The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Teaching His Word (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   another errorsin KJV (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=102909)

demosfen 11-24-2014 03:37 AM

another errorsin KJV

This may be of help to anyone looking to recover from KJV-only malaise. Was reading my KJV the other day and found yet another error -

Mat 27:9 Then what had been declared through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled when he said, "They took the 30 pieces of silver, the value of the man on whom a price had been set by the Israelis,

Prophet Jeremiah never prophesied about 30 pieces of silver, the prophecy is actually in Zechariah 11:12,13

Elmer G. White 11-24-2014 04:15 AM

Re: another errorsin KJV

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121154)
This may be of help to anyone looking to recover from KJV-only malaise. Was reading my KJV the other day and found yet another error -

Mat 27:9 Then what had been declared through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled when he said, "They took the 30 pieces of silver, the value of the man on whom a price had been set by the Israelis,

Prophet Jeremiah never prophesied about 30 pieces of silver, the prophecy is actually in Zechariah 11:12,13

Dear girl,

What on Earth does this have to do KJV or the false translations?
NIV: Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel,
NET: Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty silver coins, the price of the one whose price had been set by the people of Israel
Duay-Rheims: Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremias the prophet, saying: And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was prized, whom they prized of the children of Israel.

And the Greek text: τοτε επληρωθη το ρηθεν δια ιερεμιου του προφητου λεγοντος και ελαβον τα τριακοντα αργυρια την τιμην του τετιμημενου ον ετιμησαντο απο υιων ισραηλ

The same prophet in all these, I didn't list all of them, as no need to repeat it endlessly.

In fact, your post has nothing to do with KJV vs. the false translations but with exegetics and people trying to find contradictions in the Bible. By associating your "finding" to the KJV-false translations debate you are employing irrational thinking patterns. Pseudodiagnostics implies that you are taking a piece of data that is per se existing but using it to prove a point that is irrelevant to the data. In addition, you have fallen into confirmation bias by seeing the information through you bias against KJV.

While the actual issue (Jeremy vs. Other prophets) may merit discussion, that discussion is about the reliability of the Biblical text itself. It has nothing to do with the KJV debate, as KJV is faithful to the original - in this case the others are, as well. Of course, this issue has been thoroughly discussed in various commentaries.

From the site your links refer to:
Quote:

... unquestionably the name Jeremiah is the wording of the original here, because it is supported by virtually all witnesses and because it is the harder reading.
See, no relevance to KJV. Actually, you are claiming that God made a mistake when He dictated the Bible to the scribes.

Please, research an issue before going ballistic about it.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye:

demosfen 11-25-2014 03:34 AM

God made no mistake. All your English Bibles are translated from erroneous Greek manuscripts by men. Never did Jeremiah prophecy about 30 pieces of silver. The Hebrew manuscripts of the book of Matthew correctly refer to prophet Zechariah.

Pastor Ezekiel 11-25-2014 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121304)
God made no mistake. All your English Bibles are translated from erroneous Greek manuscripts by men. Never did Jeremiah prophecy about 30 pieces of silver. The Hebrew manuscripts of the book of Matthew correctly refer to prophet Zechariah.

You could not be more wrong. Please read my sermon on the subject HERE. :rtfm:

demosfen 11-25-2014 04:08 AM

I am not finding anything in your sermon about why the book of Matthew in KJV had to be translated from the Greek manuscripts rather than the more reliable Hebrew ones. Obviously the latter don't have the error in question

Elmer G. White 11-25-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

You are persistent but unfortunately not very original nor able to provide references. As my primary objective is to gain your soul to Jesus I offer you first two viewpoints from the perspective of Bible study and thereafter the actual issue, God's Word.

1. We are well aware of claims that state that a Hebrew text would be the original of NT, too. To demonstrate this, other atheists have tried various strategies including this apparent discrepancy. They point out apparent semitisms in the texts of Mark and Matthew, not Luke, though (they always complement his Greek). You must remember that the degree of education was not similar to all authors during the antiquity, either (as we can see here between you and our more educated members). To demonstrate the Hebrew original, it would have to be somewhere as an older manuscript than the Greek ones and, please, don't give me the "Q" or (God forbid) the Peshitta (which is in Aramaic). The sources are, thus, fictional or hypothetical whereas the Greek manuscripts are real tangible objects in libraries. They almost always agree. Which ones should we trust? Real or made-up texts?

A good treatise of the issue by Mr. Warner states:
Quote:

The Hebrew New Testament proponents would have us trust them to fix the faulty Scriptures, by relying on their supposed knowledge of Jewish customs and figures of speech. In short, we need to sit at the feet of rabbis in order to understand what was written. But, by editing the text of the New Testament to conform to so-called Jewish thought only leads AWAY from the message preserved by the providence of God. God promised to preserve His Word for every generation [Psalm 12:6,7 Matt. 24:35]. God kept His word! The Traditional Greek text of the New Testament is reliable. Any changing [regardless of motive] of what has been preserved by God is a blatant violation of the commandment found in the last chapter of Revelation. Those who remove words that God has preserved in His Word, will be removed from the “Book of Life,” and those who add to His words, to them God will add the plagues.
Another relatively useful and albeit simplified explanation is available in AiG (I am, however, a bit reluctant to rely on their liberal views).

Still another good discussion is available in Apologetics press as follows
Quote:

It is not until one peruses the pages of Jeremiah that one sees the striking resemblance, first to Zechariah, and then to Matthew’s narrative. Zechariah’s allusion to the potter harks back to the imagery and symbolism of Jeremiah. But Matthew’s allusion to the potter’s field harks back to Jeremiah—not Zechariah. So Matthew was demonstrating the overriding superintendence of the Holy Spirit, Who was combining and summarizing elements of prophetic symbolism both from Zechariah and from Jeremiah.
2. I must also assess your strategy. What you are doing is raising the bar without acknowledging your previous failures. You started by mocking the KJV as a translation. As it was demonstrated that all the later translations agree, you moved the goalposts to the Greek original by claiming that to be flawed. This is discursive strategy that combined with the missing references is, in my experience, very effective among high-school kids but, dear child, it does not work here. This leads to the next step...

3. What you are actually attempting is becoming crystal clear now. You are trying to undermine Trust in the Bible. Some translations (Peshitta as the most abhorrent example) have in logical desperation tried to fix "errors" in God's word. They do not refer to Jeremiah nor Zechariach but only a "prophet". This is in direct opposition to God's orders.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

What you are doing is exactly this, diminishing God's word. I do not say that this in intentional, as you might be sincere in your skewed fantasy.

Don't you see that it is a simple TEST? An ingenious one. God can easily distinguish between True Believers™ and heathens by placing apparent "contradictions" in His text. We just have to Trust that everything he dictated in true and beautiful. Fear, trust, love, follow and first and foremost accept His Word as IT IS with no modifications.

He has also WARNED that He might try strategies such as apparent "errors". He CAN deceive and He has done so previously when fighting against His enemies.

Jeremiah 4:10
Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.

Isaiah 66:4
I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

2 Thessalonians 2:11

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Can't you see? This is what has happened to you. You have failed the test to TRUST God and you have believed delusions. Hopefully, it is not too late for you to repent...

...but it might be. As God's Word, the Bible, was transmitted via the Holy Ghost, I am afraid that you might, just might have blasphemed against the HOLY GHOST (Matthew 12:31-31), which is, of course, the End...

God does not have to play your game of petty "errors" and "contradictions". He just IS. You can start by this verse. It is mind-blowing. It tells you all you need to know at the moment.

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THATI AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye:

Pastor Rune Enoe 11-25-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

The Hebrew manuscripts of the book of Matthew correctly refer to prophet Zechariah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121314)
. . . why the book of Matthew in KJV had to be translated from the Greek manuscripts rather than the more reliable Hebrew ones . . .

What "Hebrew manuscripts"? The entire New Testament was written in Koine Greek.

Concerning the alleged contradiction, I'll refer to my little treatise, A Jew is a Jew is a Jew

demosfen 11-27-2014 03:25 AM

BTW I don't want to leave an impression that getting the prophets mixed up in Mat 27:9 is the only error in KJV. There is plenty more where it came from, of course users like me don't have the privileges to start new threads here to avoid the KJV-Only agenda from being exposed. Censorship aside, moderate KJVmostlyism is hands down where the truth is.

Basilissa 11-27-2014 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121676)
BTW I don't want to leave an impression that getting the prophets mixed up in Mat 27:9 is the only error in KJV. There is plenty more where it came from, of course users like me don't have the privileges to start new threads here to avoid the KJV-Only agenda from being exposed. Censorship aside, moderate KJVmostlyism is hands down where the truth is.

Oh, dear. I understand that what Brother Elmer says is too smart for you to understand (sometimes, I feel the same way, which is natural, because he is a man and I'm just a woman), so I'll try to put what he said in terms even you should be able to comprehend:

THE NAME OF THE SAME PROPHET APPEARS IN ALL VERSIONS OF THE BIBLE, NOT JUST KJV.

I hope that was helpful. :)

Didymus Much 11-27-2014 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121676)
...of course users like me don't have the privileges to start new threads here to avoid the KJV-Only agenda from being exposed...

