The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Focus on Family - Christian Parenting (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Christian Domestic Discipline: Should The Husband Discipline His Wife In front of the Kids? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=110329)

Sword Of Christ 10-29-2016 08:26 AM

Christian Domestic Discipline: Should The Husband Discipline His Wife In front of the Kids?

When my mom would get out of line especially when "Aunt Flo" would show up my dad would get really annoyed with her. He'd have to smack her around a little bit to get her to straighten out and fly right.

Sometimes he'd send her to the guest room and take care of business.

My question is, when the husband is placed in the position when he has to apply corporal punishment to an unruly wife should he do it in front of the kids?

handmaiden 10-29-2016 06:02 PM

Re: Christian Domestic Discipline: Should The Husband Discipline His Wife In front of the Kids?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sword Of Christ (Post 1192513)
When my mom would get out of line especially when "Aunt Flo" would show up my dad would get really annoyed with her. He'd have to smack her around a little bit to get her to straighten out and fly right.

Sometimes he'd send her to the guest room and take care of business.

My question is, when the husband is placed in the position when he has to apply corporal punishment to an unruly wife should he do it in front of the kids?

I think that the children can learn a great deal from witnessing this sort of behavior. They will learn basic methodology, of course, as in how hard to hit, how many blows to land, and the proper prayerful attitude to assume before administering the discipline.

The absolutely best way to go about it, though, is the open the Bible immediately afterwards and highlight the appropriate passages so the children understand the spiritual justification for the father's actions. You can't get more Christian than that.

Plainly Yours,
Handmaiden

Alvin Moss 10-29-2016 07:01 PM

Re: Christian Domestic Discipline: Should The Husband Discipline His Wife In front of the Kids?

I agree that the children must witness everything that is part of family life. It is the job of the parents to raise up responsible citizens and teach the youth the things they need to know. It may be a small detail, but I believe it is important to know such things as when to apply discipline, what discipline is appropriate, how many blows for what offense and what instruments may be used. Should a club be used, or is a belt sufficient? These details are taught through observation, much as language, gestures and so on.

Anne Sayne 10-30-2016 12:53 AM

It's great to do it in front of the kids. It will teach the boys what to do when they're wives act up in the future, and the girls will learn lessons on husband submission.

Sword Of Christ 10-30-2016 09:22 AM

I felt that he did the right thing at the time.

My father believes that women should not wear slacks because slack can stimulate their female parts so mom never wore anything but a skirt or a dress. Often he'd raise her dress and take a belt to her legs and sometimes the cord from the coffee percolator.

He left many a welt on her.

Anne Sayne 10-30-2016 05:18 PM

Women shouldn't wear pants, as said in Deuteronomy 22:5

KarenKraft 10-30-2016 09:25 PM

I'm a bit surprised by the question! Not only is it important for the children to learn the fundamentals of spousal discipline, but more important is the way that this kind of instructional love is administered. See, kids may mistakenly see such a thrashing as an act of violence. This is particularly true if correction is done behind closed doors, as though it is shameful or unclean. It is the exact opposite, of course.

There is nothing wrong with physical suffering being visited upon a deserving wife. But the good husband must moderate his instruction to inflict righteous pain but not damage or impair the woman's ability to attend to her daily chores. That would be counter productive and would teach the sons in the family to waste valuable assets.

Remember: Our Lord suffered to save us all. Just as His suffering was a glorious and valuable tool for our Redemption, so too a wife's suffering can be an agent for positive growth and development of a Good Family in Christ.

On a personal note, I do not enjoy pain. When I scald myself boiling the clothes or if a spark from the stove lands on my skin, I cry out and wish it never happened.

But when my late husband, who is now with Christ, used to whip me, it made me feel exhausted, even rapturous. The harder the strokes the more I knew he loved me and wanted me to be a Better Wife. He never hid the practice from our children. Why should he? Indeed, he would gather us all together and ask the youngest present to do the counting of the strokes. So, it was a learning experience for everyone. He helped my daughters the same way. That's important.

As the practice was normally done while the recipient of the instruction was wearing no attire, it afforded an opportunity for the whole family to see the various stages of physical development. Just before his passing, my husband allowed our oldest son to administer seven strokes to me. At first he was ambivalent but by stroke three and four, his hand was just as strong as my husband's.

