The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   The Freehold Truth and Light Baptist newspaper (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pastor Persecuted Because Jesus Provides a Modest House (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=93943)

Pastor Ezekiel 10-27-2013 11:28 PM

Pastor Persecuted Because Jesus Provides a Modest House

THIS story concerned me because Pastor Steven Furtick is a close personal friend of mine, and because it is wrong to persecute a Man of God. Just because Jesus provides Pastor Furtick with a modest home (9,000 square feet in nothing. My estate is 32,000 square feet!), it doesn't follow that anything illegal or immoral has occurred.

Quote:

Pastor responds to critics of his $1.7M home

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Four days after the NBC Charlotte I-Team broke the story that the pastor of North Carolina’s largest mega church is building a 16,000 square foot home, Pastor Steven Furtick addressed his congregation saying, “I don’t call this an attack. I don’t.”

Furtick spent about eight minutes before his 5 p.m. Saturday sermon stepping down from the pulpit and addressing the congregation directly, saying he was sorry if the house and surrounding questions caused them, the congregation, to have difficult conversations with co-workers, friends and neighbors.

“Having to have those conversations – that really bothered me. And it made me sad and I am sorry that you had to have those conversations this week,” Furtick said, sitting on the edge of the stage.

Then the audience at the Blakeney location of Elevation Church gave him a standing ovation on camera.

Furtick had referred to the house in a sermon last month as “not that great”, but he delivered Saturday’s message with a distinctly different tone.

“Holly and I made a decision to build a house. It’s a big house. It’s a beautiful house. It’s 8,400 square feet of heated living area to be exact. That’s a big house; no doubt about it,” he said.

Furtick told his followers they could always have copies of audited financial statements of the church but he has yet to make those statements public.

“I have always promised this ministry would be a ministry of integrity,” Furtick said.

And while he once said reporters were trying to make Elevation Church look bad, he now says the news media has every right to ask questions.

“This is a news story and the media is not our enemy,” he told the congregation.

“They have the right to run any story they choose to run and people have the right to have any opinion they choose to have. That’s OK.”

He concluded with a promise that he had no plans to go away. “For the next 50 years we plan on being right here,” he said.

Furtick has refused to answer questions about his salary, his tax-free housing allowance, how much he makes from books and speaking fees promoted by the tax exempt church, and how Elevation Church is governed – which is not by an elected group of elders made up of church members but an appointed “Board of Overseers” made up entirely of other mega church pastors.
Including yours truly. :gleam:

Alvin Moss 10-27-2013 11:50 PM

Re: Pastor Persecuted Because Jesus Provides a Modest House

Charlotte is located in God's country and among His people. It is the only city in America that has more churches than fast food restaurants. Christians hold sway there, though there are many backsliders who favor drinking strong whiskey.

For some reason, the TV news there likes to make a sport of hounding Christian pastors about their housing needs. They did the same thing to the Reverend Jim Bakker some years back. They used to fly over his house up there on Lake Norman in a helicopter and take pictures. They were especially critical of his doghouse, which was evidently costly.

There is no reason to stir up public opinion over the size of a man's house. That pastor probably has all kinds of visiting dignitaries who need to be put up in style. I think this is just another example of the bias in the devilish liberal news media.

James Hutchins 10-28-2013 12:14 AM

I'd like to add, the Pastor Furtick is not using restricted Mongolian Oak harvest hardwoods nor have I transported the materials to or from Lumber Liquidators in VA in any of my trucks. All vicious lies by that catlick bishop Tebartz-van Elst in germany.

I'd like to suggest we set up an account to assist the modest Pastor in thwarting these accussations.

Johny Joe Hold 10-28-2013 12:25 AM

Where do these congregation members get this notion they have some right to see audits and learn how the church is governed? They are suppose to tithe then step back and let Jesus go to work.

Pricey houses for pastors are a gift from God. They are not any business of the news media, tithers and anyone else.

Zechariah Smyth 10-28-2013 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good grief, the guy has THREE KIDS: do people expect him to live in a tool shed?

:wacko:

Besides, I'm sure that if anyone in his congregation needs a place to stay for the night he will open wide the doors and let them in.

Attachment 22134

I say God bless this man for building a house big enough so that he can help people in need.

Attachment 22135

:thumbsup:

YiC,

Zech

Didymus Much 10-28-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zechariah Smyth (Post 1037221)

Nice tie. I'd wondered what happened to my aunt's couch. :thumbdown:

Attila's Wife 10-28-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Furtick has refused to answer questions about his salary, his tax-free housing allowance, how much he makes from books and speaking fees promoted by the tax exempt church
Quite right too!

I wouldn't tell them my income - that's private information, between me, Pastor Zeke and the tithing committee. What is it with the commie media that they think they have the right to ask personal questions like this, and of a man of God too? How DARE they? :angry:

Johny Joe Hold 10-28-2013 04:50 PM

It just makes you sick to see clergy of any stripe being singled out for criticism just because they want a comfortable house. Even the Pope is now playing this silly game.

I say, "Mr. Pope, mind your own business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=religion

Basilissa 10-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1037304)
It just makes you sick to see clergy of any stripe being singled out for criticism just because they want a comfortable house. Even the Pope is now playing this silly game.

I say, "Mr. Pope, mind your own business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=religion

Amen, Mr. Mayor!

Frankly, I don't get what all this fuss is about. It's not like the house of this pastor is unreasonably large or anything like that. It seems average-sized to me!

Johny Joe Hold 10-28-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1037312)
Amen, Mr. Mayor!

Frankly, I don't get what all this fuss is about. It's not like the house of this pastor is unreasonably large or anything like that. It seems average-sized to me!

Thank you, Basillissa.

The question that has to be faced by we religious communities all around the world and in every demonination is this: Do we want our clergy living in Gypsy trailer houses or something a little better?

