The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Teaching His Word (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=41885)

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-25-2010 12:02 AM

Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Due to my maid having to recover from a non-workplace, non-disciplining-related injury, I have taken a trip to the supermarket. Things have changed a lot since the last time I went to one - for a start there are all sorts of strange ethnic food, from turkish delight to what must have been 4 different diameters of spagetti.

But the change that shocked me the most was the magazines you see while waiting in line. Where we used to be comforted by Weekly World News reporting the latest discovery of Noah's Ark, or the National Enquirer's updates on the exact date of the Rapture, instead I was assaulted by the sight of Michelle Obongo, Seventeen Magazine (I would sooner let my daughter read the Dutch one!) and a People Magazine headline reading "BULLIED TO DEATH?" and a picture of your typical teen harlot.

Bullied to death? I'm assuming she committed suicide - self-murder. Why so much sympathy for a murderess, People Magazine?

I can see how we could call a suicide bomber Islam-ed to death, but bullied to death? Really?

Sure they weren't magazined to death? Magazines reward suicidal teens by giving them the publicity they want, and by shaming their enemies - it's no different from saying "I'll pay your family if you kill youself", which is what terror recruiters do.

I can see emos using this as blackmail: "give me what I want or I'll kill myself, and blame you in the suicide note. Then you'll be shamed by People Magazine and your life will be ruined." Maybe these so called "bullies" are simply non-suicidal people that she didn't like?

Let's take a look about what God says about bullying. (I'm quoting the NIV because this article is aimed at teen readers.)

First of all, God orders us to submit to EVERY authority, good, bad, or ugly, legitimate or otherwise:

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. - 1 Peter 2:13-14 (KJV Here)

1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. - Romans 13:1-3 (KJV Here)

Bullies have power because God gave them that power as part of his Divine Plan. To rebel against a bully is to rebel against God.

Also, don't forget that being a bully isn't as easy as it looks. Next time they come for their cut of the lunch money, try to make things easier for them:

17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. - Hebrews 13:17 (KJV Here)

Even if you're literally a slave, you're to treat your owner as if he is Jesus Christ himself:

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men - Ephesians 6:5-7 (KJV Here)

If a bully beats you up, it's because God chose the bully's side in the battle. David beat Goliath with God's help and so could you - if God wanted you to win. If Goliath beat you up, it's because God wanted him to.

The Bible is filled with Battles, from Moses vs the Egyptians, to Jericho(1) , to the dragon that invades heaven in the Book of Revelations(2) . Every time, God chooses the winner, either as a blessing to His Chosen People, or to punish us for straying from His path.

So, the next time a bully comes for your lunch money, as yourself this: "Why is God punishing me by sending His ordained authority against me? What can I do to be more meek, more humble, more pleasing to EVERY authority God has placed in power?"

Footnotes:

1. Then the LORD said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men....21 They devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys - Joshua:2-21 (KJV Here)

2. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on his heads. 4His tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. - Revelation 12:3-4 (KJV Here)

3. Update: other republicans agree that bulliest are by their nature conservatives, and therefore must be supported.

Ezekiel Bathfire 04-25-2010 12:22 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Wimps say "bullying", I say, "Positive Leadership"

Sidoain 04-25-2010 12:23 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Wow! All my life i was a bully from 4 years old teal 16 years old. Plus, i was tough since i played football. Thats really good to hear since after all, i did nothing bad by forcing these weaklings to respect me.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-25-2010 12:59 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidoain (Post 514431)
Wow! All my life i was a bully from 4 years old teal 16 years old. Plus, i was tough since i played football. Thats really good to hear since after all, i did nothing bad by forcing these weaklings to respect me.

Remember, God may have ordained you with a position of authority IN THIS LIFE, but you won't get to play football in HELL.

You've already tasted the fruits that Jesus can bestow, and who knows what heights of power you will gain as a Christian? So let's get you repenting, accepting Jesus, and tithing to His church. VISA, Mastercard, or American Express?

Sidoain 04-25-2010 03:11 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb Thurmond (Post 514451)
Remember, God may have ordained you with a position of authority IN THIS LIFE, but you won't get to play football in HELL.

You've already tasted the fruits that Jesus can bestow, and who knows what heights of power you will gain as a Christian? So let's get you repenting, accepting Jesus, and tithing to His church. VISA, Mastercard, or American Express?

I dont think i will go to hell. I go to church and i do nothing wrong. All i did wrong is what most of you male member did before, only difference, im not ready to be an ex masturbater pretty soon or maybe never. If i remember, i may get baptize at any age. So il make sure to do it before death and during that period, il also do my best to be an ex mastubater before death.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-25-2010 03:30 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidoain (Post 514561)
I dont think i will go to hell. I go to church and i do nothing wrong. All i did wrong is what most of you male member did before, only difference, im not ready to be an ex masturbater pretty soon or maybe never.

