The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Auntie Flo's Prayer Shack for Women (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pickled Hog's Testicle Recipe (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=67556)

Humongous 07-15-2011 06:49 PM

Pickled Hog's Testicle Recipe

well, hi ladies. I thought I'd share a simplified version of Cousin Jeb's famous Pickled Hog's Testicle recipe. Ifn y'all all are planning a Church Cook out, or just someythin nice to snack on.

Of course, I omitted a few top secret family herbs and spices from the recipe, but this is the basic directions.

God Bless, and Happy Hoggin!

Ingredients

• 12 extra large Hog Testicles
  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf

Directions

1. Place testicles in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let testicles stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
  3. Transfer the testicles to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.

Sister Kitty 07-15-2011 07:44 PM

Re: Pickled Hog's Testicle Recipe

Sounds delicious Sister.

I also have a recipe to share, for an Eskimo delicacy, Igunak.

Ingredients:

1 walrus, preferably dead.
Many beach rocks of various sizes

Instructions:

1. If walrus is not dead, use large beach rocks to make walrus dead. If walrus is dead, proceed to step 2.

2. Bury dead walrus under beach rocks (to keep the flies and scavengers away).

3. Let walrus rot for a minimum of 4 months, though 10 months is best to fully bring out the flavor.

4. Dig up walrus and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Humongous 07-15-2011 08:02 PM

Mmmm! Hoowee, Sister Kitty, that's got my mouth watering! I sure wish the good lord would send a few walruses to my neck of the bog. Do ya think I could try that recipe with an opossum?

Sister Kitty 07-15-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humongous (Post 775070)
Mmmm! Hoowee, Sister Kitty, that's got my mouth watering! I sure wish the good lord would send a few walruses to my neck of the bog. Do ya think I could try that recipe with an opossum?

You live in a warmer climate than us Eskimos and opossums are considerably smaller than walrus. But the recipe is sound and time tested, I think you only need to adjust the decomposition time. I don't think there would be much opossum left after 4 months, let alone 10. Perhaps experiment with a week, then two and see what amount of rotting time works best. Let me know how it turns out. :thumbsup:

María Gálvez-Villalobos 07-15-2011 09:57 PM

Well is gonna be difficult for me to try those recipes sisters but here I give you thje recipe for the 14th bestest dish of the world: Fideuà.

Quote:

Fideuà:
2 cigalas (a small lobster)
4 shrimps
1 fish fillet (cut in pieces)
1 squid (cut in pieces)
250g mussels
200g clams
1 ñora/ red sweet pepper
1 tomato (peeled and chopped)
1 garlic clove
1/2 slice toasted bread
a few strings of saffron
250 g short noodles
The content of the fideuà can vary according to one's taste. Choose the mixture of seafood to one's liking.

Ñora is a type of pepper from Murcia, and it is sold dry. If it is not available one can substitue with red pepper. It is necessary to soak the ñora beforehand until soft, which takes several hours or overnight. Afterwards, take out the seeds and chop fine. Zabalo strongly recommends the use of ñora. It is possible to use it dry. Fry the dry ñora until it blackens, take out the seeds and crush it fine in a mortar. Reserve.
In a pan, put the cleaned mussels in boiling water with a bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Cook until opened. Repeat the same for the clams. Reserve cooked mussels and clams. One good way to clean the sand inside the shells of mussels and clams is to soak them in water with some flour and let them sit for several hours in the refrigerator (which can be kept for up to 2 days), during which change the water two to three times.
Fry the shrimps and cigalas in the paella until brown, remove from the paella and reserve.
Fry the squid pieces in the paella until brown, reserve.
Fry the fish pieces in the paella until brown, reserve. The type of fish chosen should be firm enough for frying. A good fish to use is rape, monkfish.
Grind the toast well in a mortar. In the paella (without cleaning it after frying the seafood, so the sauce can pick up the taste), fry the finely chopped garlic, add tomato and chopped ñora. If red pepper is used, cut it into small pieces and fry with the garlic before adding the tomato. Add the toast. Add the saffron strings. Cook until it has a consistency of a thick sauce.
Add the noodles and stir to mix with the sauce. Add the stock up to the brim of the paella, leaving 2 cm. Distribute the noodles and let it cook with medium heat, uncovered. Adjust seasoning.
When the liquid starts to evaporate and absorbed by the noodles, around 10 minutes, one can put back the fish, shrimps and shellfish on top. Cook for another 5 minutes. Some prefer to put the paella in the oven for the last 5 minutes, to give the noodles a crispy taste. Remember to try the noodles, if they are still too hard, it may be necessary to add more stock.

And I putted it opn english for you too!:thumbsup::)

HTannor 07-15-2011 10:52 PM

Yum, bring 'em on.

Barry 07-16-2011 12:14 AM

Pickled hogs testicles is a favourite in our house hold and there is nothing better to help slurp up the juices than a nice bit of dill bread. The secret of making dill bread is energetic work with a good dill dough.

