Go Back   The Landover Baptist Church Forum > Bible Study > Bible in a Year
Reload this Page Day 328: 1 Corinthians 7-9
Bible in a Year KJV with Brother V

(#1)
Old
Visiting Pastor of Theology
True Christian™

Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Protected by JESUS

Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.
Bible Day 328: 1 Corinthians 7-9 - 11-02-2016, 04:57 AM

Chapter 7

This chapter deals with marital issues. Viewer (reader) discretion advised!

Paul gets right to the point:

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

So in the ideal world, women should not be touched. However, in practice, abstinence may lead to fornication, so touching a woman - only one woman in a Godly marriage - is the lesser of two evils.

The married couple should provide for each other (1 Cor 7:3) and they basically can do whatever they wish with their spouse's body:

1 Corinthians 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

Basically, consensus isn't really a thing worth considering in a Godly marriage, except when the spouse really cannot "do it" because he/she is fasting or praying (1 Cor 7:5).

Nevertheless, "doing it" within a Godly marriage is permissible but not obligatory (1 Cor 7:6). It would be much better if men had no interest in women at all, just like Paul (1 Cor 7:7), who preferred to spend his free time with Simon the tanner instead.

Not only men have a problem with fornicating, but also - if not especially - women. Again, there are two options:

1 Corinthians 7:8-9
8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

So basically, if you cannot keep your legs closed, get married ASAP.

Once you're married, there is no way out:

1 Corinthians 7:10-11
10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

That applies even to mixed marriages where one of the spouses is a hellbound heathen (1 Cor 7:12-14), unless he or she really wants to leave (1 Cor 7:15). You can try to save your heathen spouse, but if your preaching falls on deaf ears it's not your problem:

1 Corinthians 7:16-17
16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Next, Paul moves on to another delicate issue: circumcision. Jesus doesn't really care whether a Christian is circumcised or not. Jesus wants you to follow His commandments, He doesn't really care about the amount of skin on your male body part (1 Cor 7:18-19).

Then Paul proceeds to a very important social issue: keeping every member of the society in his or her place without questioning the social hierarchy:

1 Corinthians 7:20-24
20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

It's good to be a slave, because following God's Will is also like slavery. Both real slavery and slavery for God are good things.

After this interjection we come back to the marital issues. It's good for a man to remain a virgin (1 Cor 7:25-26), but once you're married you're bound to be with your wife only, even if the marriage goes not so well (1 Cor 7:27). The problem with marriage is that married men care more about the material stuff rather than the spiritual (1 Cor 7:29-33), and the same goes for married women (1 Cor 7:34).

Beware of such distractions:

1 Corinthians 7:
35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

Again, abstinence is the best option but marriage is better than fornication (1 Cor 7:36-38). Widows can remarry but it's better if they don't (1 Cor 7:39-40).

Chapter 8

In this short chapter Paul discusses a situation when a juicy steak is not your best meal choice.

Paul begins by reiterating what was said in previous chapters (1-4), that knowledge is no good:

1 Corinthians 8:1-2
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

If we want God to love us, we have to love Him first:

1 Corinthians 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Worshiping idols is not good (1 Cor 8:4-5), because there is only one True God (1 Cor 8:6). Now, while eating meat sacrificed to false gods is not explicitly forbidden, it may feel as morally wrong to some weaklings (1 Cor 8:7). So if something feels like morally wrong, the right thing is not to do it, even if there is no specific prohibition in the Bible (1 Cor 8:8-12). Of course Paul is strong so he can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants without feeling morally corrupted by it.

In conclusion:

1 Corinthians 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Chapter 9

In this chapter, Paul demonstrates a very post-modern self-centered reflexivity in response to some dumb critics who doubt his authority.

He begins by restating his credentials, again (there's nothing insecure about making sure that people get the point how qualified you are over and over and over again):

1 Corinthians 9:1-2
1 Am I am not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

Now, some people want to question Paul's authority, but he has an answer to everything:

1 Corinthians 9:3-6
3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,
4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?
5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?

In other words, who the Hell you are to dare to question Paul's authority? Whatever he says is supported by Scripture (1 Cor 9:7-10). Paul reaps what he has sown (1 Cor 9:11), which gives him all of the power (1 Cor 9:12). He teaches and lives off the holy things (1 Cor 9:13-14).

But hey, don't get the totally wrong impression that Paul is bragging:

1 Corinthians 9:15-16
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

He is so modest, that his only reward is that he is not abusing the great power he has (1 Cor 9:17-18).

He's just a very humble servant, that's all:

1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

He's very sleek, too:

1 Corinthians 9:20-22
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

It's OK to sin a little in order to save some souls. The end justifies the means (1 Cor 9:23).

Now, you know that in every race there can be only one winner:

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

We are all in this race together (1 Cor 9:25-27), but reading between the lines, Paul has won it already. In a very humble and not-bragging-about-it way, of course.