The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Easter is About Jesus - Period! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Palm Sunday (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=116169)

BrotherLarry 04-14-2019 07:32 PM

Palm Sunday

Today is Palm Sunday, and at my church in the City, our pastor presented us all with a small palm as a token of his love for the congregation. He urged us to carry it with us everywhere today and indeed I have it in my hand as I type one handed. I have lots of experience with doing that so I am ok with it.

I felt the inspiration of the Lord as I walked home, brushing my palm against everyone as I prayed that it would somehow touch them with the Holy Spirit's unction. The Lord gave me this song - which I would normally post above but I wanted others to visit this thread and receive its blessings. Here, then, is "Palm Sunday," and I hope you'll worship with me as you read it.

PALM SUNDAY

I went to church this morning
I saw my dear friends there
Brother Adam in his jacket, Sister Sue with her big hair
Little Joey had some chocolate
Though I asked, he wouldn't share.
The pastor handed me a palm and I waved it in the air

CHORUS:

Cause it's Palm Sunday, Palm Sunday
And Jesus knows it is
He died this upcoming Friday
And then on Sunday ris'
Palm Sunday, Palm Sunday
I wave my palms on high
Because my Savior bled and ris
I'll be in Heaven when I die.

The sermon was about suffering
And how much Jesus had
He was beat and kicked and mocked and stuff
And they gave it to Him bad
If I had stood near the cross I know
I'd use my palm to give him a blow
This verse is already way too long
So I'll put an end to this song

(Repeat CHORUS)

Isabella White 04-14-2019 09:40 PM

Re: Palm Sunday

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLarry (Post 1249536)
Today is Palm Sunday, and at my church in the City, our pastor presented us all with a small palm as a token of his love for the congregation. He urged us to carry it with us everywhere today and indeed I have it in my hand as I type one handed. I have lots of experience with doing that so I am ok with it.

I felt the inspiration of the Lord as I walked home, brushing my palm against everyone as I prayed that it would somehow touch them with the Holy Spirit's unction. The Lord gave me this song - which I would normally post above but I wanted others to visit this thread and receive its blessings. Here, then, is "Palm Sunday," and I hope you'll worship with me as you read it.

PALM SUNDAY

I went to church this morning
I saw my dear friends there
Brother Adam in his jacket, Sister Sue with her big hair
Little Joey had some chocolate
Though I asked, he wouldn't share.
The pastor handed me a palm and I waved it in the air

CHORUS:

Cause it's Palm Sunday, Palm Sunday
And Jesus knows it is
He died this upcoming Friday
And then on Sunday ris'
Palm Sunday, Palm Sunday
I wave my palms on high
Because my Savior bled and ris
I'll be in Heaven when I die.

The sermon was about suffering
And how much Jesus had
He was beat and kicked and mocked and stuff
And they gave it to Him bad
If I had stood near the cross I know
I'd use my palm to give him a blow
This verse is already way too long
So I'll put an end to this song

(Repeat CHORUS)

Oh, that is just so lovely, dearest Brother Larry! And may I thank you profoundly for sharing this with us. Heavens above, you've made me weepy, once again. Perhaps some day, you will be able to record this beautiful song and upload an MP3 for the benefit of all of the :true-fancy: people, here at :church-fancy:-- :landover-fancy:. A blessed day to you, Dear Brother Larry. Sincerely, Isabella W.

MitzaLizalor 04-15-2019 10:47 AM

So many forget so often that if Jesus wasn't treated as badly as He was our sins would not have been forgiven.
Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Johny Joe Hold 04-15-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1249561)
So many forget so often that if Jesus wasn't treated as badly as He was our sins would not have been forgiven.
Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

It baffles me that atheists and those not-to-bright people of other religions like the Jews and Hindus do not observe Palm Sunday and Easter. Why can't they show some appreciation for the tough experience Jesus had for their sins? We have days for veterans who lost their lives for our country, all faiths join in for that. Why can't they do the same for Jesus?

MitzaLizalor 04-16-2019 10:22 AM

Perhaps, as you've suggested, they're simple. Incapable of understanding it. Even though it's been explained.

If Jesus wasn't tortured (whipped) before He was killed, how could sin be forgiven? Simply dying wasn't enough. For example if Mary had a miscarriage, Jesus would have died. Or again if it had been a live birth but one of the animals squashed His head. Probably in that case there'd be bruising but no stripes, meaning that evil would be cleansed away but the inward parts of the belly (more explicit description hardly necessary) would remain impure.
I Corinthians 12:23,25a And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness..that there should be no schism in the body
Jesus was killed as an adult for a reason. If resurrected as a baby, there would be a communication problem. And would a baby entering Jerusalem be so remarkable? Again, Jesus did this as a child but there wasn't much of a reception - although He knew what His business was once there.

For doubters, though, no evidence would ever be enough. Whether Jesus appeared to 2 or 3 or 11 or 12 or 500 or 5,000 or 5,000,000 they'd just say "That's not evidence!" but we know that in order to rise again Jesus first had to die. And to die He needed to enter Jerusalem. Palm Sunday is in no sense "magic" or an excuse to get your idols out but if this historical event never occurred none of the rest could follow. And yet it did.

Jim C. Lombardo 04-17-2019 07:01 PM

I have to admit Brother Larry, my favorite palm of all is yours on your PP! :wub: I hope you bring it out this Sunday.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 04-17-2019 08:20 PM

Brother Larry, have you sent these simply gorgeous lyrics to Brother Roper Crossburn? Because although it's a year since he announced his retirement, I think they might be enough to make him think again.