The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Best Faith is Blind Faith (John 20:24-29) (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=102287)

Jedediah 10-26-2014 08:13 AM

The Best Faith is Blind Faith (John 20:24-29)

Upon His Resurrection, Jesus paid a visit to several of His disciples. The Gospel of John gives the following account:

John 20:24-25
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

Thomas wanted proof. Thomas wanted evidence. It was not enough for him to simply have faith. Jesus caught wind of Thomas' insistence on evidence, and eventually made an appearance. The account continues:

John 20:26-29
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

While we can all rejoice in Thomas' renewal of faith, the demands he put on Jesus leave much to be desired. Faith is good any way you slice it, but Jesus tells us that it is more blessed to have faith in the absence of evidence.

The best faith is blind faith. Praise!

Elmer G. White 10-26-2014 04:10 PM

Re: The Best Faith is Blind Faith (John 20:24-29)

Glory to God, Brother! :praise:

The Gospel by John is so simple, so easily approachable, yet twisted into all kinds of half-truths by the 'liberals' aka minions of Satan.

I just adore John. He shows the Divine nature of Jesus, tells us that only True Christians™ are at a spiritual level that is adequate for stone-casting and explains this Faith issue that you described in an eloquent manner. Simple plain Faith. If we have that we can ultimately be eligible for God's conditional LOVE. Glory!

It all adds up, the emphasis on faith unquestioning that began in the OT.

Deuteronomy 32:20
And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

And this wonderful arch culminates in the pericope you referred to. Thank you. And thank Jesus Sweet Savior!

:jesus:

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye:

Baxter Gladwell III 10-26-2014 08:03 PM

I agree that Thomas should have accepted the FACT of Jesus' resurrection based on hearsay alone, rather than insisting on verification. But OH WHAT JOY he must have felt, probing Jesus' holes like that.

Hopefully when we get to Heaven, God will let us travel back in time to experience historical events like this firsthand. It would be the experience of a lifetime to finger his holes and put my whole fist in his gash. Not out of doubt, but out of adulation and praise.

Heaven is going to be SO GREAT! :thumbsup:

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 10-26-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedediah (Post 1116419)
The best faith is blind faith. Praise!

Indeed, Brother Jedediah. In our church this morning, Pastor Steve went further and explained to us that the ONLY true faith is blind faith. Faith, by its very nature, must be blind (he said) because faith that relies on evidence is not faith at all - it is contaminated, like secular science, by a lack of trust in God's Holy Word, which equates to a lack of faith.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Jim Farmer 10-26-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

If anyone other than Jesus said you should believe something that otherwise seems impossible just because he thinks you should believe it and if you don't you're a loser, you would think he were an arrogant twat. But this is Jesus, the son of God - He should expect us to blindly believe Him. And if people don't, they are the arrogant twats for questioning Him - all those atheists, all those false religionists - arrogant twats the lot of them! :thumbdown:
I know if I were to see Jesus, I would throw myself down on the ground in front of Him, I would worship His toes, His feet, His calves, His knees, His thighs - you get the drift.

Tree of Woe 01-22-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Farmer (Post 1116474)
[/B]I know if I were to see Jesus, I would throw myself down on the ground in front of Him, I would worship His toes, His feet, His calves, His knees, His thighs - you get the drift.
[/COLOR]

I am truly humbled by the length of your dedication, and how far you will go to please Jesus. If we could all just get down on our knees and open our mouths in praise surrounding Jesus. Submit to him and take him into us.

Sometimes blind faith means just getting on your knees before your master!