I'm sure all the unconcieved children who have died sticky deaths on your kleenex will agree you do nothing wrong.:sarcasm:
Quote:

If i remember, i may get baptize at any age. So il make sure to do it before death and during that period, il also do my best to be an ex mastubater before death.
So you've got your death all schedualed? Right between "9:30 AM: almost dodge truck" and "9:31AM: twitch a little bit while bystanders stare in shock"?

Look, The fact that you can cram a minor-niner into his locker after giving him a wedgie is all fine and good, but Jesus has bigger plans for you. So wash the "moisterizing lotion" off your hands, get on your knees, and REPENT before the LORD.:thumbsup:

Seth Campbell 04-25-2010 08:34 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Back when I was in school if I came home whining about bullies I'd be smacked by my father and told to toughen up.

Maybe it's better if these kids off themselves, because if they can't handle school they sure as heck are not going to make it in the real world. Where do they think the bullies go after graduation?

Trent Harvey, Jr. 04-25-2010 05:06 PM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
This thread is brings back so many memories.

Though I was never very high on the pecking order, I always had at least one kid below me, and I made maximum use of that asset.

In kindergarten I had "Emmanuel" who I called "Oh Man You Smell" and we had these wicked hair-pulling fights. I always dished out more pain than I got, thanks to my bigger hands.

The Chinese kid was one rank above me until I discovered how to make "Chinese-eyes". Instant promotion! I was on my way to the top!

I could tell my antics and hijinks were acts of ordained authority because it was always my underlings who would run into trouble with the teachers. The teachers would tell them to "just ignore me" and then punish them when they didn't.

There was this one kid I hadn't noticed before - a real invisible sort of guy - but then he peed himself during show and tell and I was on him like Patton. Never gave him a moment of rest. I was exausting for me, but it was more so for him. Then the rest of the class was separated from us because they were taking sex ed, and we got along fine. Funny thing, I guess we could have been best friends if we lived in some sort of rankless, classless society, but it turns out that God's Divine Plan involves authority, so that's how it had to be.

High school operates in a different way, it's all this group VS that group, and only a complete idiot chooses a group other than The Jocks. Best thing about being a Jock - you don't have to be any good a sports. You just have to respect the authority of those who are.

JuanSalvador 04-26-2010 02:57 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Harvey, Jr. (Post 515157)
This thread is brings back so many memories.

Though I was never very high on the pecking order, I always had at least one kid below me, and I made maximum use of that asset.

In kindergarten I had "Emmanuel" who I called "Oh Man You Smell" and we had these wicked hair-pulling fights. I always dished out more pain than I got, thanks to my bigger hands.

The Chinese kid was one rank above me until I discovered how to make "Chinese-eyes". Instant promotion! I was on my way to the top!

I could tell my antics and hijinks were acts of ordained authority because it was always my underlings who would run into trouble with the teachers. The teachers would tell them to "just ignore me" and then punish them when they didn't.

There was this one kid I hadn't noticed before - a real invisible sort of guy - but then he peed himself during show and tell and I was on him like Patton. Never gave him a moment of rest. I was exausting for me, but it was more so for him. Then the rest of the class was separated from us because they were taking sex ed, and we got along fine. Funny thing, I guess we could have been best friends if we lived in some sort of rankless, classless society, but it turns out that God's Divine Plan involves authority, so that's how it had to be.

High school operates in a different way, it's all this group VS that group, and only a complete idiot chooses a group other than The Jocks. Best thing about being a Jock - you don't have to be any good a sports. You just have to respect the authority of those who are.

My friend what happened to Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."? And the second most important commandment of all: Matthew 22:39?

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-30-2010 05:55 PM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanSalvador (Post 515520)
My friend what happened to Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."?

True Christians are very merciful. Proof: look at how much mercy we obtain.

Our enemies, now they never get any mercy at all. That's just Jesus punishing them for a lack of mercy.

Quote:

And the second most important commandment of all: Matthew 22:39?
None of the people Trent bullied are his neighbours. In the winter, his neighbours are my Hummer3 and my Unimog, and in the summer his neighbours are coyotes and that one-eyed mumbling guy who use to live in the park.

I know for a fact he loves my cars, and is on good terms with the coyotes.

Levi Jones 04-30-2010 06:03 PM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Amen! Children are naturally the best at policing their own through intimidation and bullying.

Jesus tell us that unless we can be like little children, we can't enter Heaven.

Matthew 18:2-3
And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Levi Jones 05-03-2010 06:30 PM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
It really took a scientific study to figure this out? :lol:

From the scientists say the darndest things file.

Quote:

Obese kids more vulnerable to bullies


(Health.com) -- Children in Grades 3 through 6 who are obese are more likely to be bullied than their normal-weight peers, a new study has found.
No one who has attended grade school -- or who has even the slightest familiarity with children -- will be surprised by these findings. What is surprising, however, is that obese children are bullied more often even if they possess qualities that can discourage bullies, such as having good social skills or doing well in school.
"When we started this study, I really suspected that we might find that the obesity or overweight might not be the driving force," says the lead author of the study, Julie Lumeng, M.D., a professor of pediatrics at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor. "What we found is that it didn't matter. No matter how good your social skills, if you were overweight or obese you were more likely to be bullied."

