The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Bible in a Year (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Day 118. 1 Chronicles 26-29 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=7868)

Brother V 01-31-2008 07:58 PM

Day 118. 1 Chronicles 26-29

1 Chronicles 26-29

The end of First Chronicles. This book hasn't offered much enlightenment. It's mostly rehashes of the story of David; with a few extra bits tossed in that were left out of the Kings.

Some people believe that Chronicles is a complete time line up to the Babylonian Exile. Which is why it starts with Adam. Jewish tradition says the Ezra wrote the chronicles. Ezra was a Levite; so it would explain why there was such importance in the book having who all the Levites were, and what their roles were. (You really wouldn't expect a history of the tribe of the Levites to be written by a Napthalite, now would you?)

Today we get:
  • More Levites
  • Rulers of the tribes at the end of David's reign
  • The people give offerings
  • David hands over the country to Solomon

1 Chronicles 26

4 Moreover the sons of Obededom were, Shemaiah the firstborn, Jehozabad the second, Joah the third, and Sacar the fourth, and Nethaneel the fifth.

This is not the same Obededom who housed the ark, after Uzzah touched it.

26 Which Shelomith and his brethren were over all the treasures of the dedicated things, which David the king, and the chief fathers, the captains over thousands and hundreds, and the captains of the host, had dedicated.

After the people would come back from war, they'd give the best to the LORD. Shelomith (at the time) was the chief polisher.

28 And all that Samuel the seer, and Saul the son of Kish, and Abner the son of Ner, and Joab the son of Zeruiah, had dedicated; and whosoever had dedicated any thing, it was under the hand of Shelomith, and of his brethren.

So the main people who put up treasures were: Samuel, Saul, Abner, and Joab. A prophet, a king, and 2 top generals.

1 Chronicles 27

16 Furthermore over the tribes of Israel: the ruler of the Reubenites was Eliezer the son of Zichri: of the Simeonites, Shephatiah the son of Maachah:
The rulers of each tribe were:
1. Reuben; Eliezer
2. Simeon; Shephatiah

17 Of the Levites, Hashabiah the son of Kemuel: of the Aaronites, Zadok:

3. Levi; Hashabiah

18 Of Judah, Elihu, one of the brethren of David: of Issachar, Omri the son of Michael:

4. Judah; Elihu
5. Issachar; Omri

19 Of Zebulun, Ishmaiah the son of Obadiah: of Naphtali, Jerimoth the son of Azriel:

6. Zebulun; Ishmaiah
7. Naphtali; Jerimoth

20 Of the children of Ephraim, Hoshea the son of Azaziah: of the half tribe of Manasseh, Joel the son of Pedaiah:

8. Ephriam; Hoshea
9a. Manasseh; Joel

21 Of the half tribe of Manasseh in Gilead, Iddo the son of Zechariah: of Benjamin, Jaasiel the son of Abner:

9b. Manasseh; Iddo
10. Benjamin; Jaasiel

22 Of Dan, Azareel the son of Jeroham. These were the princes of the tribes of Israel.

11. Dan; Azareel

Once again; we are missing some.

Gad and Asher aren't listed. There are two leaders of Manasseh, a leader of Aaron; but not two of the offspring of Israel.

24 Joab the son of Zeruiah began to number, but he finished not, because there fell wrath for it against Israel; neither was the number put in the account of the chronicles of king David.

Well, not an exact number, but he did come up with a thousand thousand.

1 Chronicles 28

1 And David assembled all the princes of Israel, the princes of the tribes, and the captains of the companies that ministered to the king by course, and the captains over the thousands, and captains over the hundreds, and the stewards over all the substance and possession of the king, and of his sons, with the officers, and with the mighty men, and with all the valiant men, unto Jerusalem.

That's a really long way of saying: David brought all the leaders to Jerusalem.

2 Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:

David said "I wanted to make God a house; but he said no, cuz I was a Man of War; but He'll let my son."

5 And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.

I'm going to assume that this didn't go well with the leaders of Benjamin; who were still somewhat angry that Saul and his sons were no longer kings.

7 Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.

Solomon started to do it; but then... we can read about that later.

10 Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.

