The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   False Religions and Cults (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Atheist fallacies (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=87414)

Billy Bob Jenkins 02-23-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsEffy (Post 980495)
This site is absolutely ridiculous. It's like I have teleported back to 1825. Atheism is not an excuse for homosexuality, and even if it was, there is nothig wrong with being gay. I am an Atheist and I respect everyone's beliefs. It's okay to be a Christian, it's okay to be a Jew, it's okay to be a Muslim etc. But you guys just use your belief as an excuse to be a racist, homophobic, masogynistic Rodimer. Have a nice day.

Friend, wouldn't you prefer it if the homosexuals would just own up to their lifestyle choice, instead of pretending there is no God to try and justify it? It just goes to show that the pleasures of the anus are more important to homers than the risk of anal-borne illness, or even God Himself. While they transmit their AIDS ass to genital, genital to ass, genital to genital, ass to ass, ass to mouth, ass to toilet seat to ass, ass to hand to mouth to mouth, ass to child, and every other conceivable configuration, they have the audacity to deny that God is killing them, denying Him the glory that His omnipotent retribution deserves. Jesus is a hero. He sacrificed Himself temporarily on he cross and now reigns over the entire cosmos. And homers have the audacity to deny that He even exists! That, my friend, is 'ridiculous'!

Also, it is a low blow to call us names like that. It is just uncalled for. You might as well feed us to the lions. :(

If you would bother to read the Bible, you would know that God is explicitly on the side of those who resist homosexual oppression and institutional ass rape. It is time that Christians stood tall and declared their freedom of religion in the face of ubiquitous gay elitism.

The Republican party will never be the party of the elite, the experts, or even the intelligent. It will always remain the underdog, insuring the interests of the few with a loud voice to compensate for its humble nature. :innocent:

So please, let's leave the subject of assrape behind us (where it goes), and move forward to more important subjects, like the temporary sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and the conditions necessary to receive His unconditional love. Do you think you can do that, friend?

Dr Laurence Niles 02-23-2013 12:13 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsEffy (Post 980522)
This is the 21st century, when are you going to realise everybody thinks you're ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous to want to do the best by one's fellow man?

Why is it ridiculous to try to live life as a decent person?

Why is it ridiculous to beleive that people can live a meaningful life to the benefit of all?

I just don't understand how atheist how CHOOSE to live such an empty life: where is you sense of the wonder in the world?

YIC

Pim Pendergast 02-23-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsEffy (Post 980522)
This is the 21st century, when are you going to realise everybody thinks you're ridiculous.

We already know everyone thinks we're ridiculous.

1 Cor 1:26-29
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.


Apparently even God thinks we're ridiculous, considering He had this put in the Bible.

But thank you for ridiculing and mocking us. You have now guaranteed us a blessing from God.

Mat 5:11-12 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Alphonse Alban 02-23-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsEffy (Post 980522)
This is the 21st century

Yes. How is word of God any less true now, than it was 400 years ago or will be in the 22nd century?

blendmaster345 04-01-2013 04:45 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 975586)
A fallacy is an error in reasoning or logic.
Begging the question. Also known as circular reasoning. This is when a claim is assumed to be true without any evidence to support it other than the claim itself. For example, atheists presuppose that God doesn’t exist and then claim that all evidence supporting the existence of God must be flawed because He doesn’t exist. We, on the other hand, know that God exists because the Bible tells us so, and we know that the Bible is reliable because it tells us it is inspired by God.

If I were God, I would/ wouldn’t… I wasn’t sure what to call this one, so I made up a name for it. Perhaps someone else on this godly forum knows the proper name. This is when people try to disprove God’s existence by claiming that if they God they would do things differently. For example, Richard Dawkins claimed that if God were real, He would have created fewer species. People often say something like, “If I were God, I wouldn’t allow suffering in the world; therefore God doesn’t exist.” Just because you might do things differently if you were God doesn’t mean God doesn’t exist. Personally, I wouldn’t do anything differently if I were God. He is perfect.

