The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Teaching His Word (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What Does God Say About Polygamy? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=46736)

Pastor Ezekiel 07-17-2010 12:28 PM

What Does God Say About Polygamy?

Despite the negative public image that the practice has been saddled with over the last 100 years, and despite recent secular claims that it is actually harmful to society, Polygamy is in fact a Godly lifestyle. Set aside for a moment the Mormon and Islamic bastardization of the practice of polygamy, and you will find that the Holy Christian Bible heartily endorses the possession of multiple wives. King Soloman had 700 wives and 300 concubines. King David had at least 10. In fact there are a dozen or more verses that explicitly mention polygamy.

Quote:

Genesis 4:19
And Lamech took unto him two wives.

Genesis 16:1-4
Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar. And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai. And Sarai ... gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived.

Genesis 25:6
But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had....

Genesis 26:34
Esau ... took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite.

Genesis 31:17
Then Jacob rose up, and set ... his wives upon camels.

Exodus 21:10
If he take him another wife....

Deuteronomy 21:15
If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated....

Judges 8:30
And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.

1 Samuel 1:1-2
Elkanah ... had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah.

2 Samuel 12:7-8
Thus saith the LORD God of Israel ... I gave thee ... thy master's wives....

1 Kings 11:2-3
Solomon ... had seven hundred wives ... and three hundred concubines.

1 Chronicles 4:5
And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.

2 Chronicles 11:21
Rehoboam ... took eighteen wives, and threescore concubines.

2 Chronicles 13:21
But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives....

2 Chronicles 24:3
Jehoiada took for him two wives....

Mt.25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

So "Why," you might well ask, "do True Christian™ men not engage in the Blessed practice of polygamy?" "Why", you might ask, "doesn't a handsome young pastor like yourself have a dozen or more wives flitting around the house, waiting on you, servicing your every need, whim and desire as God commands?"

Well the answer to that question is the same answer to the question "Why don't we stone queers to death, or those who work on the Sabbath?"

Unfortunately God in His infinite wisdom has also commanded us to obey secular laws. :thumbdown:

Quote:

1 Peter 2:13
Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man.

I'm not sure why God inserted that one into the contract, and believe you me we've had a team of high-priced joo lawyers working for years on ways to get around it. But until they do, or until Jesus comes back to earth with a flaming sword sticking out of His loving mouth, I'm afraid we have to make do with just one wife. All the more reason to Pray for Judgment Day, Brothers. :(

*Please note that the practice of polyandry IS strictly prohibited by God's Laws as well as man's. We'll have none of that perverted, unnatural behavior thank you very much! :nono:

Ezekiel Bathfire 07-17-2010 01:05 PM

Re: What Does God Say About Polygamy?

For any True Christian™ men out there who have difficulty keeping it in their trousers, may I suggest a reading of Ge:38:13-26:
Quote:

Ge:38:13 And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep.
Quote:

Ge:38:14: And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her with a vail, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife.
Ge:38:15: When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face.
Ge:38:16: And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?
Ge:38:17: And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it?
Ge:38:18: And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.
Ge:38:19: And she arose, and went away, and laid by her vail from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
Ge:38:20: And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not.
Ge:38:21: Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the way side? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.
Ge:38:22: And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place.
Ge:38:23: And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.
Ge:38:24: And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.
Ge:38:25: When she was brought forth, she sent to her father in law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff.
Ge:38:26: And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.
And thus we take away the Godly message, via the Patriarch Judah, that harlots are fine for the odd release of casual desires at any time of the day or night and regardless of your state of matrimony but, in principle they should be burnt (even if - or perhaps especially if - she is carrying your child) unless they have the goods on you, in which case, you can pass it off as a joke with good-natured wisdom.

Who says that God does not have a solid grasp on the way human nature works?

Pastor Isaac Peters 07-17-2010 02:00 PM

Anointed Biblical teaching, Brethren. What's more, while hippy-dippy liberal Christians will argue that the Old Testament laws on polygyny were set aside in the New Testament (or rather, their personal opinion of what the Lord meant to say in the New Testament), the New Testament actually takes polygyny for granted. Bishops and deacons are required to be monogamous:

1 Tim. 3:2: A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1 Tim. 3:12: Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

If all Christian men were monogamous as a matter of course, why would the Lord insert that requirement specifically for bishops and deacons? The Bible contains no superfluous words.

Dirk 07-17-2010 06:17 PM

I have no wife at the moment, but I try to get multiple wives! Too bad the liberal law bans us from living the way of our Lord.