Also, the Good Husband can demonstrate which parts of the body ought not be touched by the instrument. His favorite instrument was one he and the boys made in his workshop. It was a loop-whip made of coated wire. The handle was an old tennis racquet. He would explain to the boys that the parts of the female body that eat or process food and drink are off limits, as were my breasts during breast feeding months.

Out oldest girl, our precious princess, was always in charge of hooking and then unhooking my handcuffs to the ceiling hook. She loved this almost as much as she loved to put the star on the top of the tree at Christmas time. She will made some man a very loving and obedient wife! Being borderline anorexic, she's not expensive to feed as well. A real bargain, that girl is.

Never forget that the Good Teachings of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ are words and thoughts to live by, but it was His Suffering that Saved us!

My son told his father that he really enjoyed "using the wire on Mom, particularly her front part," and wanted to know if he could do it after church the following Sunday. My Good Husband reminded him not to take pleasure in the infliction of suffering upon others and that using the wire would only be appropriate if I had broken a family rule of some kind. Otherwise, we must never punish the innocent. But he assured the boy he had first dibs the next time the need arose. Education is so important!

Proverbs17:26 To punish the just is not good.

KarenKraft 10-30-2016 09:53 PM

I posted a reply, could not find the edit button to fix spelling errors, was told that it was too boring to read so it was (in under five minutes, deleted, and now I can't find the terminate my membership button.

Bye.

Y'all enjoy your site. LOL

KarenKraft 10-30-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenKraft (Post 1192789)
I posted a reply, could not find the edit button to fix spelling errors, was told that it was too boring to read so it was (in under five minutes), deleted, and now I can't find the button to terminate my membership / account / whatever.

So now the question is: How do I cancel my membership? I see nothing indicating that.

Mary Etheldreda 10-30-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenKraft (Post 1192791)
So now the question is: How do I cancel my membership? I see nothing indicating that.

I am confused, dear. I thought you wrote an interesting reply to an interesting question, but it appears you didn't get all the pomp and circumstance you had expected. Now it appears as if you want to take your toys and leave our humble little sandbox, as the kids say. I can't imagine why. If your intent is to fellowship with us, then by all means, you are welcome to do so! We wish nothing more than to welcome you to the chorus of Brothers and Sisters who sing the praises of Jesus and share the Good News that He will send all sinners and unbelievers to Hell for all eternity!

Basilissa 10-30-2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenKraft (Post 1192789)
I posted a reply, could not find the edit button to fix spelling errors, was told that it was too boring to read so it was (in under five minutes, deleted, and now I can't find the terminate my membership button.

Bye.

I deeply apologize for being so unresponsive to your clearly very important needs. :sarcasm:

You see, dear, there is one thing lacking in your boring lengthy post: Scripture.

There are so many beautiful verses which could and should be mentioned in a discussion such as this, for example:

Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Praise :jesus-fancy: for giving us such detailed instructions on how to live!

:kjv1611-read:

handmaiden 10-30-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenKraft (Post 1192785)

As the practice was normally done while the recipient of the instruction was wearing no attire, it afforded an opportunity for the whole family to see the various stages of physical development. Just before his passing, my husband allowed our oldest son to administer seven strokes to me. At first he was ambivalent but by stroke three and four, his hand was just as strong as my husband's. . . . Husband can demonstrate which parts of the body ought not be touched by the instrument. . . He would explain to the boys that the parts of the female body that eat or process food and drink are off limits, as were my breasts during breast feeding months. . . My son told his father that he really enjoyed "using the wire on Mom, particularly her front part," and wanted to know if he could do it after church the following Sunday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1192802)

You see, dear, there is one thing lacking in your boring lengthy post: Scripture.

There are so many beautiful verses which could and should be mentioned in a discussion such as this, for example:

Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Praise :jesus-fancy: for giving us such detailed instructions on how to live!

:kjv1611-read:

As usual, you have the right of it, Sister Basilissa. It just seems sad that this woman's husband, who displays at least some sense of responsibility vis a vis the issue of family discipline, doesn't seemed to have found time to impart very much Scriptural knowledge to his household.

One strong indication of a lack of regard for Biblical injunction relates to the sections of the woman's post which I have bolded. It is clear from her narrative that the entire family saw their mother in a state of undress. This is in direct disobedience to God's Word in Leviticus, chapter 18, verse 7.

The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

Indeed, there are are slew of verses in that particular chapter that make it very clear that family members are NOT supposed to see each other au natural. Countless Bible verses support the value of corporal punishment, but nudity is just not on!

