The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Auntie Flo's Prayer Shack for Women (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Let’s Send our Love to China (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=117344)

BrotherLarry 02-23-2020 05:24 PM

Let’s Send our Love to China

Ladies

Let’s show our love to those chinks getting sick. How about an entourage of you going to Wuhan and proving you are immune because of Jesus’ protection? Those who can’t leave home and family or simply prefer to do it long distance would still make an impact. Volunteers?

Social Construct 02-23-2020 05:32 PM

Re: Let’s Send our Love to China

This is basically what I'm proposing here.

Look, I've even got images we can use for my rows of medals. "Hero of Corona-gate" we'll call it. You're welcome.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pix.iemoji....dical-mask.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pix.iemoji....hermometer.png

On the other (unwashed) hand, we should bring the Chinese here instead. Better to show how welcoming we are. And if Coronavirus actually turns out to be real, then that's even better, it proves we're so welcoming we will welcome people at the cost of a global pandemic that kills hundreds of millions. Now THAT's welcoming! That should keep down the accusations of racism for a few news cycles.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 02-23-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1264705)
Those who can’t leave home and family or simply prefer to do it long distance would still make an impact. Volunteers?

Brother Larry, I couldn't possibly spare the time, I'm afraid. Also, you can't expect civilized people to eat Chinese food.

How would the distance thing work? We can't talk to them on the phone, or write them letters explaining our Jesus-given immunity, because they don't speak American. And my prayer schedule is quite full at the moment, consisting mainly of causes that I actually care about. So much as I'd like to help I think I'm going to have to give this a miss.

Isabella White 02-23-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1264705)
Ladies
Let’s show our love to those chinks getting sick. How about an entourage of you going to Wuhan and proving you are immune because of Jesus’ protection? Those who can’t leave home and family or simply prefer to do it long distance would still make an impact. Volunteers?

Oh, my dear, darling Great-Grandbaby Brother Larry: My, what a generous, thoughtful suggestion this is, and I do thank you for thinking of the sad situation in Wuhan. However, I am afraid that I am unable to go to China as I do not understand the language. And, there is little sense in my trying to do "long distance" support, as my perfect penmanship is only in cursive handwriting, and not in that which one can only describe as "a pile of scattered chopsticks".

Besides all of that, I am required here, as I do have my lovely epergnes to dust. But, speaking of China, it's now time for my tea -- today in a lovely bone china, acid-etched, gold-encrusted cup and saucer (which shall be yours someday).

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

A blessed day to you, Dear, and I send you much love.

Basilissa 02-23-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Social Construct (Post 1264708)
And if Coronavirus actually turns out to be real, then that's even better, it proves we're so welcoming we will welcome people at the cost of a global pandemic that kills hundreds of millions.

:facepalm: Oh, sweetie, we already have a global pandemic that is as deadly as the coronavirus.

It's called.... (drumroll)... the flu. The flu infects millions annually and kills ~1% of those infected. 1% is based on the high estimate of those infected and dead in the US from the CDC website, 0.5% would be the low estimate (scientists cannot count all people who have the flu because not everyone who has the flu visits a doctor).

On the other hand, according to the statistics provided by WHO, the death rate as of today is 3% for China and 1% for countries not called China. This is the equivalent of the flu's high estimate, because while we can be pretty sure everyone who dies of coronavirus is recorded (due to all the hype around it), there may be people whose symptoms are light enough for them not to suspect they have the coronavirus. So, extrapolating from the flu high and low estimates, we can guesstimate that the low estimate for the coronavirus mortality rate would be 1.5% for China and 0.5% for places not named China.

This proves that (a) God hates the Chinese three times as much as He hates other nationalities and therefore (b) for everyone who does not live in China, the coronavirus is roughly as deadly as the flu. In the US, that means we have much higher chance of dying from heart disease, cancer, accidents, respiratory diseases, stroke, Alzheimer's disease, and diabetes, than from the coronavirus.

P.S.: I believe the point (a) above explains what I think about the proposition in Brother Larry's opening post. :innocent:

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 02-23-2020 07:09 PM

Thank you for putting this in proportion as far as we are concerned, Sister, and for the helpful link.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1264711)
On the other hand, according to the statistics provided by WHO, the death rate as of today is 3% for China and 1% for countries not called China.

This shows (looking at the cumulative figures) that the total number of confirmed cases in China is 77,042 and the number of deaths is 2,445. The population of the areas affected is 1,428,230,000. That's one confirmed case per 18,500 inhabitants and one death per 584,000.*

Now let's look at our local areas. The town nearest to our property has a population of a little under 7,000 people. It would take mass immigration at a quite unusual level for the place to have enough people for anyone to catch it, and frankly there isn't enough room to get the population up anywhere near 584,000.

(* Mental arithmetic by Eliphelet Lytton-Vasey, aged 4. Figures rounded for your convenience.)

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 02-24-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Social Construct (Post 1264708)

Doesn't really say "hero". Looks more like an asian skinhead/monk with a big bandage. I think we should award it to people who participated in the great Buddhist hunt of 2007.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 02-24-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb Stuart Thurmond (Post 1264781)
Doesn't really say "hero". Looks more like an asian skinhead/monk with a big bandage.

You'd think that they'd at least make those masks in yellow, to tone in with the skin color, like they do with band-aids.

upchucker67 02-25-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1264785)
You'd think that they'd at least make those masks in yellow, to tone in with the skin color, like they do with band-aids.

Then they'd look like they'd have no mouths? That's a scary thought. :fie:

https://i.imgflip.com/1t1oi8.jpg