The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 78. 1 Samuel 1-3 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=5599)

Brother V 11-23-2007 06:58 PM

Day 78. 1 Samuel 1-3

1 Samuel 1-3

We are pretty much done with the era of the judges now, and we'll start getting into the time of the kings. Before we start getting to talk about the kings, we get to learn about Samuel. We will later learn how Sam set up the first 2 kings, but that's further down the road.

Today we get:
  • The birth of Samuel
  • Hannah's prayer
  • Eli and his boys
  • God talks to Sam

1 Samuel 1

There was an Ephrathite named Elkanah. He had two wives Peninnah and Hannah. Peninnah had kids, Hannah was barren (how many barren wives have we seen?).

Every year, Elk and Pen and Han went up to Shiloh to worhip God, like they were supposed to.

Well, one year Hannah decided that Elk loved Pen more, because she had kids. Peninnah was also mocking Hannah because God had shut up her womb.

This made Hannah sad, and she cried.

8 Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons?

Why do some women think that they have to have children to be complete?

While they were at Shiloh she prayed.

11 And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

She offered to make her child a Nazarite (like Samson).

While she was praying, Eli saw her, and thought she was drunk.

14 And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.

15 And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.

16 Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.

Drunk, praying, it's hard for some people to tell the difference.

17 Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.

19 And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her.

Elk knew, the LORD remembered.

20 Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.

After a while, it came time for Elk and his wives to go up to Shiloh for their yearly journey. Hannah said she would go up after Samuel had finished weaning (he was still being breast fed). Maybe Hannah didn't want to give up her only son sooner than she was ready.

24 And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the LORD in Shiloh: and the child was young.

They slaughtered the bullock, and she gave Samuel to Eli.

28 Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

1 Samuel 2

Hannah prayed/ sang a song.

1 And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation.

Her only enemy at the time was Elk's other wife.

2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

She doesn't explicitly say there are no other gods, she just says none are as good as ours.

3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.

Again, it sounds like she's talking about her fellow wife. Saying she's as good as her.

4 The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.

Man, she just can't get over the fact that she had a child. Perhaps if every woman who just had a child could read this prayer, they wouldn't have post-partum.

5 They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble.

Well, the barren haven't born seven yet, but let's see.

6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.

7 The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.

Even this uneducated woman knows that God makes low, makes poor, and brings people to the grave.

8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.

9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.

10 The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.

This prayer/song is obviously also an imprecatory prayer. Where one is also asking God to do bad things to one's enemies. In this cases Peninnah.

12 Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.

They may have grown up in the church, they may have had the best genes, and had been promised the priesthood. But these boys were BAD! In this case, the apple fell FAR from the tree, because Eli was a pretty good man.

Their biggest crimes were taking the offerings before they were finished cooking, and eating the fat.

They were also rude about it, and people didn't want to go sacrifice to the LORD, because they just didn't like Eli's boys.

17 Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD: for men abhorred the offering of the LORD.

Could you imagine WANTING to go to church and putting money in the offering plate, if you watched the deacons taking money out of the plate and putting it in their pockets, right in front of you?

21 And the LORD visited Hannah, so that she conceived, and bare three sons and two daughters. And the child Samuel grew before the LORD.

I only count that as 6 kids, unlike in the prayer, where she talked of seven.

22 Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

So not only did the boys take the offerings, they also slept with women who were waiting outside of the tabernacle. Bad kids.

Eli, then called them bad kids.

25 If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.

So if you don't listen to your father's admonition, then the LORD can't slay you?

26 And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the LORD, and also with men.

Good ole Samuel.

Then a man of God (probably and angel) showed up and promised Eli that his line would end, and that his boys wouldn't grow up to be old.

34 And this shall be a sign unto thee, that shall come upon thy two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas; in one day they shall die both of them.

Wow, that's quite a curse.

35 And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.

He's talking about Samuel here.

1 Samuel 3

1 And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.

Similar to today, wouldn't you say. In the times when God is quiet, the ministering is very important. That's why people like Pastor Deacon Fred are so important. When God doesn't have a prophet, and isn't actively walking in our midst, the divinely anointed ones are even MORE important.

2 And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see;

3 And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;

Eli was getting old, and the lamp that was never to go out, went out. OOPS.

4 That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

Hey SAM!

5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

Apparently, the LORD sounds a lot like Eli.

God then called him again, and he ran to Eli.

And AGAIN, and he ran to Eli.

9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

Eli got tired of being woke up by the lad, so he said, instead of running here, listen to what the voice has to say.

God then talks to Samuel.

11 And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle.

And your skin will crawl, and the hairs will stand up on the back of your neck (ok, I added that part).

12 In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end.

When God fulfills his promise, it's either a good thing, or a bad thing, either way, He's GREAT!!!

14 And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.

Eli's son's sins were so great, that there is no offering or sacrifice that could fix it. Hmmm, is this another unpardonable sin, or did Eli's sons blaspheme the Holy Spirit? That would have to be it. Otherwise, the words "for ever" wouldn't be there. Even if the boys ASKED for forgiveness, they wouldn't receive it. Tell that to someone who says that God forgives ALL sins.

Eli, later asks Samuel what God said to him, and not to be afraid to tell him it all.

18 And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.

I don't know if it was Samuel or Eli who said, "let him do what seemeth him good" I have to believe it was Eli who said that. Otherwise, it's just a cocky little boy telling an old man that God is going to kill his children, and to just roll with the punches.

19 And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground.

God ensured that EVERYONE heard, and knew that Samuel was talking FOR him.

21 And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD.

If you read his word, God will reveal himself to you. Are you still reading?

So what have we learned today?

1. There are unforgivable sins. Sins that no offering or sacrifice (acts of repentance) will purge.
2. Hannah offered a pseudo-imprecatory prayer.
3. Silent prayer sometimes looks like drunken rambling.

YIC
V

Brother Temperance 11-30-2007 05:49 PM

Re: Day 78. 1 Samuel 1-3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother V (Post 110663)

12 Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.

To me, it sounds sort of like Eli's wife has some explaining to do. Sort of like how Joseph's wife gave birth to God's son, only different.

Pastor Billy-Reuben 03-03-2008 06:56 PM

Re: Day 78. 1 Samuel 1-3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother V (Post 110663)
25 If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.

So if you don't listen to your father's admonition, then the LORD can't slay you?

The Webster 1828 dictionary tells us that there is another sense of the word "would". This is the sense that applies here:

Quote:

Would has the sense of wish or pray, particularly in the phrases, would to God, would God we had died in Egypt, I would that ye knew what conflict I have; that is, I could wish such a thing, if the wish could avail. Here also there is an implied condition.
God strongly desired to slay Eli's sons, so He hardened their hearts so they wouldn't listen to their father's admonitions.

As you pointed out, this was during a time when God was being subtle. That's why He hardened their hearts to make sure that they would remain damned instead of instantly consuming them in a big fireball like he did to Aaron's boys. This subtlety was a new tactic for Him, so that's why God felt it necessary to add the decree that any attempt at atonement from them would not be accepted.

As any seeker struggling with finding their faith can testify, God has certainly mastered the art of subtlety these days. Back in Moses' time, miracles were obvious. People were instantly killed by columns of fire from the sky, swallowed up by the ground, or besieged by flying flaming biting serpents. These days, God limits His miracles to things about which the atheists can invent so-called "rational explanations", such as cancer going into remission or leaving a cross-shaped piece of steel in the World Trade Center rubble.

Pastor Billy-Reuben