Another matter of concern is allowing a son to beat his mother. There are no Bible verses to support this disturbing behavior. It's wrong for the father to shirk his own responsibilities in such a way. Furthermore, the boy needs to understand that he must wait until such time as he has his own wife before being afforded such authority.

Frankly, this family sounds like the sort of false Christians who give Jesus a bad name.

Wholesomely Yours,

Handmaiden

Sword Of Christ 10-31-2016 01:47 AM

Luke 12:47 And that servant [slave], which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes."

Since the husband is head of the wife like Christ is the head of the church and just as the church is there to serve God the wife is there to serve the husband. The wife is a slave to the husband.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is head of the wife even as Christ is head of the church:

1 Timothy 5:3 For if a man know not how to rule his one house, how shall he take care of the church of God?

Some women know their place and others don't. I've also heard it said that wild colts make the best horses. Perhaps when I select my wife I should select a spirited and willful one and beat her into submission and use her strong will to work for our Lord?

As much as I hate them, the Mooselimbs do know how to treat their wives.

Nobar King 10-31-2016 11:20 AM

Is this to discipline going to be done while naked? If so, then it should be only done in front of age-appropriate children.

Brother Gonzalez 10-31-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1192814)
The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

Oh please! I'm still paying for my ancestor Ham seeing Noah naked! Thousands of years later, I still have to serve white people forever because this happened once!

Have this people not yet realized that the wrath of God is REAL, and everlasting?

And they call themselves Christians?

As for the original topic, the Bible is very flexible in HOW to discipline your family. If is not forbidden, it is permited, so you can discipline your wife in front of the family, the neighbors, or in live TV. JUST NOT NAKED IN FRONT OF THE KIDS.

But be aware that in some places, to discipline your wife with physical force is against secular law. And we have to obey the law. So you have to do it without leaving any mark that can be traced by criminal police, and in a manner that a jury of your peers cannot find you guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.

I guess the best place to discipline your wife would be the middle east. No one is going around asking questions if your wife is black and blue all over.

screw_god 11-01-2016 05:38 AM

Or you know , you could be a normal and civil human who rather then using physical punishment to "teach a leason" you could simply tell the lady that you did not like what she did. If you get mad then you dont have your wife "discipline" you. The answer is no of course not. Your wife should be someone you love and admie not some burdening breading sack. Treat others as you want to be treated is a common thing i hear said. So no dont harm your wife ever! Unless you are in the mountains and your wife gets her arm stuck. Then you may have to amputate.

Anne Sayne 11-01-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screw_god (Post 1193100)
Or you know , you could be a normal and civil human who rather then using physical punishment to "teach a leason" you could simply tell the lady that you did not like what she did. If you get mad then you dont have your wife "discipline" you. The answer is no of course not. Your wife should be someone you love and admie not some burdening breading sack. Treat others as you want to be treated is a common thing i hear said. So no dont harm your wife ever! Unless you are in the mountains and your wife gets her arm stuck. Then you may have to amputate.

The Bible says otherwise, heathen.

Brother Gonzalez 11-02-2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screw_god (Post 1193100)

Well, if you do that, you will be a civil person. I can understand that you can succumb to peer pressure. That happens.

But be not fooled: you will not enter Heaven if you behave in such manner. Let's see:

Proverbs 13:24 - He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 23:13 - Withhold not correction from the child: for [if] thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Ephesians 5:22 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Colossians 3:18 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:3 - But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God.

As you can see, it is not a loose verse on some part of the Bible, but a central concept: the man is the head of the house and should discipline the family into Godly ways. It is explicit about the use of violence.

So you have to choose: being a Christian and go to heaven or being a nice person, a beloved member of the liberal community and go to hell along with your dear family.

It is your choice, after all.

southerngirl97 12-10-2016 08:31 AM

Speaking from a childs (19) point of view I think it is important. Seeing my mother punished has made me a better girl as I have learnt what it correct behavior.

He has always punished the women in the household in front of everyone. My 2 brother if they are to receive punishment do so if the private of his study

handmaiden 12-10-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southerngirl97 (Post 1197293)
Speaking from a childs (19) point of view I think it is important. Seeing my mother punished has made me a better girl as I have learnt what it correct behavior.

He has always punished the women in the household in front of everyone. My 2 brother if they are to receive punishment do so if the private of his study

Perhaps if your teachers in school were permitted to apply similar disciplinary methods you might have developed a better grasp of written communication.

Admonishingly Yours,

Handmaiden