View Single Post
(#83)
Old
Unsaved trash

Stranger is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Flat Earth? Hell Yes! - 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrKingGrad View Post
I can't explain it, since my degree is in theology, not physics. I asked a physicist in my congregation to give me a two to three sentence summary, and here's what he said (like most physicists, he took more than three sentences, but that's true of theologians as well, so I won't complain):

In physics, we understand the world around us in terms of mathematical models. For example, we can write an equation that tells us how much energy is required to stop a car of a certain weight going at a certain speed, and we can use this to design brakes for automobiles....................In summary, it may truly be that we live in a holographic universe, and we cannot abandon the hypothesis out of hand, but it would not be accurate to say that our universe has been proved to be holographic. One dominant lesson from physics in the last 100 years or so is that the way universe really works is usually far stranger than we imagine, and, any way you look at it, the holographic principle is strange.
So if i read that correctly, the holographic principle states that we are all made of information, not energy and matter. very interesting, and makes me think of the Matrix. But sense we do consist of matter, and everything we are surrounded by is made of matter, doesn't that mean that the earth cannot be flat, because it is made of matter? but then again these are all based on assumptions and maybe I'm just interpreting the explanation wrong.

Is a little disappointed in this site....