The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Auntie Flo's Prayer Shack for Women (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sarah Palin Moose Stew Recipe (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=14851)

WilliamJenningsBryan 09-06-2008 09:03 AM

Sarah Palin Moose Stew Recipe

1 Attachment(s)
Friends, with Sarah Palin on the Republican ticket a victory this coming November is all but assured. It's time to start planning the celebrations here in Freehold and what better way to honor Sarah than to feast on a meal of Moose Stew.

There are quite a few moose stew recipes, but we need to be authentic here. Now I had to go to a bit of trouble, but I managed through my contacts to get a hold of Governor Palin's cell phone number. What a woman, not only did she give me her personal recipe, but she shared her stories of moose hunting. Just before pulling the trigger for a perfect head shot, she loves to shout out "Hey Bullwinkle!". There us no doubt that Sarah is going to make moosemeat out of Joe Biden in the debates.

I encourage everyone to get their Alaskan Moose orders in early, there is sure to be some wacko environmentalists trying to limit the number of moose kills this fall.

Attachment 6066

Ragoût d'Orignaux alla Palin (Sarah Palin Moose Stew)

1 1/3 pounds top or bottom round of moose
1 1/3 pounds chuck or shoulder of moose
1 1/3 pound moose cheeks
1 moose foot, soaked and boned
1 piece pork rind
1/2 pound slab bacon
1/4 pound fatback
1/2 bunch parsley
4 carrots

3 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 celery heart
3 tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf, parsley, savory)
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 pinch allspice
Flour/Salt/Pepper
1 celery rib (For the Marinade)
1 onion
2 carrots
3 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch parsley
1 sprig savory
2 bay leaves
Zest of 1 orange
3 cups red wine, preferably Gigondas
6 tablespoons cognac
3 tablespoons olive oil

Ragoût is a method of cooking à l'étouffée, meaning slow cooking in a daubière, a pot with a cover designed to hold hot water. Traditionally placed in a hearth, the daubière heats from above and below in the oven.

Marinade:

The day before, cut the moose meat into large cubes and prepare the vegetables for the marinade. Trim and chop the celery, peel and chop the onion, carrots, and shallots. Peel the garlic. Place the moose meat in a large bowl with the chopped vegetables and whole garlic cloves. Add the parsley, savory, bay leaves, orange zest, wine, cognac, and oil. Let marinate, refrigerated, for 12 hours.

Cooking:

The next day, blanch the moose foot and the pork rind. Chop the slab bacon and fatback into 1 by 1/4-inch pieces, removing any rind. Chop the parsley finely and roll the fatback in it. Prepare the vegetables by peeling and finely chopping the carrots and onions. Peel and crush the garlic. Chop the celery heart. Peel, seed and quarter the tomatoes. Remove the moose meat from the marinade with a slotted spoon and drain it on paper towels. Strain the marinade through a fine sieve. Preheat the oven to 250° F. Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the moose meat over high heat until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the pork rind in the bottom of a large Dutch oven or earthenware casserole. Spread about 1/3 of the moose meat over the rind. Add about 1/3 of the chopped vegetables, and sprinkle with some of the bacon, fatback, and diced moose foot. Continue to layer the ingredients in this manner until all are used. Add the bouquet garni; orange zest, peppercorns (tied in a square of cheesecloth) and the allspice. Add the strained marinade. Prepare a moist dough of flour and water, form it into a long cord and place it around the rim of the pan. Moisten the edge of the pan, cover with warm water and press it down firmly on the dough to form a seal. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 5 hours. Remove from the oven, break the flour crust and remove the cover. Turn the oven off, and return the daube to the oven to rest, uncovered, in the residual heat for 30 minutes longer. Serve with fresh pasta.

Praise Jesus!

Pastor Ezekiel 09-06-2008 01:02 PM

Re: Sarah Palin Moose Stew Recipe

Sounds great! I'm going to have sister Thumper whip me up a batch this weekend. :thumbsup:

Daisy Mae Johnson 09-06-2008 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 231500)
Sounds great! I'm going to have sister Thumper whip me up a batch this weekend. :thumbsup:

Just for you Sugarpie. I also threw in some mushrooms and peas because I know how much you like them.

Grab a bib! It's deeeelicious!:thumbsup: Thank you Brother WJB for the delightful recipe!!!!

Talitha 09-06-2008 05:52 PM

One of my Favorites............

Jellied Moose Nose

1 Upper jawbone of a moose
1 Onion; sliced
1 Garlic clove
1 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 c Vinegar

Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes.

Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes.

Remove and chill in cold water.

Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck).

Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain.

Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water.

Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid.

When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls.

Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan.

Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan.

Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold.

