The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Landover to the Rescue - Christian Help Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I'm in need of advice! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=92782)

Miss Tanith 09-08-2013 10:30 PM

I'm in need of advice!

I was re-reading my bible today, and I noticed this verse.

1 Corinthians 11:5

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I was just wondering, should I be praying with my head covered? And for that matter, should I even be cutting my hair?

I'm confused about this, please help!

Pastor Ed Lowman 09-09-2013 09:02 AM

Re: I'm in need of advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Tanith (Post 1026987)
I was re-reading my bible today, and I noticed this verse.

1 Corinthians 11:5

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I was just wondering, should I be praying with my head covered? And for that matter, should I even be cutting my hair?

I'm confused about this, please help!

Good question. I am more than happy to answer it.

I Corinthians is one of three responses from Paul to the church at Corinth (we have but two in the Bible - first and second Corinthians). In this letter, Paul addresses various questions, from handling adultery to women's conduct during worship. In vs 2 of chapter 11, he praised the Corinthians for keeping the ordinances as delivered by him, but in vs 3 goes forward to a customary topic.

Beginning at verse 3 and continuing to verse 10, he answers a question of whether or not one's head can be covered (as taught by then-Jewish tradition) when praying, but he concludes it with an acknowledgement of whether or not a covering on a woman is acceptable...

"Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God." (I Cor. 11:13-16)

So this was advice for the time regarding what we at Landover put much emphasis on--the submissiveness of the woman as perceived by the community. It has no practical application today as is - and we don't want to emulate joos - although a woman covered head to toe in humble clothing is never a bad idea.

"But I would have you know. that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (vs 3)

Pastor Ed

Constantine1648 09-20-2013 12:33 PM

Pastor

As a point of clarity, is there a risk that a good Christian woman could be in anyway confused as a muslim woman? I make sure that my wife and daughters are dressed in chaste Godly clothing but I often see muslim woman covered up and am concerned that my family could be mistaken as muslims.

What would you suggest?

Wide-Open 09-20-2013 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do your daughters look like this? :ph34r:

Attachment 22003

If so, they might need some, eh, work.

Basilissa 09-21-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantine1648 (Post 1029510)
Pastor

As a point of clarity, is there a risk that a good Christian woman could be in anyway confused as a muslim woman? I make sure that my wife and daughters are dressed in chaste Godly clothing but I often see muslim woman covered up and am concerned that my family could be mistaken as muslims.

What would you suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide-Open (Post 1029519)
Do your daughters look like this? :ph34r:
If so, they might need some, eh, work.

Maybe he's some kind of Amish, they resemble Muslims a lot. I confuse them all the time.

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...oung-woman.jpg

http://itsnotamatch.files.wordpress....eral.jpg?w=640

Pastor Ed Lowman 09-21-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantine1648 (Post 1029510)
Pastor

What would you suggest?

Well, we live in a different time than the Corinthians did, and we still have I Thess. 5:22 which tells us to "Abstain from all appearance of evil."

So that is all the more reason to shun old-looking practices that might cause us to resemble some false religionists like joo$, Moose-slums, or Amish blasphemers. But by adorning one's self modestly like the Scripture teaches (I Tim 2:9), one is doing just about all that can be done to look like a humble Christian.

Pastor Ed