The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   The Thrifty Christian (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Selfishness makes America GREAT, except for the GREEDY poor! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=47186)

librarian 01-25-2012 12:25 PM

Re: Selfishness makes America GREAT, except for the GREEDY poor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zechariah Smyth (Post 841458)
are you simply trying to Google your way to salvation?Z. Smyth

I am sorry if I made that impression. It was an honest mistake.
It is not in my intention to "google my way to salvation", but rather I am trying to reach an understanding in accordance to the bible. For me, salvation comes within the understanding of the bible.

The full text of the scripture is as follows: "And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God".

But still, my question stands. I am hoping you could explain to me how it is in agreement to this thread. Thank you for helping me out.

Zechariah Smyth 01-25-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian (Post 841460)
It is not in my intention to "google my way to salvation", but rather I am trying to reach an understanding in accordance to the bible. For me, salvation comes within the understanding of the bible.

The full text of the scripture is as follows: "And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God".

But still, my question stands. I am hoping you could explain to me how it is in agreement to this thread. Thank you for helping me out.

How about this: tell me IN YOUR OWN WORDS why you feel that it is in disagreement with this thread, and what is the catalyst for your concern. Surely you are not implying that the KJV Bible is contradictory in any way whatsoever?

Please be honest: this is where the rubber meets the road.

YiC,

Zech

librarian 01-25-2012 01:03 PM

What I do understand so far, is that Jesus took pity on the poor and blessed them with the kingdom of God (specially his disciples as they were the ones that Jesus was addressing).

Also, I am quite sure that there is also passage during the last supper of Jesus ans his disciples, when Jesus said something to Judas before Judas leaves in order to betray Jesus. The disciples that was with Jesus during this event, assumed that Judas left because either Jesus had commanded him to buy supplies or give money to the poor. The point is that Jesus' disciples had expectations that Jesus commanded Judas to give money to the poor, showing that they believe Jesus have compassion for the poor or at least pity.
I am not a bible expert so I cannot quote the exact texts on command or tell which exact scripture was it from. But because you had been pointing out my reliance on google to find texts I had read before but not memorized, I did not search for the said text. But if you want, I can find it and post it here.

librarian 01-25-2012 01:15 PM

About the contradictory thing, no, I do not believe the Bible would contradict itself. I have great respect for it and I believe it is the guide to truth.

On that point, I have yet to read a Bible qoute on this thread that points out that the God condemns or hates the poor. In fact I just remembered a law in ancient Israel I have read once. It tells about the way farmers should gather their crops (i am not sure of the plant mentioned). I believe it mentions about how farmers should not go back and get the missed (or fallen) grains to gather them so poor people (again not sure without researching, but i think its widows?) can take them so they have something to eat.

If you want, I can take my time to do research. But I am quite sure you remember about it. Again, I do not claim myself any expert on anything, just somebody who wants to learn. I just read a lot and had gathered my own understanding of the bible. Its just I want guidance in understanding it, because as a human being i am bound to make mistakes or misunderstand God's word.

librarian 01-25-2012 01:30 PM

My concern about this is the way long time members of this forum view the poor. I believe that the bible and God takes pity and even blesses the poor with His kingdom. The behavior of most of the members here are not in accordance or in the footsteps of Jesus. I have seen them post how the poor are vermin and vile beings, and that God will kill them in his own time.

I am searching for the truth and therefore, I need to know if I am in the wrong viewpoint or I have yet to find the Truth in another place.

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

You do know, God had the KJV Bible written so any person could understand it, right?
First off, if you know grammer, then you can say it like a conversation
"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples,"
This means God raised His eyes at Hie disciples. Typically thing means indignant.
"and said, "
I hope this is pretty clear
"Blessed be ye poor"
Here is saying you are fortunate to have poor people
"for yours is the kingdom of God".
Your homes are mine.

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian (Post 841471)
My concern about this is the way long time members of this forum view the poor. I believe that the bible and God takes pity and even blesses the poor with His kingdom. The behavior of most of the members here are not in accordance or in the footsteps of Jesus. I have seen them post how the poor are vermin and vile beings, and that God will kill them in his own time.

I am searching for the truth and therefore, I need to know if I am in the wrong viewpoint or I have yet to find the Truth in another place.

The poor have purpose. They are here to serve thier betters just as we are here to serve God. I do not have to like the poor anymore than God has to like me.

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 08:38 PM

If you would read the Bible instead of fixating, you might of found this:
Quote:

Proverbs 19:7
All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him.
and this:
Quote:

Proverbs 14:20
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

Rev. M. Rodimer 01-25-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

I think you have a problem with simple reading comprehension.

In the Scripture you quote, Jesus is speaking specifically to His disciples.

He is not saying, "Blessed are ALL THE poor". No, He's saying, "Blessed are YOU poor".

In other words, "You, disciples, who gave up your possessions to follow me, are blessed even though you lack earthly wealth, because you will inherit the kingdom of God".

It doesn't mean, "All poor people go to Heaven"!

James Hutchins 01-25-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer (Post 841611)
It doesn't mean, "All poor people go to Heaven"!

Heheheh, you had me rolling on that one, Reverend! :rofl3: