The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 188. Proverbs 10-12 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=29364)

Brother V 09-16-2009 05:08 PM

Day 188. Proverbs 10-12

Proverbs 10-12

Proverbs 10

1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.

Finally, the actual proverbs of Solomon. We've had to wade through three days worth of Solomon describing what wisdom is and what foolishness is just to get here. Of course, being the sex beast that Solomon was, his analogies were always about women. Oh look, the first proverb includes women.

This first proverb reminds me of when I was a child. My father was the choir director at church, my mother was in the choir. On Wednesday nights after Royal Ambassadors (for the boys, I don't remember what the girls did, but RA was kind of like boy scouts for us southern baptist kids) and the adults had the prayer meeting, my father held the choir rehearsals. Well, the kids who had parents in the choir would invariably wind up outside playing tag. Sometimes it'd be raining, or cold, so we could be outside, so we'd play in the rest of the church. Sometimes, we'd just sit and listen to the choir practice. Well, this one time, I was rowdy, and my father yelled at my mother "Patsy, make your son be quiet". Which is a perfect example of Proverbs 10:1. When son's are good, they are a reflection of the father, when they are bad, it's because the mother raised them poorly.

In relating this proverb more to Solomon, you think that he probably had thousands of children. Being king, he didn't have to keep all of them around them. The good ones, were a result of his superior genetics and wisdom, the not so good ones, well, that was their mothers problem.

5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.

Someone who sleeps through harvest is quite the dumbass.

7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.

The Egyptians did a much better job of blotting out the name of people who they didn't like. It wasn't until just recently that several pharaoh's were discovered, their names had been chiseled off of almost all Egyptian literature. The Hebrews didn't do such a good job at rotting the names of the wicked... for example.

Deuteronomy 25:19 Therefore it shall be, when the LORD thy God hath given thee rest from all thine enemies round about, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance to possess it, that thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it.

If you are trying to blot out the remembrance of someone, it's probably best not to put it into the best selling book of all time.

15 The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.

Remember, it's very hard to make money off of rich people. They got that way for a reason. Poor people, on the other hand, are rather easy to get money from. Rich people normally don't own a salad shooter. You'll find some poor people with three of them, which is odd because they seem to only eat at mcdonalds.

20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.

Silver tongued means fluent and persuasive speech.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

Compare Patrick Swayze to Pat Robertson.

29 The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity.

Pat Robertson can leg press 4 tons, and Swayze once picked up that girl with the big nose over his head, who is stronger?

Proverbs 11

This chapter starts out dealing with societal proverbs.

1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.

Why didn't the king just make a law that false balances were illegal? Why did he have to put the fear of Jesus into everyone? It's already a law in Leviticus 19:36 to have just balances, was there a problem with bad scales and cheating sellers, that caused the king to proclaim that God hates bad scales?

7 When a wicked man dieth, his expectation shall perish: and the hope of unjust men perisheth.

Wasn't Michael Jackson in "The Wiz", isn't that the same story as "Wicked"? Coincidence?

9 An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.

Like when the hypocrite neighbour says you need to mow, and his yard needs mowing just as bad, but because his yard is more hidden, nobody realizes his yard is over run!

10 When it goeth well with the righteous, the city rejoiceth: and when the wicked perish, there is shouting.

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Ding dong, the kiddie diddler is dead.

22 As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

Solomon, once again, talking about chicks. A pretty whore, is still a whore. A pig with a diamond ear ring is still a pig.

26 He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it.

My family has always prefered P.A.G.

30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Pastor Deacon Fred, is a wise man, who has actually won more souls than he?

Proverbs 12

1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Again, we have Solomon mentioning that smart people are willing to be corrected, but people who don't like to know their faults wind up hating the person who corrects them.

4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.

A bad wife is a cancer. A good one makes a man a king.

7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.

http://www.greatdreams.com/weather/h...lchrist-tx.jpg

Warren and Pam Adams, since Hurricane Rita in 2005, have since become True Christians ™ and righteous. Their neighbours, not that there are any anymore, are not.

10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Righteous men will not throw a cat off the top of a grain elevator to prove if it will land on it's feet. "He was going good for a while, then about halfway down, just kind of lost it"

11 He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that followeth vain persons is void of understanding.

Vegetables from your own garden taste better.

15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

A fool won't follow instructions, that's why they have pieces left over when they build a bicycle for their bastard children at Xmas.

18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

Why am I reminded of this verse?

Revelation 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Um, doesn't that mean that when Jesus returns he's not going to be wise?

24 The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

I believe Solomon is talking directly to his children in that Proverb. If you work hard, you will be king, if not, you will have to give your brother part of your earnings.

27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.

The roasting is probably curing or smoking of the meat, so that it's preserved. A lazy person will not do that immediately and all their hunt will go to waste.

28 In the way of righteousness is life: and in the pathway thereof there is no death.

Why am I reminded of this verse?

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Everyone dies.

So what have we learned today?

1. If you don't harvest, or cure your meats, you are a fool.

2. Righteous people will be remembered; wicked will not, and it's ok to rejoice when they die.

3. A pretty whore, is still a whore.

YIC
V