As if they've ever made any secret of it! :wacko:

Quote:

...Censorship aside...
Stop it, yer killin' me. :rofl3:

Quote:

... moderate KJVmostlyism is hands down where the truth is.
That's where God agrees exactly with all of your fears and biases, isn't it?

demosfen 11-27-2014 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1121683)
Brother Elmer says is too smart for you to understand (sometimes, I feel the same way, which is natural, because he is a man and I'm just a woman), so I'll try to put what he said in terms even you should be able to comprehend

sister, Elmer lied to you, there is at least one Bible that has the correct name of the prophet. Don't let any extremist dupe you, I believe it was Peter who said we should be wise like a serpent. Use your melon and beware of the wolves in sheep's clothes
Oh and in case I get banned as it's often the case, good bye :bye:

Didymus Much 11-27-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121700)
...I believe it was Peter who said we should be wise like a serpent...

Google and eight seconds let me KNOW (not believe) that is from Jesus instructing the disciples He's sending out in Matthew 10.

Mad research skillz there, bro.

BecauseIPolack 11-27-2014 12:12 PM

Didymus where did you lose your backbone mate?

Why do you bother correcting people all the time and also quoting bible while you're an "Atheist" ? That goes against logic. You understand that most christians here won't care for your bible quotes since you don't even believe in god lol.

Pastor Isaac Peters 11-27-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecauseIPolack (Post 1121734)
Didymus where did you lose your backbone mate?

Why do you bother correcting people all the time and also quoting bible while you're an "Atheist" ? That goes against logic. You understand that most christians here won't care for your bible quotes since you don't even believe in god lol.

While you and Diddle-me Much will be able to car-pool to hell, at least he has the intellectual honesty about God's Word that most God-mockers lack. Besides, why can't Almighty God use the unsaved to serve His purpose, especially when the Bible says that He has done so before?

Didymus Much 11-27-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecauseIPolack (Post 1121734)
...Why do you bother correcting people all the time and also quoting bible while you're an "Atheist" ? That goes against logic...

When the subject under discussion is the contents of the Bible, how is quoting the contents of the Bible "against logic"? :wacko:

Quote:

...You understand that most christians here won't care for your bible quotes since you don't even believe in god lol.
The True Christians™ do, and as they are our hosts, their opinion is what matters.

If any other "christians" don't appreciate my help in learning about and understanding their own religion, it's their loss.

Oh, and, in English, don't capitalize "atheist" (unless it's the first word of a sentence or part of a group name, like American Atheists). It's not a proper noun.

BecauseIPolack 11-27-2014 07:12 PM

Great, so what are you? Many would think you're a christian while you are stated as atheist? lol

Zechariah Smyth 11-27-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecauseIPolack (Post 1121765)
Great, so what are you? Many would think you're a christian while you are stated as atheist? lol

Every day I pray that Didymus will cast aside his thinly-veiled mockery and accept Jesus as his savior. It's simply a matter of time.

:innocent:

Didymus Much 11-27-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecauseIPolack (Post 1121765)

Like the label says: Hellbound Heathen, Atheist, Cancer on Society, hippie, Caution - Poster is Crazy, Evilution, and Perv, and that's what's in this tin.

I just happen to know more about the Bible and Christianity than most Christians, and I feel all knowledge should be shared. I've helped many come to a much more complete understanding of God and Jesus as they are really shown in the Bible, instead of the Sunday school lies they've heard and accepted their whole lives.

God says, in the Bible, that complete obedience to all Scripture is required for Salvation, yet there are so many verses that never make it into any sermon, like:

Exodus 34:14 "For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:"

<...hmmm... note to self, T-shirt idea: WWJD, with underneath "What Would Jealous Do? Exodus 34:14"...>

And, what is a good Christian to do if they should find a girl being raped in a field? Should he start planning the happy nuptials (per Deuteronomy 22:28-29) or an execution (per Deuteronomy 22:25-27)? People don't know these things, and I like to remind them.

Why is that so hard for you to accept?

Basilissa 11-28-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demosfen (Post 1121700)
sister, Elmer lied to you, there is at least one Bible that has the correct name of the prophet.

Please feel free to provide me a modern translation which does.

You may start here but feel free to check out other translations (including in other languages) here (just click on what version you want to read this verse in). Be sure to read the commentary at the bottom of the first link - it also talks about the content of this verse in ancient manuscripts.

Quote:

Don't let any extremist dupe you, I believe it was Peter who said we should be wise like a serpent.
And as our resident atheist pointed out, you are wrong. (As usual).

Quote:

Use your melon and beware of the wolves in sheep's clothes
Of course, dear. I'm perfectly aware that I'm engaged in a dialogue with one, right now. :giggle:

Quote:

Oh and in case I get banned as it's often the case, good bye :bye:
I'll pray for ya, sweetie. :pray:

demosfen 11-28-2014 07:36 PM

Sister, if you don't know of any Bible that got the name of the prophet correct, it doesn't prove that there isn't one. It could be just that you are ignorant. In either case, if other Bibles got the name wrong, it doesn't prove that KJV is correct. It's more than likely that both are lousy. That's why they get it wrong in the first place, for God's sake.

Do you remember what Solomon had to say about keeping quiet in a company of wise men?