The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Christian history forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Linguistics - God's Perspective (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=39834)

Ezekiel Bathfire 03-30-2010 09:24 PM

Linguistics - God's Perspective

1 Attachment(s)
Biblical linguists

Before we go any further, please consider that KJV 1611 was written in American. This was God’s choice of language. If you’ve a problem with this, take it up with God.

The Book of Genesis, chapters 6-9, tells how God sends a great flood to destroy the earth because of man's wickedness and because the earth is corrupt. So it is at this point that we start out search for the development of language, because before that, all that was worth saying was, “It’s raining again.” And the ink on old documents has obviously run and smeared everywhere.

After the flood, God divides up the whole earth. Not just the Middle East but everywhere. And this is how He did it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

I quote from Sprengling and Graham, “Barhebraeus’ Scholia on the Old Testament,” pp. 40–41, to Gen 9:22, which I’m sure you have all read.
Quote:

Bar Hebraeus (Syrian Christian scholar, 1226-86): “‘And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and showed [it] to his two brothers.’ That is…that Canaan was cursed and not Ham, and with the very curse he became black and the blackness was transmitted to his descendents…. And he said, ‘Cursed be Canaan! A servant of servants shall he be to his brothers.”
The Bible then goes on about the other descendants of Noah who populated the known world. (As God knows everything, “The Known World” = everywhere).

Some of them settled in Babylon:

Ge:11:4: And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Ge:11:5: And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
Ge:11:6: And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Ge:11:7: Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
Ge:11:8: So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

We see that the Tower of Babel was not built for the worship and praise of God, but to the glory of man, to "make a name" for the builders.

And here we have the start of all languages.

Now, consider this. If you were given 3 planks of wood, all painted green and you were told to “Make them different colors” how many colors of paint would you require?... Yes, that’s right, 2. You could leave one green and paint the others red and blue. OK, this means that Jesus spoke American or at least was fluent in it, as God had no reason to inconvenience Him.

Rev. Jim Osborne 03-31-2010 12:27 AM

Re: Linguistics - God's Perspective

What a wonderful report, Brother Bathfire. That puts a needlessly complex subject like linguistics into terms that even the simplest of us can understand. I do believe as Christians we need to advocate the Intelligent Design hypothesis of Language, where God purposely made people speak different languages so they can't understand each other. Secular schools and universities, on the other hand, push the laughable idea that languages somehow "evolved".

These evolutionists don't just apply their theories to lifeforms, but also to words! But, the so-called evolution of language is patently false. According to these people, English and Dot-head languages come from the same source: Sanskrit. But, a cursory glance at the different writing styles shows this is false. Furthermore they want to say that German and English are very, very closely related but if that were true, how come we can't understand Krauts? Wouldn't we be able to understand like 25% or at least 10% of what they say? No, it all sounds like moonspeak to me.

That is not to say that micro-evolution of languages has not happened. According to the chart, Eskimo is descended from Russian, and then Injun is further descended from Eskimo. These three ethnic groups (and languages) actually make a lot of sense because all three of them have much in common. They are violent savages who drink too much and live in cold environments. Your chart proves this in a way that secular linguistics cannot explain.

All and all, this was excellent research on your part and I pray that someday we can teach our kids in public schools the Truth about language, and not some half-cocked hare-brained "theories" coming from French beatniks who had too much absinthe.

Pastor Isaac Peters 03-31-2010 03:11 AM

Amen! Anyone who feels like spouting some politically correct nonsense about "evolution" of languages is welcome to answer these questions.

Jacob the Angry Liar 03-31-2010 04:10 AM

The KJV 1611 Bible leaves no doubts on this matter!

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (Genesis 1:3)

"Let there be light". Hmm, that sounds like American to me, not sand-nigra gibberish or pentacoastal babbling, like some false Christians and secularists suggest!

eternallysaved 03-31-2010 05:49 AM

That board analogy was a thing of brilliance, brother. Thank you very much for the report.

I'd never thought about that, before. It makes perfect sense, too.

But I had a couple questions, if I may.

What does this mean for prayers directed to Jesus by foreigners, in non-American languages? What if they don't speak American very well, but still try - like these guys running the convenience store up the road from me?

Ezekiel Bathfire 03-31-2010 01:40 PM

Thank you all for your interest in my humble essay. As a matter of minor information, it is clear that God, although He wished us to stop conspiring to see Him by building big towers, did not deprive us of the ability, through free will, to learn another language. Nor is it Ungodly, as Jesus and the disciples all spoke tongues.

