbsup:

JennyD 10-18-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie the silverfox (Post 411993)
I thought we christians were to turn the other check until I read this and I've verified it's accuracy to the 1611 king james bible TM

I really wish you God-mockers would bother to find out what you're talking about before you begin spouting off idiocy.

Quote:

In his books "Engaging the Powers" and "The Powers That Be," Wink argues that Jesus rejected two common ways of responding to injustice: violent resistance and passive acceptance. Instead, Jesus advocated a "third way," an assertive but non-violent form of protest.

The key to understanding Wink's argument is rigorous attention to the social customs of the Jewish homeland in the first century and what these sayings would have meant in that context.

To illustrate with the saying about turning the other cheek: it specifies that the person has been struck on the right cheek. How can you be struck on the right cheek? As Wink emphasizes, you have to act this out in order to get the point: you can be struck on the right cheek only by an overhand blow with the left hand, or with a backhand blow from the right hand. (Try it).

But in that world, people did not use the left hand to strike people. It was reserved for "unseemly" uses. Thus, being struck on the right cheek meant that one had been backhanded with the right hand. Given the social customs of the day, a backhand blow was the way a superior hit an inferior, whereas one fought social equals with fists.

This means the saying presupposes a setting in which a superior is beating a peasant. What should the peasant do? "Turn the other cheek." What would be the effect? The only way the superior could continue the beating would be with an overhand blow with the fist--which would have meant treating the peasant as an equal.

Perhaps the beating would not have been stopped by this. But for the superior, it would at the very least have been disconcerting: he could continue the beating only by treating the peasant as a social peer. As Wink puts it, the peasant was in effect saying, "I am your equal. I refuse to be humiliated anymore." That is not all. The sayings about "going the second mile" and "giving your cloak to one who sues you for your coat" make a similar point: they suggest creative non-violent ways of protesting oppression.

Roman law permitted soldiers to force civilians to carry their gear for one mile, but because of abuses stringently prohibited more than one mile.

If they ask you to do that, Jesus says, go ahead; but then carry their gear a second mile. Put them in a disconcerting situation: either they risk getting in trouble, or they will have to wrestle their gear back from you.

Under civil law, a coat could be confiscated for non-payment of debt. For the poor, the coat often also served as a blanket at night. In that world, the only other garment typically worn by a peasant was an inner garment, a cloak. So if they take your coat, Jesus says, give them your cloak as well. "Strip naked," as Wink puts it. Show them what the system is doing to you. Moreover, in that world, nakedness shamed the person who observed it.

Thus, these sayings from the Sermon on the Mount, these seemingly mild sayings, are actually potent ways of confounding and exposing injustice. King and Gandhi may not have been aware of the finer points of modern Biblical scholarship, but they were no doubt clear that Jesus was counseling a radical new way of empowering the underclass.

Jamie the silverfox 10-18-2009 07:08 PM

How do i delete this message I only get the edit button can someone help me please:angry:

Jamie the silverfox 10-18-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostGirlNY (Post 411997)
Could you please translate to American English (God's favorite language) first? I didn't quit get what you mean?

What is a "check" and how do you turn it?:wacko:

I ment to say cheek not check,
I must apologise this was a miss print OBVIOUSLY satan:devil: got into my computer put some nasty grammar virus in that google spell checker I rely on, I'll run a virus check and see if it picks anything up:nerd:

JennyD 10-18-2009 07:49 PM

Maybe you should read my response to your query instead of twice posting the same lame excuse for your sloppy typing.