You say that Atheists use Circular Reasoning, however, when you say "I wouldn't do anything differently if I were God. He is perfect", you are using circular thinking. You say that god does everything perfectly, because god is perfect. Your only reasoning for why god is perfect seems to be because he just is.

Also, learn to use normal apostrophes.

Pim Pendergast 04-01-2013 05:06 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blendmaster345 (Post 991559)
You say that Atheists use Circular Reasoning, however, when you say "I wouldn't do anything differently if I were God. He is perfect", you are using circular thinking. You say that god does everything perfectly, because god is perfect. Your only reasoning for why god is perfect seems to be because he just is.

I knew this would happen sooner or later. Atheists often project their fallacies onto Christians. God is perfect because the Bible tells us so.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

We know the Bible is trustworthy because it tells us it is the inspired word of God.

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

And we know God's Word is true because the Bible tells us so.

Jn 17:17b Thy word is truth.

I take it you think you would do things differently if you were God. Perhaps you wouldn't permit evil. And because of that, you think God doesn't exist. Welcome to the forum, anyway. Please be sure to start a thread in the introduction forum and tell us what church you go to, what your favorite Bible verse is and how you came to find Jesus.

MitzaLizalor 04-01-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 991561)
God is perfect because the Bible tells us so.

Although we know that God is perfect the heathens we witness to may not have that established, in their understanding of the world.

For them, the starting point might be "Is God perfect?"

By looking at what they'd probably call empirical evidence, taking simple observations without differentiating cause or effect, a body of fact is accumulated.

If we saw food provided which we couldn't digest, for example, or rain that prevented the growth of plants then we could ask (justifiably I suppose) whether God was perfect or even competent. But that is not what we see.
Psalm 139
14
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
KJV
Everything He does is perfect. Therefore God is perfect.





.

Pim Pendergast 08-11-2018 01:15 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Sunk cost fallacy. I would never have invested so much of my time, effort and resources on studying and defending atheism and evolutionism and promoting secularism and humanism if it weren't true or worthwhile; therefore I must double down on my position and work even harder to defend and promote it. The longer you put off facing up to reality and cutting your losses, the greater your loss. Jesus encourages us to count the cost before we follow Him (Lk 14:28-33). Since I am a Christian, I have therefore counted the cost and can be certain I have not wasted my life studying Theoscience.

MitzaLizalor 08-11-2018 01:36 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 1236262)
Sunk cost fallacy.

I'm just taking that in.

Imagine the "sunk cost" for places like universities where they've been thinking up stuff to make their circles square for hundreds of years! Evolutionists for example; they didn't start with Charles Darwin. He simply cooked up some dodgy observations and minced a few words to give a demonstration of what had been postulated for some time. Now they have whole departments sifting through the nonsense looking for an occasional bead to string along with their word salad: honestly. It makes me smile. They're not fooling anyone.

Pim Pendergast 08-11-2018 04:46 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1236263)
Imagine the "sunk cost" for places like universities where they've been thinking up stuff to make their circles square for hundreds of years! Evolutionists for example . . . It makes me smile. They're not fooling anyone.

Rather than invest their time and money on something useful, such as building a lifesize replica of Noah's Ark, they squander taxpayer dollars on bolstering support for their silly creation myths (big bang theory/ evolutionism). If only they would heed Jesus' exhortation to reassess whether they are expending their energy on a worthy pursuit and, if not, to turn back while they still can. The price of not doing so can be very high. Indeed, you could lose your soul (Mt 16:26). Nothing could be more rewarding and meaningful than dedicating your life to the truth. I am reminded of our very own Pastor Zeke, who has selflessly and tirelessly dedicated his life to feeding Jesus's lambs. Surely his labor in the Lord is not in vain.

MitzaLizalor 08-11-2018 03:35 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
I was having trouble keeping up with all the fallacies so made a quick chart for my own reference.
I'll just leave it here so everyone can see where we're up to.


