View Single Post
(#64)
Old
Confirmed Enemy of God
BANNED from Landover -- Aeternal Damnation Assured

BelieverAndTrue is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Bible Study: Kill almost anyone you want and still go to Heav - 05-17-2011, 06:59 PM

And to think that some of you claim to be reading from the original KJV!

http://www.lapstoneministries.org/romans13.html
Quote:
Romans 13

Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. (Romans 13:1a NAS3

Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers. (Romans 13:1 ASV)4

Most twentieth century versions have interpreted the Greek words as “governing authorities” while those of older origin, such as King James (1611), American Standard (1901), Bishop’s (1595), Geneva (1599), Darby (1890), Tyndale (1534), Webster’s (1833), carry the literal translation of these words—“higher powers.”5

Why this change from translation to interpretation in the newer versions? Was the change a matter of accuracy or some influence over a few of the translators? This change would certainly hamper every ‘good Christian’ from even thinking of opposing a government that advocates say abortion or homosexuality.

The word governing in the NASB is the Greek word huperecho that means “to hold above, to rise above, to be superior.” It is rooted in the words Huper—over, beyond—and echo—to have, hold.6

The use of the word govern here may come by deducing a connection to verse 3 where Paul uses the analogy of our relationship to physical rulers to make a point. More on this later.

The Greek word exousia interpretated as authorities in the NASB has interesting roots. It means power to act, authority, and comes from exesti—it is permitted, lawful, which in turn comes from the two words ek or ex—from, from out of, and eimi—I exist, I am.7

Discussion has been ongoing whether the term exousia refers to human authority or spiritual.8 I believe that the adjective higher was used by Paul to distinguishing this exousia to from that which is merely human.

When putting these translations together, exousia could refer to some “law or authority, coming out of I AM.”
What authority is higher than GOD!