The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Christian history forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   God and the concept of Time: (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=114602)

Ezekiel Bathfire 04-18-2018 02:28 PM

God and the concept of Time:

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously if you are the Supreme Deity with a lot on your plate and as the hymn says "One thousand ages in Thy sight, are like an Evening gone." it is quite easy to forget how we miserable creatures (who are simultaneously God's most Wonderful Creation) have "got a thing about time.

Equally obviously, the Bible speaks from the very start about "days" - in fact "days" were so common in Heaven that we read in Genesis that they were around before the sun.

But, as for measuring time passing, God was all a bit vague. He first mentions it in

Ge:4:3: And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

I think that this vagueness does indeed add evidence to the idea that any Being Who is not concerned about time, is not going to be very precise with it.

In the old Testament, God does make mention of the "hour" but is not until the Book of Daniel:
"Da:3:6: And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace."
But this is the only book in the Old Testament that mentions an "hour".

The only real conclusion must be that God did suddenly recall that some people must have expressed, in their prayers, the idea that they wanted "hours" and thus God inspired Daniel to introduce them - even a couple of minutes in a lions' den must seem like hours!

It is therefore clear
(i) that Daniel invented the clock, but
(ii) that they were probably too expensive and
(iii) never became popular in Old Testament times.

Hours did not catch on until Jesus arrived -> M't:8:13: And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

Now, if we examine that verse - it could just mean 1/24th of a day - i.e. "a period of time." But that is not the case: because, later, in John, who is very keen on "hours" - he uses the word more than anyone else - we have:

Joh:4:6: Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
and
Joh:4:53: So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house.

So we know that Jesus had reintroduced the clock and taught everyone to tell the time!

But the word "minute" does not appear at all. And forget about looking for "second" (other than when it means, "the one after the first") - there's not even a hint of it.

So what can we learn from all this?

1. God is not too concerned about time
2. God does listen to the prayers of the just and does offer mechanical help.
3. God does realize that a good idea - something we have prayed for - is worth trying twice (except for flooding the Earth when He said He would not do that again.)
4. Jesus made clocks popular and taught people to tell the time.
5. God thinks we should not be too concerned about time.

If God is not bothered about minutes and seconds, why should we be? And if you think about it, this conclusion is clear: How else can the Bible be interpreted other than in this way?

handmaiden 04-18-2018 03:14 PM

Re: God and the concept of Time:

Thank you, esteemed Brother Bathfire. That was illuminating.

May I ask how The Lord might feel regarding analog versus digital?

From what I have been given to understand, many schools no longer teach children how to read an analog clock dial. All time information is displayed in digital format for them.

Should Christian children continue to learn how to tell time via a clockface? What about the older methods, such as hour glasses and sundials? And where does Jesus sit on the controversy over the roman numeral four being written as IV or IIII?

BrotherLarry 04-18-2018 04:13 PM

I have a lot to say about this subject, since I am intelligent and educated. In fact, I could go on about this subject for pages and pages. Instead, I'll be concise, because I believe that conciseicity is the hallmark of a great writer. The greatest writers of all are those inspired by GOD to put a Papermate in their pocket and then put it to paper (vellum).

Perhaps the best course of action with regard to this subject is to remove it from your stream of consciousnessing. For instance, the heathen Culture Club had a song about this subject. I simply remove the word "time" and insert "whenever GOD thinks it's right."

Don't put your head on my shoulder
Sink me in a river of tears
This could be the best place yet
But you must overcome your fears

Ooh in
whenever God thinks it's right
it could have been so much more
The
is precious I know
In
The
has nothing to show because
won't give me
and
makes lovers feel like they've got something real
But you and me we know they've got nothing but
And
won't give me
, won't give me
(
)

Don't make me feel any colder
is like a clock in my heart
Touch me touch was the key too much
I felt I lost you from the start

Ooh in
The
is precious I know
In
The
won't give me
and
And
won't give me
, won't give me
(
)
Ooh in
The
is precious I know
In time it could have been so much more
The
won't give me
and
And you know
won't give me
And
And you know
won't give me
And whenever God thinks it's right makes lovers feel like they've got something real

"Whenever GOD thinks it's right." also is effective when reading Ecclesiastes 3. For example, "Whenever God thinks it's right, be born. Whenever God thinks it's right, die." Etc. Etc. Yes, sometimes it's awkward, but (1 Corinthians 1:27) should allay any discomfort you feel when using my system.

