The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 223. Jeremiah 1-3 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=31185)

Brother V 11-04-2009 04:00 PM

Day 223. Jeremiah 1-3

Jeremiah 1-3

Jeremiah 1

1 The words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, of the priests that were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin:

Friends, we now start the book of Jeremiah. Anathoth was one of the towns in the tribe of Benjamin that was set aside for the Levites. (Joshua 21:18). So we see that Jeremiah was a member of the Levitites. More than that, Hilkiah may have been the High Priest(2 Kings 22:8). Which would probably make Jeremiah a member of the Kohanim. Anathoth is pretty much a suburb of Jerusalem. The area of Benjamin was part of the land of Judah, and not part of the Northern Kingdom.

If you look at the timeline, you see that Jeremiah begins his prophecy in about 626/627. His era lasted until after the destruction of the temple in 587/586.

Jeremiah is credited with writing the books of Jeremiah, 1 Kings, 2 Kings and Lamentations. The writing of 2 Kings lends additional credence to the Hilkiah High Priest as being his father.

2 To whom the word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign.

Looking back at the timeline, Josiah became king in 640.

4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Here we have some of the best Biblical (KJV1611) evidence for predestination. God picked Jeremiah to be his mouthpiece. Jeremiah had absolutely no choice in the matter. If God picks who is going to talk for him in 640 BC, he sure can still pick who goes to heaven and who goes to hell in 2009 AD.

6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

Jeremiah was young when God first picked him. Like Moses, he wasn't a great speaker. Many people think Moses and Jeremiah's lives parallel one another.

7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

God said, I picked you, and you are going to do what I tell you, regardless of if you want to or not.

9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.

God made Jeremiah a good speaker, with the touch of his hand.

10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? And I said, I see a rod of an almond tree.

God tells Jeremiah that he is going to be the one who tells all the doom and gloom. He gives Jer a vision, and asks what he sees. Jer sees a rod of an almond tree.

Why? an almond tree is one of the earliest trees to have buds in the spring. It wasn't just that it's an almond tree, it's a rod, and rods are used for correction. Not only that, but Aaron's rod was of almond, remember it blossomed in Numbers 17:8.

13 And the word of the LORD came unto me the second time, saying, What seest thou? And I said, I see a seething pot; and the face thereof is toward the north.

From the north came Babylon. A seething pot is one that is about to boil over and spill out. That pot was Judah/Jerusalem, the pot was about to spill.

15 For, lo, I will call all the families of the kingdoms of the north, saith the LORD; and they shall come, and they shall set every one his throne at the entering of the gates of Jerusalem, and against all the walls thereof round about, and against all the cities of Judah.

This is about 120 years after Isaiah (first Isaiah). The people have apparently forgotten everything that he said; or, they had no choice; Jeremiah was predestined to be a prophet, the people were predestined to be taken away.

17 Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them.

Exactly why God would send someone to warn the people; when the thing is going to happen anyway; is beyond me. Perhaps a few could be spared.

Jeremiah 2

1 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,

Jeremiah, speaking for the LORD continues.

2 Go and cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; I remember thee, the kindness of thy youth, the love of thine espousals, when thou wentest after me in the wilderness, in a land that was not sown.

Often, Israel, Jerusalem, Judah ... is referred to as the bride. Here we see that God married them when they were young; they probably held it against him that because they married young they weren't able to get the "full college experience". To which God probably replied, "oh, I'm sorry you didn't have sex with every frat boy at the school". To which Israel probably replied, "oh come on, you know it wouldn't be like that". To which God probably said, "well, what the hell do you feel the 'full college experience' is?". And Israel probably said "well maybe I just wanted to go to a party or two and not feel weird because I'm the only married one there". And God was like "you think you'll find someone better than me there?" And Israel said "that's not what I meant; there wouldn't be anyone better... " "Oh so just something maybe different," God said... God continued "that's a whore!"

3 Israel was holiness unto the LORD, and the firstfruits of his increase: all that devour him shall offend; evil shall come upon them, saith the LORD.

Remember, Israel was married to God, so them having sex with anyone else is adultery. God didn't go out and cheat on Israel, Israel went whoring after other gods.

11 Hath a nation changed their gods, which are yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit.

So, not only did Israel go whoring after other gods, but they weren't even gods. They were imaginary. The imaginary and the invisible look a lot alike.

20 For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot.

Well, the harlot and the whore aren't necessarily the same. Oh wait, harlot means "a prostitute; whore" so they are pretty much the same thing.

21 Yet I had planted thee a noble vine, wholly a right seed: how then art thou turned into the degenerate plant of a strange vine unto me?

Once again we have the "God as vintner". And once again, we see the vine was able to corrupt itself.

22 For though thou wash thee with nitre, and take thee much soap, yet thine iniquity is marked before me, saith the Lord GOD.

Nitre is basically lye. So even though the people washed with lye soap, they couldn't get the smell of their sin off.

28 But where are thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: for according to the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah.

God tells the people that if they like other gods so much, let them save them from the coming DOOOOOOM!!!!

32 Can a maid forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? yet my people have forgotten me days without number.

The honeymoon may have been special, but after that, Judah was left married to a God who had a tendency to beat her whenever she looked at another man.

35 Yet thou sayest, Because I am innocent, surely his anger shall turn from me. Behold, I will plead with thee, because thou sayest, I have not sinned.

That's a battered wife speaking there. Surely this time he won't beat me. Nope, you asked for it by burning my damned fish sticks!

Jeremiah 3

1 They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD.

Apparently the LORD has forgotten his own laws. Deuteronomy 24:4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. A man is not able to take back a woman who he divorced. God claims he has put away his wife (Israel/Judah) she went out and remarried (Baal), he can't take her back, that's an abomination.

6 The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot.

Remember, God was a polygamist, he was married to both countries, Israel and Judah. He had a third younger, hotter wife too, Jerusalem. They were all sisters. First the eldest sister and first wife went out and became a whore.

7 And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Judah saw her big sister out cheating on her husband, and thought that it might be fun to try for a while.

12 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.

According to God's laws he should have stone the adulteress.

14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

If they turn back to their husband, he'll love them again, and they'll have lots of kids together, and live happily ever after.

20 Surely as a wife treacherously departeth from her husband, so have ye dealt treacherously with me, O house of Israel, saith the LORD.

They didn't take the offer. They continued being a whore.

So what have we learned today?

1. Jeremiah started in 627 as a youngster.

2. Israel and Judah both cheated on their husband God. God should have stoned them. He did punish them, but he didn't put them to death as commanded in Leviticus 20:10.

3. God took his wife back after he divorced her and she remarried.

YIC
V