Basilissa 10-28-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1037316)
Thank you, Basillissa.

The question that has to be faced by we religious communities all around the world and in every demonination is this: Do we want our clergy living in Gypsy trailer houses or something a little better?

Exactly. Also, the shepherd should live in comparable conditions as his herd, and everybody knows that True Christians™ are blessed by God financially (Deuteronomy 28:11-14, Proverbs 10:22, 1 Philippians 4:19).

James Hutchins 10-31-2013 08:26 PM

I have to wonder, do people reailze that a heated/cooled garage space is INCLUDED in that number. When you add it a typical six spot garage (20 X 90), the house is really little more than a kitchen, bathroom, a few small bedrooms and sanctuary.

krunsch 11-03-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 1037195)
THIS story concerned me because Pastor Steven Furtick is a close personal friend of mine, and because it is wrong to persecute a Man of God. Just because Jesus provides Pastor Furtick with a modest home (9,000 square feet in nothing. My estate is 32,000 square feet!), it doesn't follow that anything illegal or immoral has occurred.

Including yours truly. :gleam:

Ah, that's why people hate you church guys. Instead of spending donations on feeding the poor, you misuse the money to indulge yourself. This whatever guy has done it, you have done it and in Germany, bishop Tebartz-van-Elst is under investigation because his new home costs 30 million Euros (which is currently 40 million Dollars).

A good reason never to tithe. You don't collect for god, you abuse his name to collect for yourself. And since you cost more than 30 receivers of lifelong welfare benefits, in my eyes, you are trash, filth, the pickle at the world's butt. aCtually, that's much too good. The pickle is worth more than you, filthy piece of garbage. Go out there and try actually making a living by actually contributing to society instead being a foul, smelly leech.

Johny Joe Hold 11-03-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunsch (Post 1038679)
Ah, that's why people hate you church guys. Instead of spending donations on feeding the poor, you misuse the money to indulge yourself. This whatever guy has done it, you have done it and in Germany, bishop Tebartz-van-Elst is under investigation because his new home costs 30 million Euros (which is currently 40 million Dollars).

A good reason never to tithe. You don't collect for god, you abuse his name to collect for yourself.

Some people just don't get it. Pastor Zeke, Bishop Tebartz-van-Elst and Pastor Furtick get criticized for wanting a roof over their heads. Tell me, Krunsch, do you live in a tent?

I see no reason why it is anyone else's business what our clergy spend our tithe money to buy. Does it say in the Bible, "Those who tithe should get there noses out of joint because their holy men buy themselves a decent house?" Certainly not.

Krunsch--you should spend more time reading the Bible and less poking you nose into issues that are none of your business.

Ezekiel Bathfire 11-03-2013 04:47 PM

I am absolutely sure that :jesus-fancy: wants us all to have big houses. Big houses are Holy. Why else would Zeke or anyone else have them?

Joh:14:2: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Properly read and understood, :jesus-fancy: is saying, ":god-fancy: has hundreds of big houses. I'm off to set one up for you."

Now, why would Jesus say that if He didn't think that big houses were good?

And remember, "The closer you are to :god-fancy:, the more chance you have of having a big house." It's simple. :thumbsup:

krunsch 11-03-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Joe Hold (Post 1038723)
Some people just don't get it. Pastor Zeke, Bishop Tebartz-van-Elst and Pastor Furtick get criticized for wanting a roof over their heads. Tell me, Krunsch, do you live in a tent?

I see no reason why it is anyone else's business what our clergy spend our tithe money to buy. Does it say in the Bible, "Those who tithe should get there noses out of joint because their holy men buy themselves a decent house?" Certainly not.

Krunsch--you should spend more time reading the Bible and less poking you nose into issues that are none of your business.

Nope, you don't get it. A holy man may have house, but not spend other people's money that was entrusted to him feeding the hungry and protecting those that need it, on a luxury residence that costs 60 times as much as other people make in a LIFETIME!!! If he wants it so badly, fine he may go fo it, but in this case he better get a job and EARN a house, just like everybody else has to do instead of being parasitic leech. I guess Stalin got one thing right when he persecuted the clergy.

Didymus Much 11-03-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunsch (Post 1038729)
...I guess Stalin got one thing right when he persecuted the clergy.

Says the hypocrite, cherishing his own RIGHTS to freedom of thought, religion, and conscience (purchased by the blood and sacrifice of millions of others) while denying them to anyone who happens to be Christian.

You make me sick.

krunsch 11-03-2013 06:55 PM

This is not about freedom of speech, this is about property rights. In my opinion, any organization whose members do such abdominable and corrupt stuff as the aforementioned pastors deserve to have their church status withdrawn as they are clearly profitoriented secular organizations and not heavenly ones. And then again the question arises who is such a retarded dumbass to become a member and pay when they offer virtually nothing in return.

Alphonse Alban 11-03-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1038745)
Says the hypocrite, cherishing his own RIGHTS to freedom of thought, religion, and conscience (purchased by the blood and sacrifice of millions of others) while denying them to anyone who happens to be Christian.

You make me sick.

Not to mention that Stalin used the money he took from his people to fund his palaces, banquets and all in all lavish lifestyle to separate him from the common people. Great example indeed.

Basilissa 11-03-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunsch (Post 1038749)
This is not about freedom of speech, this is about property rights. In my opinion, any organization whose members do such abdominable and corrupt stuff as the aforementioned pastors deserve to have their church status withdrawn as they are clearly profitoriented secular organizations and not heavenly ones. And then again the question arises who is such a retarded dumbass to become a member and pay when they offer virtually nothing in return.

I don't know why I keep doing this, but I still pray for you, you ungrateful little twerp. How can you insult our great Church and our wonderful pastors, I just don't get it.