Shela Tansper 07-16-2011 12:01 PM

Hogs testicles are a bit hard to come by in these parts i wonder if i can replace them with rams

Pastor Ezekiel 07-16-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shela Tansper (Post 775213)
Hogs testicles are a bit hard to come by in these parts i wonder if i can replace them with rams

Oh Jesus that just sounds gross. :bad:

landoverlover 07-17-2011 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sisters Kitty and Humongous, those recipes sound delish. I think they'd go well with some cheese, preferably Casu Marzu, a Sicilian and Sardinian delicacy. You can buy it on the street there, or make it yourself when the weather turns muggy.

Here's the definition from my favorite cookbook, and you can improvise from there.

Derived from Pecorino, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, from the Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long.[1] When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.

Casu marzu is considered to be unsafe to eat by Sardinian aficionados when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which can kill the maggots. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is often cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine.

Enjoy!

Humongous 07-18-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringy Bean (Post 775128)
Pickled hogs testicles is a favourite in our house hold and there is nothing better to help slurp up the juices than a nice bit of dill bread. The secret of making dill bread is energetic work with a good dill dough.

well, that's God's honest truth, friend Stringy Bean!

I love drinking that testicle brine out of the jar. It really perks you up! try a cup testicle of brine in lieu of coffee, it'll change your life!

yic

María Gálvez-Villalobos 07-18-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringy Bean (Post 775128)

I know to make bread so I am good whit my hands on the dough.

So, I know what is 'dough' - but what is a dill?

:(

Humongous 07-18-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María Gálvez-Villalobos (Post 775092)
Well is gonna be difficult for me to try those recipes sisters but here I give you thje recipe for the 14th bestest dish of the world: Fideuà.

And I putted it opn english for you too!:thumbsup::)

Hoowee! Friend Maria, that's a lot of seafood! It kinda brings up painful memories for me though. a few years back, cousin jeb got arrested at the Chattahoochee aquairium for making lewd acts in front of the mother of pearl oyster display? well, compoundin the trouble that mother of pearl oyster was surrounded by her under-aged oyster children! so now cousin jeb, has a lifetime ban from the aquarium and he had to register as a child-mollusker! the court even made him disband his beloved club, N.A.M.O.L.A., The North American Man-Oyster Love Association? What's wrong with lovin oysters? The're delicious!

Barry 07-18-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María Gálvez-Villalobos (Post 775961)

So, I know what is 'dough' - but what is a dill?

:(

I am pretty sure, dills are tortoise legs in vinegar.

María Gálvez-Villalobos 07-18-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringy Bean (Post 775987)
I am pretty sure, dills are tortoise legs in vinegar.

Are they big dills? And how put you them in the dough? Or are they soft and esquashy and easy to insert in the loaf you are making?

Barry 07-19-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María Gálvez-Villalobos (Post 776010)
Are they big dills? And how put you them in the dough? Or are they soft and esquashy and easy to insert in the loaf you are making?

Maria, whenever you knead your dill dough, I would be very happy to come over yours and help you pop a few buns in the oven. Insertion is never normaly a problem, just so long as you have enough lubrication. For a sweet treat, I would love to show you how to slide the dill dough deep into your honey pot, which I am sure, would leave you feeling very satisfied. In return, perhaps you would allow me to have a nibble of your melons.

Witch Hammer 02-09-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Kitty (Post 775066)
Sounds delicious Sister.

I also have a recipe to share, for an Eskimo delicacy, Igunak.

Ingredients:

1 walrus, preferably dead.
Many beach rocks of various sizes

Instructions:

1. If walrus is not dead, use large beach rocks to make walrus dead. If walrus is dead, proceed to step 2.

2. Bury dead walrus under beach rocks (to keep the flies and scavengers away).

3. Let walrus rot for a minimum of 4 months, though 10 months is best to fully bring out the flavor.

4. Dig up walrus and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Sounds delicious! I wonder if it would be as tasty if manatee carcass were substituted for walrus? My brother in law just killed a whole herd with his improvised depth-charges, more than enough to host a fermented sea-cow luau!:drool:

If we get them in the ground now, they should be ready just in time for summer!B)

Jim Farmer 02-09-2015 01:18 AM

According to this, timing with the walrus is utterly critical - so it may be different with manatee:

whorishwoman 02-09-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humongous (Post 775048)

well, hi ladies. I thought I'd share a simplified version of Cousin Jeb's famous Pickled Hog's Testicle recipe. Ifn y'all all are planning a Church Cook out, or just someythin nice to snack on.

Of course, I omitted a few top secret family herbs and spices from the recipe, but this is the basic directions.

God Bless, and Happy Hoggin!

Ingredients

• 12 extra large Hog Testicles
  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf

Directions

1. Place testicles in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let testicles stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
  3. Transfer the testicles to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.

Don't like the thought of having hog testicles in my mouth.

Didymus Much 02-09-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorishwoman (Post 1133612)
Don't like the thought of having hog testicles in my mouth.

The rest of us do.