Reload this Page Day 332: 2 Corinthians 4-6
Bible in a Year KJV with Brother V

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1)
Old
Visiting Pastor of Theology
True Christian™

Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Protected by JESUS

Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.
Bible Day 332: 2 Corinthians 4-6 - 11-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Chapter 4

This chapter deals with the need of preaching the Word to every souls that wants to listen and to those who don't. In this and the next chapter Paul uses a royal "we" even though he refers to himself only (see 2 Cor 5:16: he talks about what happened in his life while keeping the plural verb form).

Paul received Jesus' ministry and mercy (2 Cor 4:1) and renounced dishonesty (2 Cor 4:2). He just cannot deprive others from the same (2 Cor 4:3).

2 Corinthians 4: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Some would say that this passage sounds a little bit too manicheistic/gnostic, describing the Adversary as "god of this world" - and therefore implying that the world is in a battle between the eternal darkness which created the material world and the eternal light which created the spiritual world. I say, that is not the case, because we know that God created both light and darkness, good and evil (Isaiah 45:7). In the light of that verse, the Adversary didn't create the material world, he just rules it - which makes sense when we think about the Serpent calling the shots in the garden (Genesis 3), and also persuading God to play dice with Job's life (Job 1:6-14, Job 2:1-7).

But I digress. Back to 2 Corinthians, God gave His light to Paul so that he could share it with others (2 Cor 4:5-6). He is merely a vessel for that divine light (2 Cor 4:7), always troubled and persecuted by unbelievers (2 Cor 4:8-9), and ultimately dying for Jesus and for our salvation (2 Cor 4:10-12).

Paul is a straight shooter who believes everything that is written and preaches it:

2 Corinthians 4:
13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

And he does all that for our True Christian™ sake (2 Cor 4:14-16), having our eternal Salvation™ in mind (2 Cor 4:17-18).

Chapter 5

In this chapter we learn more about Salvation™.

Material stuff doesn't matter, and even if we lose material possessions our reward will be waiting for us in Heaven (2 Cor 5:1).

Paul will just keep groaning and God will provide:

2 Corinthians 5:2-4
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

Paul has to have faith in God (2 Cor 5:5-7), be willing to part with the material bodies/material world (2 Cor 5:8), and pass the Judgment Day test (2 Cor 5:9-10).

Because of the terror of God's wrath Paul tries to convert as many as possible:

2 Corinthians 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Paul is not boasting here, because everything is done for God (2 Cor 5:12-15).

And here is the passage which shows hat every time Paul says "we" he actually means "I":

2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

All people are renewed/born again after accepting Jesus (2 Cor 5:17-21).

Chapter 6

This chapter deals with God approved True Christian™ behavior.

Paul (still maintaining the royal "we") urges us to to not receive God's Grace in vain (2 Cor 6:1), because the day of Salvation™ is today (2 Cor 6:2). We need not to offense anything (2 Cor 6:3), but be patient (2 Cor 6:4) even when persecuted (2 Cor 6:5), and in all other life situations (2 Cor 6:6-10).

Paul is opening his mouth and heart to the recipients of this letter:

2 Cor 6:
11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.

So here he is, waiting with his mouth wide open, and yet the Corinthians are not responding appropriately:

2 Corinthians 6:12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.

This is not good and Paul wants Corinthians also to be enlarged (their hearts, that is):

2 Corinthians 6:13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

The best way to achieve the state of enlarged hearts is to shun unbelievers:

2 Corinthians 6:
14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

That's because only when we cut our ties with these filthy sinning scum, God will love us as His children (2 Cor 6:18).

To be continued...