.
.
Fallacycomments
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifGenetic fallacy
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifAd hominem
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifBegging the question.a type of circular reasoning
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifIf I were God.Typical Mind fallacy?
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifNo true Scotsman
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifInvincible ignorance
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifAppeal to consequences
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifBlind faith.particularly applicable to Marxists
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifGod Loves Everyone.simply a false premise
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifMisplaced burden of proof
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifSpecial pleading
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifMoving the goalposts
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifWishful thinking
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifArgument from ignorance
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifAppeal to authority
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifArgument from self-knowing
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifArgument from incredulity
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifHindsight bias
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifConfirmation bias
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifBackfire effect
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifDunning-Kruger effect?.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367 .
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifThe fallacist's fallacy
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifnon sequitur
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifProof by assertion
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifAppeal to ridicule
https://www.landoverbaptist.net/imag...s/viewpost.gifSunk cost fallacy


Secularists often go on about we should respect other people's beliefs. There was an example of this a few posts ago and I asked twice about what seemed grossly disrespectful to God's Inerrant Word. Of course this particular secularist would not consider it inerrant and require us to respect that. It was a fairly short dialogue.




Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by an atheist, earlier (Post 980495)
I am an Atheist and I respect everyone's beliefs. It's okay to be a Christian, it's okay to be a Jew, it's okay to be a Muslim etc. But you guys just use your belief as an excuse to be a racist, homophobic, masogynistic [sic]

Quote:

Originally Posted by me, later (Post 980509)
Well, you say you do but..are you suggesting that you disrespect those who respect God's Inerrant Word?

Don't take my word for it. Check it out here
Quote:

remember this?
I respect everyone's beliefs







Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by the atheist (demonstrating a Red Herring fallacy) (Post 980522)
This is the 21st century, when are you going to realise everybody thinks you're ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by me (still hoping for an answer) (Post 980524)
I don't mind if you think I'm ridiculous.

What I'm interested in is what you mean by
Quote:

I respect everyone's beliefs




Then, nothing. So typical of the atheistic approach. As soon as you have a simple question of the type any Christian is happy to answer they go on about respect then get very critical and disappear. I find that very disrespectful.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 08-14-2018 11:09 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Thank you, Sister Mitza, for the very helpful chart. I shall refer to it often. Just in case anyone should wish to read the full text of the Dunning-Kruger article, a free version is also available: :link:

It is interesting that their work was inspired by the tragic case of one Mr McArthur Wheeler, who robbed banks having first taken the precaution of making himself invisible to the security cameras by rubbing lemon juice on his face (ouch!). He based this on a recipe for invisible ink.



Now I do not recall there being anything in the :kjv1611: about this. And so the consequences were predictable.



Had Mr Wheeler paid more attention to the word of Our Lord, and less to made-up-stuff from the Boys' Own Burglarizing Manual, he might have spared himself some embarrassment.

OneFailure 08-15-2018 09:47 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
I honestly can't believe I fell for atheists lies once. They will never lead me astray again

Alan Swallows 08-18-2018 11:26 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
ARGUMENT FROM VERBOSITY: This is when atheists think they've won a debate because they've flooded you with more arguments than you can reasonably be expected to address, while simultaneously ignoring the evidence you've presented from the Bible, nature, creation science, flood geology, archaeology, church history, fulfilled prophecy, miracles, answered prayer and personal testimony.

Johny Joe Hold 08-18-2018 08:00 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Swallows (Post 1236921)
ARGUMENT FROM VERBOSITY: This is when atheists think they've won a debate because they've flooded you with more arguments than you can reasonably be expected to address, while simultaneously ignoring the evidence you've presented from the Bible, nature, creation science, flood geology, archaeology, church history, fulfilled prophecy, miracles, answered prayer and personal testimony.

Powerful, Brother Swallows, powerful. The Bible is God's Word. The atheists have no documentation to prove their claims. I don't want to be crude here, but there's a great saying about people like atheists, "They have $hit-for-brains." If they have a document written by God that says something different than the Bible, they should show us. If the don't they should just disappear.

