View Single Post
(#65)
Old
Unsaved trash

Stranger is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Flat Earth? Hell Yes! - 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrKingGrad View Post
It's always good to ask questions, but I don't think we should rush to throw out the flat Earth hypothesis. Many of my parishioners in the Unitarian Universalist church are flat-Earthers, and I think we can all gain something in our own quests for spiritual knowledge by looking at the world in a way that radically differs from our preconceived notions.

According to one of my congregants, who is a well respected theoretical physicist, there is considerable evidence (based on the thermodymics of black holes) that the universe is indeed two dimensional, with the third dimension serving merely as an illusion. This is known as the holographic principle, and plays an important role in many formulations of string theory. I wouldn't dismiss the Biblical view of a 2D universe as silly when many of the world's top physicists consider it to be a very real possibility.
just wondering if you could explain the holographic principle in more detail, i couldn't get much out of the wiki site, as I have not yet take an elementary physics class, so much of the terminology went over my head.

Is a little disappointed in this site....