Pastor Rune Enoe 07-17-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Isaac Peters (Post 560508)
Anointed Biblical teaching, Brethren. What's more, while hippy-dippy liberal Christians will argue that the Old Testament laws on polygyny were set aside in the New Testament (or rather, their personal opinion of what the Lord meant to say in the New Testament), the New Testament actually takes polygyny for granted. Bishops and deacons are required to be monogamous:

As if there was a difference between the Old and the New Testament. People seem to forget that both Testaments were written by the same Author.

Our Lord Himself told a parable about ten virgins who went out to marry the same bridegroom.

Matthew 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
[...]
Matthew 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Try telling this to one of those fluffy-bunny Christians and they'll answer that it's "only" a parable. Yes of course it's a parable, and the bridegroom is Jesus Christ Himself.

Why would Jesus liken Himself unto a bridegroom who marries ten virgins in one night, unless He supported polygamy?

Oakland "Reb" Griner 07-18-2010 01:16 AM

Regarding the distorted practice of the Mormons in this regard, it was mentioned here a while back, that although Brigham Young was apparently faithful to his 55 wives, not all of them were faithful to him.

Shocking, isn't it?

This goes to what Pastor Zeke posted regarding polyandry! Truly an abominable and detestable practice!

The Mormons are SO damned, it is just a wonderment that God hasn't smote them already.

Oakland "Reb" Griner 07-18-2010 01:22 AM

Oh, almost forgot this;

I have noted repeatedly, that while modern era Mormons are mindful of the current LDS prohibition against polygamy, with their peculiar fascination with genealogy, most of them are aware of their direct ancestors practice of this and they cite proudly their descent from many 'big name' Mormons of the nineteenth century.

You can't help but think that if the Mormon politburo reversed itself, the practice would flourish yet again, and sadly, with all the non-Biblical befuddlements of that evil fool, Joseph Smith.

Pastor Isaac Peters 07-18-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakland "Reb" Griner (Post 560794)
I have noted repeatedly, that while modern era Mormons are mindful of the current LDS prohibition against polygamy, with their peculiar fascination with genealogy, most of them are aware of their direct ancestors practice of this and they cite proudly their descent from many 'big name' Mormons of the nineteenth century.

You'd think that Mormons would have noticed by now how flighty their deity is, constantly changing his mind to fit changing social norms, quite unlike the real God worshiped by True Christians™:

Hebr. 13:8: Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

BelieverInGod 07-18-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakland "Reb" Griner (Post 560794)
Oh, almost forgot this;

You can't help but think that if the Mormon politburo reversed itself, the practice would flourish yet again, and sadly, with all the non-Biblical befuddlements of that evil fool, Joseph Smith.

Just wanted to correct you on this, the Mormons have never done away with polygamy. They only say that you must follow the laws of the land. Therefore a Mormon who lives in Dubai (example) can have 4 wives and be fine with their church. They also believe in serial polygamy. When a couple divorces the man is allowed to remarry but the woman is not. Each woman he remarries will be his wife on his new planet after their dead. My B-I-L will have 3 wives + whatever God gives to him.

Another thing that they will do is if you're an older woman who has never married, you can be sealed to a married man. This means that you will not be allowed to marry here on earth but will become this mans wife in the "Celestial Kingdom". I'm really not sure what happens to unsealed women if they die as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in their books. I asked my sister once while I was still single and all she said is that "I'm sure heavenly father has a plan". :shrug:

As for the original posting about polygamy. My father used to joke that God's punishment for polygamy was multiple mother in laws. Jokes aside though, I think it would take a very strong Christian man in order to handle multiple wives. Face it, we're catty and who knows what messes you'd be coming home to every day. There is also a strange phenomena regarding our "time". Women who live in close proximity tend to start cycling together (if you know what I mean) do you really want to deal with that? I have no idea why God would punish you men with such a trick, you would think that not being on the same schedule would work out better for everyone involved.

handmaiden 07-28-2010 06:33 AM

There have been studies conducted that suggests that polygamy benefits children by allowing for shared childcare and household duties.

Contributely Yours,

Handmaiden

BelieverInGod 07-28-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 566706)
There have been studies conducted that suggests that polygamy benefits children by allowing for shared childcare and household duties.

Contributely Yours,

Handmaiden

Oh I agree that there are benefits, especially back in the old days of every man heading off to war and a bunch being killed. I'm concerned about the jealousies that would arise. It would take a very strong man to keep that household reigned in.

handmaiden 07-28-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelieverInGod (Post 566716)
Oh I agree that there are benefits, especially back in the old days of every man heading off to war and a bunch being killed. I'm concerned about the jealousies that would arise. It would take a very strong man to keep that household reigned in.

You concerns make sense. However, the polygamy detailed in the Bible, and practiced elsewhere did not involve True Christian ladies. I believe that a love of Jesus amongst the multiple wives coupled with a strong spirit of faith upon the Christian husband could manage such a household.

After all, Christian Sisters look after one another.

Confidently Yours,

Handmaiden