The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Auntie Flo's Prayer Shack for Women (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ladies: Do not take your old tat to the thrift store! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=119522)

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 11-08-2021 10:31 AM

Ladies: Do not take your old tat to the thrift store!

I was clearing out the children's rooms over the weekend with a view to sending their old, ragged clothing, outgrown scuba suits, worn-out shoes and other junk to a local thrift store, recycling depot or dump. But this morning my daughter alerted me to this story: Amy Winehouse: Singer's items raise millions at auction

Quote:

The dress worn by Amy Winehouse during her final stage performance has sold for more than $243,000 at an auction of items from her estate....

More than $4m was raised from about 800 items. :o

A <brand-name redacted> tan-and-black jumpsuit worn for her performance celebrating Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday fetched more than $121,000 - its estimate was $1,000 - while pairs of pink ballet slippers sold for between $12,500 and $19,200.
The message is clear: old tat should be shipped to Los Angeles, where it seems that fools will buy anything. We certainly have many more than 800 items, to dispose of! If we all do this, dear Pastor Zeke will have his new jet in no time. :thumbsup:

handmaiden 11-08-2021 06:04 PM

Re: Ladies: Do not take your old tat to the thrift store!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1291086)
I was clearing out the children's rooms over the weekend with a view to sending their old, ragged clothing, outgrown scuba suits, worn-out shoes and other junk to a local thrift store, recycling depot or dump. But this morning my daughter alerted me to this story: Amy Winehouse: Singer's items raise millions at auction

The message is clear: old tat should be shipped to Los Angeles, where it seems that fools will buy anything. We certainly have many more than 800 items, to dispose of! If we all do this, dear Pastor Zeke will have his new jet in no time. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Sister Joanna, for this wise counsel. Those people willing to fork over big bucks for Amy Winehouse "artifacts" are like medieval Catholics, buying up anything their larcenous church ascribed "saintly magic" to.

Would it help fetch a higher price for my discarded clothing if I wore too much eye makeup?

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 11-08-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1291092)
Those people willing to fork over big bucks for Amy Winehouse "artifacts" are like medieval Catholics, buying up anything their larcenous church ascribed "saintly magic" to.

Now you have given me an idea there. Do you think the price raised at auction would be higher if the catalog certified the items as worn/used/damaged/destroyed by the untattooed children of True Christian™ parents?

I believe these auction houses take something like a 10% commission on sales, sometimes from both the buyer and the seller. This is maybe a business we should ask the pastors about? Or even, bearing in mind Proverbs 14:23, we Ladies of Landover should not bother them, but instead look into getting into it ourselves!

James Hutchins 11-09-2021 02:32 PM

Wow, I had no idea how much a prostitutes old clothes were worth.

What I do not get is why? Why buy used clothes. Is that a mud stain? Red paint?
You buy used clothes for half price??? They last 1/2 as long. Buy new clothes. Sell them for 1/2 price. You spend the same but gt to wear new clothes.
You never saw Jesus in stained hand-me-downs. Always the finest Egyptian cotton and real gold weaving festooned for the finest gems. Worn once and burned.

The Attention Seeker Jen 12-06-2021 01:46 AM

Unlike many I'm not a NIMBY. I've been donating some of my worn hand me downs to make COVID tents for the homeless.

Also, I thought Jesus wore a tallit with wooly tassles?

Dennis Lukes 12-06-2021 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Attention Seeker Jen (Post 1291986)
I've been donating some of my worn hand me downs to make COVID tents for the homeless.

That is quite generous. How many tents can they make out of one of your blouses?

MitzaLizalor 12-06-2021 05:16 PM

I've got some old tents if they'd be any help. One of them's first world war vintage, hemp ropes, all wood fittings and thick cane poles. I'm not sure about the others, much more recent. I'll have a look later and get all the spiders out.

The Attention Seeker Jen 12-06-2021 09:51 PM

If I was closer, I would gladly help you out, Mitza.

I need some help getting the stains out of mine. Think they'll care if their new tent was my old Menstra-hut?