This means that somewhere in our soul there is an angel that works like ‘Google Translate.’ If this were not miraculous enough, the angel works at various levels. A well configured angel will do the job impressively but even an untrained angel will allow your words to be conveyed to some foreigner who pretends not to understand. This is best done by repeating your order loudly and clearly and, if possible, imitating his accent.

I tried this on a few of my workers at the meat packing plant, “HEY! JOSE, I WANTA YOU-A SHOULD-A CLEAN-A MY CAR-A, AUTOMOBLIA! COMPRENDO?” This seemed to work, although he did look a little quizzical whilst he pretended that he spoke no American. Now I will say that I probably should not have said, “CLEAN_A” but “WASH-A,” as all he did was rub it down with a dry rag and brush the hood with a yard brush, but this in no way negates the result.

You may wish to try this simple experiment yourselves. :thumbsup:

Cranky Old Man 03-31-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternallysaved (Post 496571)
What does this mean for prayers directed to Jesus by foreigners, in non-American languages? What if they don't speak American very well, but still try - like these guys running the convenience store up the road from me?

Who do they not just learn proper American like we did?

Greg Engott 04-25-2010 03:27 PM

What I have written below is a quote from another thread I started before I was pointed in the direction of this one.

I imagine that the King James version would not have been written originally in American given that King James was King of Scotland and this version was printed at least 100 years (if not more) before the United States was conceived (not necessarily as it is known today). It is also a translation from earlier Greek and Latin versions with some caveats (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Bible - not the most trustworthy source, I know, but it quotes external sources).

Please can you explain how American has become God's language thousands of years after the events in the bible took place, which was long before any form of English was spoken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language).

Pastor Ezekiel 04-25-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gegengott (Post 515092)
What I have written below is a quote from another thread I started before I was pointed in the direction of this one.

I imagine that the King James version would not have been written originally in American given that King James was King of Scotland and this version was printed at least 100 years (if not more) before the United States was conceived (not necessarily as it is known today). It is also a translation from earlier Greek and Latin versions with some caveats (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Bible - not the most trustworthy source, I know, but it quotes external sources).

Please can you explain how American has become God's language thousands of years after the events in the bible took place, which was long before any form of English was spoken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language).

Please see my sermon on the topic HERE.

Chris T 04-25-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gegengott (Post 515092)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 515139)
Please see my sermon on the topic HERE.

Why can't you people just ask nicely for a Pastor's guidance? I understand if you aren't techologically inclined enough to use a "search" function, but all you have to do is ask! If you had just said, "Excuse me, Pastor Ezekiel, how do you know if you're reading the True Bible©?"
I'm sure you would have gotten the answers you seek, without making yourself look like a fool.

GoldenShower 02-10-2016 07:32 PM

Firstly, American is not a language, if you are from the USA, you most likely speak English, which originates in England. And I can't take my issue up with God, mostly because he does not exist

Didymus Much 02-10-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1173966)
...And I can't take my issue up with God, mostly because he does not exist

So prove it, already.

GoldenShower 02-10-2016 09:06 PM

until something is proven true, it is reasonable to believe it is not

Didymus Much 02-10-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1173981)

Why don't your personal feelings have to live up to that same standard?

As you seem to be a bit slow on the uptake, I'll expand that thought:

You think God doesn't exist, but you can't prove it. Why do you believe that? Even worse, you claim it is the truth, yet when asked for your evidence of God's non-existence, you refuse to answer.

You don't like it when people claim things are true even when there's no evidence for their case? Stop doing it yourself.

GoldenShower 02-10-2016 09:28 PM

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

I assume that you don't believe that golden unicorns exist, but you can't prove that they do not. It's the same principal

Didymus Much 02-10-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1173988)
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

I assume that you don't believe that golden unicorns exist, but you can't prove that they do not. It's the same principal

Unicorns DO exist, according to the Bible (it doesn't specify what colour they are, though).

Yeah, keep calling these people ignorant while not having a clue what the Bible says. :slowclap:

Ezekiel Bathfire 02-10-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1173981)

Prove to us that you have some intelligence...

Pastor Ezekiel 02-11-2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1173966)
Firstly, American is not a language, if you are from the USA, you most likely speak English, which originates in England. And I can't take my issue up with God, mostly because he does not exist

So you resurrected a thread that was 6 years old just to make this point? One that has already been made countless times? :huh:

Are you aware that this is a CHRISTIAN forum? :rebuke:

GoldenShower 02-11-2016 07:16 AM

I got an A* in all my GCSE's and A Levels.

Didymus Much 02-11-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenshark123 (Post 1174038)
I got an A* in all my GCSE's and A Levels.

Sorry, but empty and meaningless internet braggadocio is all about confirmed enemy kills as a Special Ops sniper w/ Seal Team 6 now. :sleep2: