The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Creation Science (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Sun: Millions of miles away? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=18076)

Pastor Billy-Reuben 12-11-2008 04:04 AM

The Sun: Millions of miles away?

Praise the Lord! He has shown me how to prove scientifically that the sun is no more than 500 miles overhead.

Here is the proof:

To start off with, the sun is hot enough to glow yellow, so we can use Wein's Displacement Law to determine the temperature.

Wein's Displacement Law:
Peak Wavelength in meters = displacement constant / temperature in Kelvin

Yellow light has a wavelength between 570nm and 580nm, so we'll solve for 575nm. Since we are working with nanometers rather than meters, we'll simplify the math by multiplying the displacement constant by 10^9.

575 = 2897768.5/T
575 * T = 2897768.5
T = 2897768.5/575
T = 5039.6° K (8611.6° F)

So the sun is about 5039.6° Kelvin.

Now, the average temperature of the earth is 59° F, or about 288° K. The mean temperature gradient of the troposphere is 6° K/km, so let's solve for the distance.

d = (5039.6 - 288)/6
d = 791.9 km (491.1 miles)

There you have it. The sun is roughly 491.1 miles overhead. Depending on the exact shade of yellow (whether it's closer to 570nm or 580nm), this figure could be off by as much as 5 miles. However, I don't have a spectrometer handy, and I'm willing to live with an uncertainty of ±5 miles. It's not like I'm planning to visit anytime soon -- my shoes would melt :lol:.

The LORD is so good to me. Praise the sweet name of Jesus.

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Bob4God 12-11-2008 04:40 AM

Re: The Sun: Millions of miles away?

Very interesting brother, but I certainly do not understand all those numbers and stuff. It seems all too scientific for me.

Pastor Al E Pistle 12-11-2008 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob4God (Post 271775)
Very interesting brother, but I certainly do not understand all those numbers and stuff. It seems all too scientific for me.

Let me explain it more simply. If the sun was any further away we couldn't feel the heat from it.

Nobar King 12-11-2008 06:12 AM

Does heat follow the inverse square law, too?

Pastor Al E Pistle 12-11-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobar King (Post 271797)
Does heat follow the inverse square law, too?

Yes. If the sun were a nuclear reaction, it would have to be further away. Since it is made from coal, 500 miles is about right.

Nobar King 12-11-2008 06:24 AM

I have heard that the sun is closer to the Earth during winter than in summer. I suspect that the opposite is true.

How would the sun know when winter is, anyway?

Ezekiel Bathfire 12-11-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobar King (Post 271801)
I have heard that the sun is closer to the Earth during winter than in summer. I suspect that the opposite is true.

I heard some fellow on the radio saying that too. He seemed to forget that if it were so, Australia would have it right and the USA would have it wrong. This cannot be so, therefore your suspicions are well-founded.

Quote:

How would the sun know when winter is, anyway?
God did it: Psalms:74:17: Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: thou hast made summer and winter.

Brother Cletus 12-11-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobar King (Post 271801)

I believe you're right, Brother Nobar. It takes 365 days for the sun to revolve around the earth. When it's 500 miles away, it's summer. When it's 505 miles away, it's winter.

SayvedByTheLord 12-11-2008 07:27 PM

Thank you for this mathematical proof Pastor Billy, I plan to take it to my meteorology class this weekend.

I'll show those secularists :thumbsup:

Pastor Billy-Reuben 12-11-2008 07:59 PM

That's interesting. It could also be that the sun gets hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, so that the light wavelength is closer to 570nm in the summer but closer to 580nm in the winter. I'll get my secretary to put in an ad on Craigslist to see if anyone is willing to make a tax-deductible contribution of a new or gently used spectrometer so we can test this out.

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Nobar King 12-11-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel Bathfire (Post 271925)
I heard some fellow on the radio saying that too. He seemed to forget that if it were so, Australia would have it right and the USA would have it wrong. This cannot be so, therefore your suspicions are well-founded.

God did it: Psalms:74:17: Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: thou hast made summer and winter.