No one needs to thank me for this tip; I will just assume it is received with gratitude and great respect considering my intelligence and education.

Ezekiel Bathfire 04-18-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1231597)
Thank you, esteemed Brother Bathfire. That was illuminating.

You're welcome - all knowledge helps us in life, doesn't it?
Quote:

May I ask how The Lord might feel regarding analog versus digital?
of course you may! The Lord welcomes questions - as long as they are not to controversial. I will await your asking that very question.
Quote:

From what I have been given to understand, many schools no longer teach children how to read an analog clock dial. All time information is displayed in digital format for them.
A passing fashion - no more, no less.
Quote:

Should Christian children continue to learn how to tell time via a clockface?
Of course, although as the Bible shows, the minutes do not matter much.
Quote:

What about the older usual methods, such as hour glasses and sundials?
These are indispensable. They are the very chronology of the Christian Faith - the symbolism of "the sands running out" and "The day drawing to darkness" are metaphors for our own lifes.
Quote:

And where does Jesus sit on the controversy over the Roman numeral four being written as IV or IIII?
"IV" is the standard form. "IIII" is permissible despite its presumed anti-triclavian associations.

Ezekiel Bathfire 04-18-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1231599)

Don't put your head on my shoulder
And whenever God thinks it's right makes lovers feel like they've got something real

I think a modern beat combo would enjoy playing that to an audience of "Bobby-soxers"

Quote:

"Whenever GOD thinks it's right." also is effective when reading Ecclesiastes 3. For example, "Whenever God thinks it's right, be born. Whenever God thinks it's right, die." Etc. Etc. Yes, sometimes it's awkward, but (1 Corinthians 1:27) should allay any discomfort you feel when using my system.

I would avoid altering the Words of The Good Book, Brother Larry...

Quote:

No one needs to thank me for this tip; I will just assume it is received with gratitude and great respect considering my intelligence and education.
Quote:

That has saved me a job. :thumbsup:

crazyjack13 04-26-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1231597)
Should Christian children continue to learn how to tell time via a clockface?

Considering that Jesus's Godly carpentry skills allowed him to construct the analog clock, it would likely be that using a digital clock is going against his intention, and therefore sinful.

Brother Gonzalez 04-26-2018 08:29 PM

When I am 20 minutes late to a meeting, I always tell the same to the participants: God is not concerned with such "minutes" neither do I, because I follow Jesus' teachings.

So wait for me 55 minutes, I am still on time according to what it's present in the Bible.

"It is the hour, stupid".

Freakdemon 04-27-2018 08:46 AM

Brother Gonzalez

I was wondering if I may have a few words with you, so I may better understand your way of thinking.

Brother Gonzalez 04-28-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakdemon (Post 1232013)
Brother Gonzalez

I was wondering if I may have a few words with you, so I may better understand your way of thinking.

Yes of course. But with all my Brothers as witnesses, otherwise it sounds gay to me.

Ask, and I will answer.

BrotherLarry 04-28-2018 11:16 PM

I find some of my best fellowship with men is in groups, Brother G. How's the wall coming along?

Your American Friend,
BrotherLarry

Brother Gonzalez 04-29-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1232125)
I find some of my best fellowship with men is in groups, Brother G. How's the wall coming along?

Your American Friend,
BrotherLarry

Coming back on topic, Donald is so Godly he also does not care about time. The Wall will be done, in due time. Only God and Donald know about the due time.

But I have received a memo to redirect all the workers and collected money to Donald's campaign for the Nobel prize. So I am doing.

Diesel Stanford 05-05-2018 07:24 PM

I think 2 Peter 3:8 says a lot:But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.