BelieverInGod 05-03-2010 06:44 PM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Maybe we need a 'scientists study the silliest stuff' list. I've also heard that they did a long term study that showed people were more emotionally on edge when they didn't get enough sleep. They could of just asked my kids, or any mother.

Trent Harvey, Jr. 03-26-2011 05:01 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Obese kids more vulnerable to bullies
Kids provide their own incentive to stay healthy. So not only is bullying good for health, it means that ANTI-BULLYING MEASURES KILL. After all, what kills more, heart disease or bullies?*

So next time you want to sneer at me for eating a fried-cheese in french-toast sandwhich, don't blame me, blame the sad lack of bullying at my school growing up.

*Trick question, I know, because JESUS kills everyone, and if you try to escape him by eating well he'll just kill you another way.

RagingLiberal 03-27-2011 01:41 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Harvey, Jr. (Post 718195)
Kids provide their own incentive to stay healthy. So not only is bullying good for health, it means that ANTI-BULLYING MEASURES KILL. After all, what kills more, heart disease or bullies?*

So next time you want to sneer at me for eating a fried-cheese in french-toast sandwhich, don't blame me, blame the sad lack of bullying at my school growing up.

*Trick question, I know, because JESUS kills everyone, and if you try to escape him by eating well he'll just kill you another way.

Kids do not provide their own incentive to stay healthy. They learn bad habits from parents who feed them processed crap constantly as a young child and then, after they've already become overweight, it's incredibly difficult for them to get out of the cycle of poor eating habits. Processed food is incredibly addictive and, lets not kid ourselves people, if a child has a choice between Tyson chicken nuggets and french fries or healthy fruits and veggies, what are the obviously going to pick? It's a parents job to make sure children eat properly. And bullying does not provide incentive to lose weight, it makes children feel worthless and many turn to food for comfort, which continues the cycle. Do your damn jobs as parents and teach your kids how to eat properly so they're not 650 lbs and die of a heart attack at 37.

Pastor Ezekiel 03-27-2011 02:56 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingLiberal (Post 718557)
Do your damn jobs as parents and teach your kids how to eat properly so they're not 650 lbs and die of a heart attack at 37.

Are you proud of yourself? Now you've made Brother Trent cry. What a bunch of vicious you liberals are. :angry:

RagingLiberal 03-27-2011 03:02 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 718609)
Are you proud of yourself? Now you've made Brother Trent cry. What a bunch of vicious you liberals are. :angry:

Brother Trent has very tender emotions then. It's horrendous that you would let your own kids get bullied because you're lazy/bad parents.

Trent Harvey, Jr. 03-27-2011 04:17 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingLiberal (Post 718557)
Do your damn jobs as parents and teach your kids how to eat properly so they're not 650 lbs and die of a heart attack at 37.

I am NOT 630 lbs, and I'm pretty certain it was just angina. (I didn't look into it, because when I googled it I ended up with a whole lot of stuff that had nothing to do with heart problems).

RagingLiberal 03-27-2011 04:46 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Harvey, Jr. (Post 718674)
I am NOT 630 lbs, and I'm pretty certain it was just angina. (I didn't look into it, because when I googled it I ended up with a whole lot of stuff that had nothing to do with heart problems).

You thought I was talking about your size? I don't care how you've decided to treat your body, I honestly believe that everyone on earth is beautiful. It's the extremely negative affects processed food has on a persons health, and the fact that parents nowadays would rather feed their kids foods with high saturated fat content CONSTANTLY than buy healthier, organic food. And I won't even go into the business and economic control the food industry has. It's a horrible system and America's children are growing up to make poor nutritional choices and they WILL be increasingly obese and they WILL have extreme health issues. You should read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It talks all about the control the food industry has and the harmful effects of their products.

The bullying is another matter completely. It's the parents job to make sure the child eats healthy, and it's downright cruel and ignorant to think bullying can solve childhood obesity.

Pastor Ezekiel 03-27-2011 05:00 AM

Re: Bullied to death? What the Bible says about bullying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingLiberal (Post 718692)
You thought I was talking about your size? I don't care how you've decided to treat your body, I honestly believe that everyone on earth is beautiful. It's the extremely negative affects processed food has on a persons health, and the fact that parents nowadays would rather feed their kids foods with high saturated fat content CONSTANTLY than buy healthier, organic food. And I won't even go into the business and economic control the food industry has. It's a horrible system and America's children are growing up to make poor nutritional choices and they WILL be increasingly obese and they WILL have extreme health issues. You should read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It talks all about the control the food industry has and the harmful effects of their products.

The bullying is another matter completely. It's the parents job to make sure the child eats healthy, and it's downright cruel and ignorant to think bullying can solve childhood obesity.

Not much of an apology, hater. :angry:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by Jesus - vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Landover Baptist Forums 1620, 2022 all rights reserved