The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 218. Isaiah 52-54 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=30947)

Brother V 10-27-2009 08:11 PM

Day 218. Isaiah 52-54

Isaiah 52-54

Isaiah 52

1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

This would be right at the end of the Babylonian captivity. Remember, Isaiah started his prophetic times during Uzziah's reign as Judah king. That was sometime around 750 BC. In 597 Nebuchadnezzar first deported the jews. In 538 Cyrus gave the jews permission to return. That would give Isaiah a lifespan of over 200 years.

Here we see Isaiah speaking about the end of the exile. Even though we just got to hear about how the coming messiah would be a beacon to the gentiles, here we see that there's still hostility to them. The uncircumcised and unclean are obviously non-jews.

5 Now therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, saith the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed.

If you remember, yesterday God wanted to see the receipt. Here he's asking where's his money!

11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.

Here we see the people are being commanded to return. Like when they left Egypt and had to leave behind all their Egyptian styles, we see that they are to leave behind their Babylonian styles.

12 For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the LORD will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your reward.

Just like when they returned from Egypt, the LORD led them. The return trip didn't take 40 years though. It's 547 miles from Baghdad (Babylon) to Jerusalem. It's 265 miles from Cairo, Egypt to Jerusalem. God apparently got a GPS, as we don't have every member except for 2 people of the entirety of the hebrew nation dieing before being allowed back into Israel.

Isaiah 53

Lets talk messiah, shall we?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Wait, did that say that Jesus was kind of ugly?

http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/images/jesus.jpg

Does this guy have no comeliness, and no beauty? No, this guy is kind of attractive.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

I am the man of constant sorrow. Oh my gosh, it's the Soggy Bottom Boys!!!

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/archives/stryper.jpg

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

That's the problem with sheep, they have a tendency to forget where they are supposed to go. They wind up losing their way. They don't really care where they go, but they all seem to go there at once.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Why didn't he open his mouth?

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

You might call him the scapegoat, however, the scapegoat was let loose into the wilderness. All the sins of the people were placed on the head of the goat, and then it was made to leave. Jesus was a sheep who was killed, not a goat that was allowed to live.

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

So God was happy to beat himself up.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

God is going to share his wealth with himself after he conquers his own laws. PRAISE JESUS!!!

Isaiah 54

Remember back to Song of Solomon, God's love for Israel was compared to a man having sex with his wife. Isaiah 54 is another marriage analogy.

1 Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

Here we see that married women have less children than the unmarried. This chapter is spoken from the perspective of the man, as he's commenting on what he thinks his wife is feeling. Perhaps he's been a bad husband? Perhaps things just weren't going great? He's sorry he had to work late and that dinner was ruined.

3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

Remember, Ezra only took about 40,000 people back to Israel. Those are the children that are being mentioned. They are a tiny group, compared to the people they are going to supplant.

4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

OK, I DARE you to say this to your wife. Remember, Israel was sent away because of it's whoring after other idols. In the 70(ish) years of the Babylonian exile, she (the wife) has matured. She's not a shameful youth (whore, having "done some things she regretted"); she's mature, and is willing to be a good wife.

5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

God is the husband, Zion is the wife. She had kind of a checkered past, but the futures bright.

7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

That's God speaking.

8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.

Umm, Israel is a battered wife. Perhaps Israel should read this. Perhaps Israel should know that if He hit you once, He's going to hit you again. Perhaps Israel just thinks that He's only like that when He drinks. Perhaps Israel just thinks that it's Israel's fault that they got beaten, and if they try harder in the future they won't NEED to be hit again. Perhaps Israel should seek a divorce lawyer.

9 For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.

The husband here promises not to hit the wife again. That ALWAYS works, after the husband promises, he NEVER EVER hits her again.

10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

God seemingly forgot during the 1940's. But then right after, he goes back and promises not to hit her again.

11 O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.

He even tries to make up for it with jewelry.

13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Having kids always helps to bring a husband and wife who are having troubles, closer together. Oh, wait... no, then they just stay together for the kids.

17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Most people don't go around hitting wives who already have black eyes.

So what have we learned today?

1. Israel is a battered wife.

2. Jesus wasn't a scapegoat, those grow to a ripe old age.

3. STRYPER RAWKS!!!

YIC
V