The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 345: 2 Timothy 1-4 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=110832)

Martin J. Godeberht 11-30-2016 02:42 PM

Day 345: 2 Timothy 1-4

This letter concentrates on all of the things we as True Christians™ owe to Paul, and lists all of the pain and suffering he went through just for us.

Chapter 1

Paul begins the letter with the customary greetings (2 Tim 1-2). Paul is a superhuman who can pray without ceasing:

2 Timothy 1:
3 I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;

Paul cannot stop thinking about Timothy, and he wants to see him (2 Tim 1:4-5), all in a totally non-gay way (similarly to his totally non-gay relationship with Simon the tanner).

Paul, with his typical modesty, states that God's gift was given to Timothy when Paul has put one of his hands on a unspecified part of Timothy's body:

2 Timothy 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

We should be grateful for God's gifts (2 Tim 1:7) and not ashamed of persecution which follows (2 Tim 1:8), because Jesus is our Savior (2 Tim 1:9-10).

Again, with his typical modesty, Paul reminds us that he is the appointed apostle (2 Tim 1:11), for which he has suffered persecution, and he's not ashamed of it (2 Tim 1:12).

We should never forget what Paul teaches, after all, his words ae Jesus' words (2 Tim 1:13-14). Paul expresses hope that God will have mercy on those who have turned against Paul (2 Tim 1:15-18) - such mercy is needed to save these people because Paul's enemies are God's enemies.

Chapter 2

We should be strong in Jesus (2 Tim 2:1) and spread the Word of God to others (2 Tim 2:20), and be good soldiers for Jesus:

2 Timothy 2:3-4
3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Similar metaphors follow (2 Tim 2:5-6).

If we don't do what Paul say, God won't help us:

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

It is Paul who gave us the gospel:

2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Just like Jesus, Paul suffered unjust persecution so that we can be Saved:

2 Timothy 9-10
9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

We have to follow Jesus to be Saved™ (2 Tim 2:11-14). We have to study the Word of God (2 Tim 2:15), but avoid overthinking it:

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Overthinking the Word of God leads to heresy (2 Tim 2:17-18). God knows who is a True Christian™ and who is a babbling heretic (2 Tim 2:19). In every congregation there are sinners, and the correct way of dealing with them is by shunning:

2 Timothy 2:20-21
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Be pure of heart (2 Tim 2:22) and don't ask too many questions, for they are foolish:

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Teach unbelievers with meekness (2 Tim 2:24-25), so that they can be saved from the devil (2 Tim 2:26)

Chapter 3

Beware: the days near the End will be difficult (2 Tim 3:1), with even more sinners than usual (2 Tim 3:2-4). Shun them before they creep into your houses and corrupt the silly minds of your women:

2 Timothy 3:5-6
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Don't even try to convince them - they are incapable of learning (2 Tim 3:7-8). They are the ultimate losers (2 Tim 3:9).

Remember what Paul taught us and how much he suffered for us:

2 Timothy 3:10-11
10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

In fact, all Tue Christians™ will be persecuted:

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

All that wile the evil doers will get worse and worse (2 Tim 3:13). Nevertheless, True Christians™ should keep following the Bible (2 Tim 3:14-15), because the Bible is infallible - it is the Manual of Godly Life given us by God:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Chapter 4

Judging and rebuking sinners is good:

2 Timothy 4:1-2
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
Unfortunately, sinners will be sinners (2 Tim 4:3-4). However, we need not to be discouraged and keep suffering persecution while spreading the Gospel (2 Tim 4:5-6).

For Paul the time has come - after Jesus' sacrifice, now it's Paul's turn to be sacrificed (in a totally non-megalomaniac and non-melodramatic sort of way, of course):

2 Timothy 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

Paul is proud what he has accomplished in his life (2 Tim 4:7), and modestly awaits his crown of righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

The rest of the letter is filled with personal business. Paul wants Timothy to visit him soon (2 Tim 4:9), because Demas and Titus have abandoned hum (2 Tim 4:10). Thankfully, Paul has Luke to give him comfort, and wants Timothy to bring Mark as well (2 Tim 4:11). He sent Tychicus away (2 Tim 4:12). Also, Paul wants his coat, books, and paper (2 Tim 4:13).

Paul's personal enemies will be punished by God:

2 Timothy 4:14-15
14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
15 Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.

Paul has some serious abandonment issues (2 Tim 4:16), but God was with him to save him and He will continue to do so (2 Tim 4:17-18). The letter ends with the usual greetings, and asking Timothy to visit before winter (2 Tim 4:19-22).