Chronicles makes a huge production of David wanting to build the house for the LORD, when in Samuel; it really wasn't that big a deal.

11 Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,

12 And the pattern of all that he had by the spirit, of the courts of the house of the LORD, and of all the chambers round about, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the treasuries of the dedicated things:

Ok, so David DID give Solomon the blueprints for the LORD's house. The only thing David didn't do was have the ground breaking ceremony. Everything right up to that seems to have been accomplished by David. Similar to Moses; he was able to guide the people (for 40 years) right up to the mouth of the Jordan river; but wasn't able to cross it. David had everything ready; but couldn't break ground.

14 He gave of gold by weight for things of gold, for all instruments of all manner of service; silver also for all instruments of silver by weight, for all instruments of every kind of service:

Remember, everything in the temple was colour coded. Gold stuff was the LORD's. Originally, silver was just a decorative device, and brass was for the people; but now it seems that most everything in the temple will be gold, with silver accents.

20 And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.

1 Chronicles 29

1 Furthermore David the king said unto all the congregation, Solomon my son, whom alone God hath chosen, is yet young and tender, and the work is great: for the palace is not for man, but for the LORD God.

David claims Solomon is young and tender (not moist and juicy). However, Solomon was born in 1000 BC, he became king in 971 BC, so he was roughly 29 when David is calling him a baby.

Also, tender... the only other person to be called tender (tender eyed) was Leah; one of the wives of Jacob (Israel); and she was possibly retarded.

3 Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house.

So all that Gold and Silver that was talked about recently, wasn't even from David's personal stash of gold and silver. But in addition to that massive haul of loot; David makes sure to say that he even gives some of his own; for the job. He's so great.

4 Even three thousand talents of gold, of the gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the houses withal:

David himself gave 3,000 talents of gold and 7,000 talents of silver. Ophir, there's that place again. The place that does or doesn't exist.

9 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.

David asks the people to give, and they happily gave. How many of you happily give. Do you rejoice when you give?

11 Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

David starts flattering God. He does that.

12 Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.

As Bono once said "the God I believe in isn't short of cash mister".

19 And give unto Solomon my son a perfect heart, to keep thy commandments, thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to do all these things, and to build the palace, for the which I have made provision.

At least David didn't just go around praising God; he at least did ask for something. How many of you just ask God for something, and don't bother to tell God how great He is.

21 And they sacrificed sacrifices unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings unto the LORD, on the morrow after that day, even a thousand bullocks, a thousand rams, and a thousand lambs, with their drink offerings, and sacrifices in abundance for all Israel:

1,000 bullocks; 1,000 rams; 1,000 lambs. That's a lot of killing.

22 And did eat and drink before the LORD on that day with great gladness. And they made Solomon the son of David king the second time, and anointed him unto the LORD to be the chief governor, and Zadok to be priest.

So, there was this huge feast for the preparation to build the temple; and during this feast, Solomon was named king.

Let's compare this to the story in 1 Kings 1. David was sick, so they got him a young girl to keep him warm. Then Adonijah held a feast and killed a bunch of stuff. Nathan (the prophet) calls Bathsheba (Solomon's mother) to tell her that with Adonijah as king, that they will both probably be killed (Adonijah took his own priest). Bathsheba goes in and talks to David, then Nathan follows. Then David sets Solomon on his mule, and he was annointed. Then Adonijah kind of disappears from the story.

So the 1 Chronicles 29 story is not really the same as the 1 Kings 1 story. Adonijah is left out. The ride on the donkey is left out. David isn't illin.

23 Then Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him.

All except your four fastest ships...

28 And he died in a good old age, full of days, riches, and honour: and Solomon his son reigned in his stead.

David died... :(

29 Now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the seer, and in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of Gad the seer,

Samuel, yes (wait, apparently not THAT book of Samuel)... Nathan nope, the jews lost that. Book of Gad, they lost that too.

So what have we learned today.

1. Surprisingly, there were several people named Obededom.
2. Gad is apparently the easiest of the tribes to forget. But then, that makes sense because the jews always seem to forget God, so forgetting Gad isn't that much of a stretch.
3. Chronicles leaves out the story of Absalom and the story of Adonijah. Two of David's sons from his first wife. The two who tried to be kings.

YIC
V