The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Christian history forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   David and Goliath? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=11002)

Magikarp 05-01-2008 06:43 AM

David and Goliath?

Even though my name is in pink, I do know enough of the Bible to know that (King) David had a fight with Goliath, and defeated him. Is that maybe the reason, that there are a fair amount of kids that are named David, but none (or at least very few) named Goliath? Because, most people have names of people from the Bible i.e Mark, Matthew, John, Peter, Ruth, etc. . But Goliath is mentioned in the Bible as well, albeit not in a good way. Is it just that because the Bible portrayed Goliath as a nere-do-weller, that many parents do not choose to name their child that?

I really don't get that either though, I know some people named Cain, and Cain killed Abel in the Bible. So why does he have more "rep", so to speak, with names, than Goliath?

Old Man Hatchet 05-01-2008 09:38 AM

Re: David and Goliath?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magikarp (Post 180301)
Even though my name is in pink, I do know enough of the Bible to know that (King) David had a fight with Goliath, and defeated him. Is that maybe the reason, that there are a fair amount of kids that are named David, but none (or at least very few) named Goliath? Because, most people have names of people from the Bible i.e Mark, Matthew, John, Peter, Ruth, etc. . But Goliath is mentioned in the Bible as well, albeit not in a good way. Is it just that because the Bible portrayed Goliath as a nere-do-weller, that many parents do not choose to name their child that?

I really don't get that either though, I know some people named Cain, and Cain killed Abel in the Bible. So why does he have more "rep", so to speak, with names, than Goliath?

Some are of the opinion that Goliath is a suitable name for a dog. Case in point--Davey and Goliath. I personally protested* this show when it aired during the sixties and seventies. It was produced by Lutherans, and it is a fact that Lutherans worship Satan. Additionally, I was outraged by the talking dog, which further proved the Satanic nature of the show.

http://www.vaiden.net/davey_goliath.jpg

I also thought the boy's trousers were too tight.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/12...b01746.jpg?v=0

And the homosexual tension between Davey and his Negro friend, Jonathan Reed, was palpable.

*Not like a hippie. I didn't smoke "grass" and sing "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" and "If I Had a Hammer." Rather, I wrote angry letters to my congressman demanding the show be removed from the airwaves and that its creators be publicly executed. I also stood on street corners yelling at passers-by about the evils of the show. If a passerby was immodestly dressed, I yelled about that, too.

Brother Temperance 05-01-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Goliath was an enemy of God and freedom. Calling your kid Goliath would be about as inappropriate as as calling him Mohammed.
Quote:

Because goths hate Jesus, they often think that Cain would be a good name for a kid. This also explains why goths shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Unfalsifiable 05-10-2008 04:28 PM

How about the name Saul? Would that be ok?

Marshall 05-10-2008 04:44 PM

I remember that show.
I hated it.
Davey and Jonathan seemed queer to me. Like any second they were going to reenact a late-career John Holmes movie. The very idea of an interracial friendship is blatantly anti Christian.
II Cor. 6:14--Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

revrggreen 05-10-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

I know some people named Cain, and Cain killed Abel in the Bible. So why does he have more "rep", so to speak, with names, than Goliath?

If you knew anything about Christianity, you would know that Goliath was part-demon. He was of Nephilim seed. The offspring of Devil's.

It would be like calling your son 'Satan' or 'Beelzebub'. How many people do you know called 'Lucifer'?

Magikarp 05-10-2008 05:26 PM

But I mean like everyone, not just Christians. Wouldn't there be a possibility that a satanist would name his/her son/daughter Goliath or Beelzebub? That was my initial question; has Christianity helped change general society enough so that you'd be labeled a "freak" or "hellspawn", even by non-Christians, including satanists, by naming your child Belphegor, Beelzebub, etc.?

Marshall 05-10-2008 05:54 PM

Well Satanists name their kids all kind of stupid things.
Heres a Satanist whose parents named him Marshall of all things.
He's in Hell now.

snottyduck 05-10-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Temperance (Post 180337)
[font=Verdana]

Because goths hate Jesus, they often think that Cain would be a good name for a kid. This also explains why goths shouldn't be allowed to breed.

What's the reason to mention Goths?? It doesn't even correlate with each other.

Marshall 05-10-2008 07:47 PM

Because Goths are Satanists.

snottyduck 05-10-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 185874)
Because Goths are Satanists.

:boredom:

Ahimaaz Smith 05-10-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Temperance (Post 180337)

Amen. We don't want goths raising any more Cain than they do already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfalsifiable (Post 185821)
How about the name Saul? Would that be ok?

Saul turned away from the ways of the Lord at the end of his life, so that would be a terrible name. Now Solomon, that's a name for a child if you're considering a Kings of the Hebrews theme for your kids.