:thumbsup:

Capt. Aaron Portway 09-06-2008 07:30 PM

When I was a bush pilot in the Northwest Territories, nothing hit the spot after a day of blasting away at God's creatures from a helicopter like:

Guacamole Moose Kebabs

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. moose, properly aged and cut into 1 inch chunks
5 oz. cherry tomatoes
5 oz. avocadoes, skinned, destoned and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, coarsely chopped
½ cup sunflower oil
1 cup lime juice
1 cup cilantro, chopped
½ cup chili sauce
a spinach salad to serve
soft crusty rolls to serve

METHOD:

Combine onion, oil, lime juice, cilantro and chili sauce. Add moose, tomato and avocado pieces and coat thoroughly. Cover and chill for 5 hours.
Preheat grill to hot. Using metal skewers, pierce centers of each piece until full. Balance skewers on a grill pan and cook for 5 minutes each side, or until juices run clean. Serve hot with a spinach salad and soft crusty rolls.

SUV 09-06-2008 08:03 PM

Where'd that new Brother 'Moose Knuckle' go? He ought to be...in on this. :)

eliot mayfield 09-06-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamJenningsBryan (Post 231441)
Friends, with Sarah Palin on the Republican ticket a victory this coming November is all but assured. It's time to start planning the celebrations here in Freehold and what better way to honor Sarah than to feast on a meal of Moose Stew.

There are quite a few moose stew recipes, but we need to be authentic here. Now I had to go to a bit of trouble, but I managed through my contacts to get a hold of Governor Palin's cell phone number. What a woman, not only did she give me her personal recipe, but she shared her stories of moose hunting. Just before pulling the trigger for a perfect head shot, she loves to shout out "Hey Bullwinkle!". !

That's a woman for you! head shots aren't the best shot. I am a bow hunter. I have nothing against guns, and I use them when I'm filling the freezer for the year. However when going for the big ones I use my bow, and you want to shoot for a vital organ. Same with a gun.
Here is some info:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/...-10010711.html

SayvedByTheLord 09-07-2008 12:34 PM

Let us pray that Sarah will come out with a large cookbok full of all her delicious recipes! :thumbsup:

MOOSE CASSEROLE

2 lbs of moose meat cubed
1 can mushroom soup
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
1 cup canned tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.. Place meat in casserole dish and add mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, and tomatoes. Cover and bake for 2 hours.

YIC
:jesus:

Mrs. Mary Whitford 09-11-2008 12:07 AM

I had the cook use that moose stew recipe yesterday for my husband, Mr. Whitford, and it was a smash hit! I must definitely thank Vice President Palin for it at the next fundraiser!

Glendora Christianson 09-12-2008 09:02 AM

Sarah Palin Desserts - Moose Mousse

1 Attachment(s)
I hope Sarah doesn't mind me sharing this secret Moose dessert recipe of hers.... Moose Mousse is an old Palin family recipe that Sarah shared with me while passing through Iowa.

Ingredients:

One Dead Moose
One Very Powerful Food Processor
5 Pounds of Refined White Sugar
Whipped Cream
1 Case of Maraschino Cherries

Preparation

Make sure moose is dead, then remove liver. Discard remaining moose (save the antlers for gun rack).
Turn on very powerful food processor and gently drop moose liver in it.
Make a phone call about banning books, etc...
Add 5 pound bag of sugar to whirring liver mixture, mix more.
Make a phone call about eliminating recreational sex in teenagers, etc...
Spoon Moose Mousse into seldom used Margarita glasses, top with whipped cream and a cherry (not a metaphorical one).
Serve!

Talitha 09-12-2008 09:04 PM

I bet she's love to try my TONGUE IN CIDER.

I know Sister Victory asks for it every time I invite her round. :thumbsup:

YUMMY

SayvedByTheLord 09-12-2008 09:11 PM

Sister T. I had know idea that you harbored those proclivities! :o

YIC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talitha (Post 234326)
I bet she's love to try my TONGUE IN CIDER.

I know Sister Victory asks for it every time I invite her round. :thumbsup:

YUMMY

Talitha 09-12-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayvedByTheLord (Post 234334)
Sister T. I had know idea that you harbored those proclivities! :o

YIC

I don't hide things here. Everyone knows I love Tongue.

In fact, whenever the Men go out Hunting I always get them to bring me a large helping.

SUV 09-12-2008 09:24 PM

Re: Sarah Palin Desserts - Moose Mousse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glendora Christianson (Post 234035)
Moose Mousse

Ingredients:

One Dead Moose
One Very Powerful Food Processor
5 Pounds of Refined White Sugar
Whipped Cream
1 Case of Maraschino Cherries

My GOD, Mother Glynndie, it's Sure to be the new Taste Sensation around the Landover Compound!

I give it "3 Snaps Up in a 'Z' Formation!" :thumbsup:

Jean Poole 09-13-2008 05:00 PM

This sounds delicious! Where would one find sufficient mooses to feed 22, though?

SayvedByTheLord 09-13-2008 05:28 PM

I'm sure Vice President Palin would be willing to switch to a high speed Gatling gun on her next aerial hunt to help you out. :thumbsup:

YIC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of 20 (Post 234797)
This sounds delicious! Where would one find sufficient mooses to feed 22, though?