The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   The Thrifty Christian (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Screaming and Beating Employees: Is It Effective Motivation? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=109774)

H. Montague Worthington 08-13-2016 08:50 PM

Screaming and Beating Employees: Is It Effective Motivation?

Some new research has come to light on beating, humiliating and screaming at employees. Some evidence, albeit anecdotal, shows that screaming at your employees, humiliating them in front of their co-workers, and beating them with a stick DOES have some motivational effectiveness. I know that when I slap workers four or five times across the head and scream "YOU STUPID LOSER!! I'M GOING TO FIRE YOU AND MAKE SURE YOU NEVER WORK AGAIN AND YOUR KIDS WILL STARVE AND DIE IN THE FILTHY GUTTER!!" in the native language, it usually gets them moving quicker.

A few tips:

1. Don't slap or scream in the face of workers while they're sewing or sawing, because if they flinch in the wrong way it can clog up the assembly line for hours prying their limbs out of the machinery.
2. Learn how to say "I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOUR CHILDREN" in the local language-- it can be really effective. I have noticed a 14% increase in productivity when screaming that phrase at employees.
3. Sticks are better beating tools than whips or lashes, as long as you aim for fleshy muscle rather than bones or joints.

Here is a story (with video!) about a smart Chinese boss who motivates his employees with on stage humiliation and beatings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peop...rd-enough.html

Remember, beating your employees should always be done AWAY from factory tools and production lines, lest an employee arm gets mangled in a circular saw blade or gets fastened to a piece of fine leather!

handmaiden 08-14-2016 12:34 AM

Re: Screaming and Beating Employees: Is It Effective Motivation?

I recall a motivational poster at one of my former places of employment:

" The beatings will continue until morale improves ".

You just can't beat ;) that internal logic!

Cheerfully yours,

Handmaiden

Mary Etheldreda 08-14-2016 03:56 PM

I will say Mr. Worthington, while I'm not an employer, I am a mother to many children and as such demand efficiency in my home to rival any Bangladeshi child-populated sweatshop. I too have found physical contact and threat of physical contact to be particularly motivating. While the individual may not appreciate it at the time, it is his fault according to the LORD (Proverbs 12:24). Constant reminders of this help in my own domestic operation.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 08-14-2016 05:22 PM

Oh, Sister Mary, I absolutely know what you mean! Even if we were prepared to tolerate some slackness (which I am not), how are our dear husbands expected to go about their business if the home is not run like a well-oiled machine?

Mr Worthington, do you mind if I ask how your wife manages the domestic staff when you are out of the home? I used to find that I often had a sore throat by lunchtime, so have now delegated most of the shouting to one of the senior domestic staff, a Spaniard. Say what you like about Spanish women, but their harsh, unpleasant voices are ideally suited to this sort of work.

handmaiden 08-14-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1186539)
Oh, Sister Mary, I absolutely know what you mean! Even if we were prepared to tolerate some slackness (which I am not), how are our dear husbands expected to go about their business if the home is not run like a well-oiled machine?

Mr Worthington, do you mind if I ask how your wife manages the domestic staff when you are out of the home? I used to find that I often had a sore throat by lunchtime, so have now delegated most of the shouting to one of the senior domestic staff, a Spaniard. Say what you like about Spanish women, but their harsh, unpleasant voices are ideally suited to this sort of work.

Wait, is she actually Spanish, which would make her essentially European in origin, or is she Hispanic, which means that she is a mongrel mix consisting of native, copper stock and imported, black stock?

Questioningly yours,

Handmaiden

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 08-14-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1186547)
Wait, is she actually Spanish, which would make her essentially European in origin, or is she Hispanic, which means that she is a mongrel mix consisting of native, copper stock and imported, black stock?

She is actually Spanish, Sister. :bad: As you know, my husband's work necessitates us living in Godless England at this time, and as the country is overrun with economic migrants from the southern lands (sound familiar?), while the local people are too idle or too drunk to work, we are obliged to hire foreign labor.

Personally I prefer Ukrainians - they are physically stronger - but when it comes to keeping others in order, they lack the vocal range of Concepcion.

Titus Templeton 08-14-2016 10:16 PM

This is why I am against machines. A machine doesn't care if you beat her. But a human worker gives a response.

BrotherLarry 08-17-2016 02:04 PM

Now that I am almost a certified equine gnathologist, I think it is important for me to share some of the management skills I learned as a part of required electives during my course of study.

Public reprimands are, indeed, effective. One trend is to buy time on your local public access tv station and perform the reprimands on camera. The use of stocks and pillories for these televised disciplinary sessions adds to the intrigue and will likely boost ratings.

Another motivator is the invisible paycheck. Instead of direct deposit or paper checks, the employee is told their pay will be distributed via microscopic elements in the air. Unfortunately, the company that provides the necessary microscope glasses to see the check has them on backorder. If you are good, you can keep this going for several weeks before the person becomes suspicious. You must, of course, tell them that the harder they work during the backorder process, the greater the amount of the check.

I also want to add that while screaming at the employee, poking them in the chest and calling them "Buster" goes a long way toward instilling the kind of work ethic management needs to see in lowly line-level staff. None of these mamby-pamby pokes, either. You want to leave a bruise. If you break the skin with your fingernails, all the better, as the blood forms a visual reminder of your reprimand that won't soon lose its effect.

I also believe threatening employees with the fires of Hell is appropriate. The Bible tells us that to know to do good and not do so is sin (James 4:17). Obviously, if you have told an employee what to do for the good of the company and there is failure to comply, that employee is outside the friendship of God and deserves the punishment of eternal damnation - a true motivator that should put smiles on the faces of upper leadership.

Mary Etheldreda 08-18-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1186671)
I also believe threatening employees with the fires of Hell is appropriate.

Indeed, brother! The Bible lights a Holy Fire in the Spirit in the open-minded soul! Warnings of Hell worked for this Texas woman who kept slaves for 14 years. Preaching her sermons, which sometimes lasted up to 3 hours, and compelling her slaves to listen to her recorded voice reading Scritpture, Texan woman Olga Sandra Murra did not conflict with the Holy Bible for women to remain silent and not teach (1 Timothy 2:12), as the slaves were not men. In this way the Texan woman was still obedient to God's Commandments to bring in the spiritual low-life and force them to believe (Matthew 28:19-20; Luke 14:23) and work for their keep (2 Thessalonians 3:10).

I Man Rastafari 08-18-2016 04:55 PM

White people like to shout at Black people who have to work for the white man but I can tell you that it only makes the Black people angry and they steal more from the angry white employer to make things right.

Leroy Llewelyn 08-27-2016 06:40 PM

Indeed, Brother.

Let's let Lord Jesus Himself have the final word:

And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
Luke 12:47-48

If Jesus approves, who are we to argue?