Alan Swallows 08-19-2018 08:20 AM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1236951)
If they have a document written by God that says something different than the Bible, they should show us. If the don't they should just disappear.


So true, Mr Mayor. Another favorite of mine is the ON THE SPOT FALLACY, which is when an atheist thinks they've won a debate if a Christian can't come up with evidence to support their position or counter the atheist's argument. I mean, it's not like you can expect a Christian to have read every single scientific study ever published - or even one. Or to have a basic understanding of how evolutionism supposedly works. I mean, just because we don't know everything about science or philosophy doesn't mean we can't have an opinion. It's not like you have to have read every Superman comic to know that he's just make-believe nonsense. When debating with unbelievers, I like to stick with widely-known facts, like how the Grand Canyon proves Noah's flood happened, that way you can avoid this error.

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 08-19-2018 05:29 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Swallows (Post 1236984)
So true, Mr Mayor. Another favorite of mine is the ON THE SPOT FALLACY, which is when an atheist thinks they've won a debate if a Christian can't come up with evidence to support their position or counter the atheist's argument.

Unfortunately I see this more and more in political debates. The liberals always try and change the topic by introducing facts and figures and statistics and analysis. It's a form of distraction. Hold firm, smile politely and brush it off. For all her flaws, Betsy DeVos is a good model for this. Politics is about getting the Republican candidate into office and worrying about the details later. Our current President has shown over and over that you don't need a plan, you just need the best brain and the best people.

KillTheKing666 11-05-2018 11:09 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
piffle YOUR GOD!!!!!!!! SATAN WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

Gum goblin 04-22-2019 08:03 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 975586)
A fallacy is an error in reasoning or logic. Atheists frequently employ them to support or defend their position. Here are some common ones.

Genetic fallacy. This has nothing to do with genes. It is referring to genesis, or origins. It is the attempt to discredit a belief on the grounds that its origins are dubious. For example, an atheist might claim that religion developed as a means of explaining the world or as an evolutionary adaptation or for psychological or social advantages. But you can’t discredit a belief by discrediting its supposed origins. Besides, we know that belief in the God of the Bible was the original religion and atheism arose out of man’s desire to deny the truth of God’s existence (Rom 1:18). Therefore atheism can be flatly rejected.

Ad hominem. This involves personally attacking your opponent instead of bringing a reasoned argument against him. For example, an atheist might say, “Only gullible/ weak/ uneducated people believe in God.” Just remember that those who reject God are “filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful” (Rom 1:29-31).

Begging the question. Also known as circular reasoning. This is when a claim is assumed to be true without any evidence to support it other than the claim itself. For example, atheists presuppose that God doesn’t exist and then claim that all evidence supporting the existence of God must be flawed because He doesn’t exist. We, on the other hand, know that God exists because the Bible tells us so, and we know that the Bible is reliable because it tells us it is inspired by God.

If I were God, I would/ wouldn’t… I wasn’t sure what to call this one, so I made up a name for it. Perhaps someone else on this godly forum knows the proper name. This is when people try to disprove God’s existence by claiming that if they God they would do things differently. For example, Richard Dawkins claimed that if God were real, He would have created fewer species. People often say something like, “If I were God, I wouldn’t allow suffering in the world; therefore God doesn’t exist.” Just because you might do things differently if you were God doesn’t mean God doesn’t exist. Personally, I wouldn’t do anything differently if I were God. He is perfect.

Can anyone else think of other fallacies?

It’s idiotic to cite the Bible in an argument for religion against atheists.

Brother Gonzalez 04-22-2019 09:08 PM

Re: Atheist fallacies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gum goblin (Post 1250118)
It’s idiotic to cite the Bible in an argument for religion against atheists.

Who is more idiotic, the believer quoting the Bible in an argument against atheists, or the atheist not quoting the Bible against the believers?


I think the winner is the one not making even an argument on why is idiotic. Yes, the winner is the one sentence wonder who cannot even back his claims with a proper argument! Congrats!


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by Jesus - vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Landover Baptist Forums © 1620, 2018 all rights reserved