The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   The Freehold Truth and Light Baptist newspaper (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Innovation in #YourFreehold (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=118854)

Johny Joe Hold 05-19-2021 04:47 PM

Innovation in #YourFreehold

I hate to brag, but Freehold's Christian city government is ahead of cities everywhere in its efficiency. We have innovation at work all around the city.

The latest innovation I'm considering is a 13' high robot that looks like a giant human being. There are several uses for these. They could walk around the city with a loud voice condemning sinners and telling the to leave. They could help Landover Baptist Church collect tithes. If you are speeding one of them could shout at you using your name taken from your license plate number or facial recognition. They are available now imported from Korea--hopefully local versions here soon.

Watch Korea's mech take its first steps with a pilot on board | Engadget

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/Ui...ed.jpg.cf.webp

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 05-19-2021 04:56 PM

Re: Innovation in #YourFreehold

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1284704)
The latest innovation I'm considering is a 13' high robot that looks like a giant human being.

I suppose making it headess means that it can be CSCC™ (Certified Second Commandment Compliant), Brother Mr. Mayor, Sir?

Exodus 20:4 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Johny Joe Hold 05-19-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1284705)
I suppose making it headess means that it can be CSCC™ (Certified Second Commandment Compliant), Brother Mr. Mayor, Sir?
Exodus 20:4 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Thank you for that great question, Sister Joanna. The robot could be fitted with a head--I'll leave the yes or no on that to theologians. My thinking is we want to avoid parody always. If a likeness of someone would help with the mission of the robot we can discuss that.

handmaiden 05-19-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1284705)

That makes SO MUCH sense, Sister Joanna! And since Jesus is the Head of our church, it seems right to leave off a physical head as a nod to the spiritual one that we all know is there.

Isabella White 05-19-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1284704)
I hate to brag, but Freehold's Christian city government is ahead of cities everywhere in its efficiency. We have innovation at work all around the city.

The latest innovation I'm considering is a 13' high robot that looks like a giant human being. There are several uses for these. They could walk around the city with a loud voice condemning sinners and telling the to leave. They could help Landover Baptist Church collect tithes. If you are speeding one of them could shout at you using your name taken from your license plate number or facial recognition. They are available now imported from Korea--hopefully local versions here soon.

Watch Korea's mech take its first steps with a pilot on board | Engadget

My goodness! Isn't this just so futuristic, dear Brother Mayor Hold. I can see how this is the common-sense approach that is needed for the times in which we live. Why, imagine if marauders were to vandalize Freehold, in general, or, :landover-fancy:, in particular. Having a defence system such as patrolling robots would be highly beneficial in deterring such invaders.

However, one wonders if something could go amiss during operational times? What if the robot were to malfunction, or if its programming were to fail? Is there an easy-to-find "reboot" button on the robot? Or, will it defeat the purpose for which it was intended? As you shall see here, this sort of thing can happen, and it can be terribly terrifying when it occurs!

Johny Joe Hold 05-19-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella White (Post 1284724)
However, one wonders if something could go amiss during operational times? What if the robot were to malfunction, or if its programming were to fail? Is there an easy-to-find "reboot" button on the robot? Or, will it defeat the purpose for which it was intended?

Your caution is warranted, Sister Isabella. I've heard driverless cars don't know what to do when they see traffic cones.

Certainly it would take some work to program the robots properly. For example it would need to spend some time on Las Vegas sidewalks learning to spot harlots. And recognizing men in drag might not be automatic but require carful imagine recognition.

Think of the fun this would be. The robot would have a powerful loud speaker. When is saw two men holding hands it would point and boom, SHAME!