Thanks for straightening that out for me. I shouldn't be worrying too much about these things, as they're already put in place for a reason, despite the sicular scientists' passion for trying to disprove reality.

H. Montague Worthington 12-11-2008 08:22 PM

I often giggle when I hear the stupid liberals claim that "energy" from the sun is "clean," and then turn around and criticize coal as dirty energy! How can the sun be clean when the sun itself is just a giant ball of burning coal revolving around the earth? What is wrong with these people? Could they be any more ridiculous?

Repentant Liberal 12-11-2008 11:09 PM

If the sun were millions of miles away how could we even see it? It would have to be much larger than the Earth, and a ball of coal that large wouldn't be able to move across the sky as it does. How absurd.

Deluded 7th Gay Andwitless 12-11-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob4God (Post 271775)

Dumbass.

and as for you, PASTOR billy rueben, what school did you go to??? uhhh you do realize that science proofed the sun is like 94 million miles away right??

Pastor Al E Pistle 12-11-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccanpriest (Post 272064)
Dumbass.

and as for you, PASTOR billy rueben, what school did you go to??? uhhh you do realize that science proofed the sun is like 94 million miles away right??

Dumbass, DID YOU READ THE MATHEMATICAL PROOF PASTOR POSTED? Can you refute it?

THEN SHUT UP, ignorant twit!

Deluded 7th Gay Andwitless 12-11-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Al E Pistle (Post 272068)
Dumbass, DID YOU READ THE MATHEMATICAL PROOF PASTOR POSTED? Can you refute it?

THEN SHUT UP, ignorant twit!

of course i can reffute it! Have a look at this:

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/sun_worldbook.html

i mean, hasn't this stuff been known for years as facts?

i just cant understand how you people think and why you live so many years in the past!

btw i'm not expert in your religion but aren't you supposed to be more tolerant?? love thy neighbor was it?

Pastor Billy-Reuben 12-12-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccanpriest (Post 272064)
uhhh you do realize that science proofed the sun is like 94 million miles away right??

I obviously knew that scientists claim that, hence the title I gave this thread.

However, what proof do they have? How do you know their figure is accurate? You just accept it on faith.

I have shown my work. If you think the sun is 94 million miles away, then let's see your calculations.

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Deluded 7th Gay Andwitless 12-12-2008 12:04 AM

okay, if the sun is only 500 ft away then how do you explain that we can see other planets lit by it?? and what about the warm temperatures on planets like venus and mercury? if the sun isn't in the center of our solar system and is only as small as you say it would not be able to warm them would it?

Pastor Billy-Reuben 12-12-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccanpriest (Post 272075)
of course i can reffute it! Have a look at this:

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/sun_worldbook.html

i mean, hasn't this stuff been known for years as facts?

So your proof is a fanciful essay written by someone else. I have given you hard numbers that say otherwise.

Quote:

btw i'm not expert in your religion

That's obvious.

Quote:

but aren't you supposed to be more tolerant?? love thy neighbor was it?

You are contradicting yourself. Tolerance is the opposite of love. If I love someone, I'm not going to stand by and let them condemn themselves to Hell without warning them about the danger they are in. That goes for you too, friend. I know you are rebelling against God and that's why you took up witchcraft, but it's not to late to repent and get saved. You can be free from your bondage to sin, just by asking. Doesn't that sound nice?

Pastor Billy-Reuben

Pastor Billy-Reuben 12-12-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccanpriest (Post 272079)
okay, if the sun is only 500 ft

Please reread the original post. I said 500 miles, not feet. When I fly, I am 30,000 feet up, and the sun is still above me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccanpriest (Post 272079)
away then how do you explain that we can see other planets lit by it?? and what about the warm temperatures on planets like venus and mercury? if the sun isn't in the center of our solar system and is only as small as you say it would not be able to warm them would it?

You have bought the whole lie hook, line, and sinker. We've got a live one here, folks! :lol:

Venus and Mercury aren't other worlds -- they are just little lights in the firmament.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Pastor Billy-Reuben