The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Promise Enforcers - Men Only! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Existential crisis - am I not essential? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=117450)

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 03-20-2020 06:56 AM

Existential crisis - am I not essential?

For years now I've watched Fox News and have been told I belong to the most important job-creator class. However nobody actually needs me for anything. Yes, I take my 15% from the business my father created, which takes some effort but not much. One or two days a month. I could delegate calculating my cut to the staff but I haven't gotten round to doing it after the old man passed. I don't know why I am still reluctant after 15 years. The work is delegated and the management is delegated, but that last thing... I sometimes wonder what my purpose will be after that. Does Jesus have advice for people in my position? He always gives advice to losers, but never successful people. Did He take private clients? Can we purchase the transcripts?

Ezekiel Bathfire 03-20-2020 10:13 AM

Re: Existential crisis - am I not essential?

Jesus always has advice for anyone in any situation. Your situation is basically that of Jesus. He too entered this Earth as the Son of the Founder: everything He (or you or I) could want was provided. Houses, water, crops, sheep, fish, roads, a police force in the form of Roman soldiers, a justice system, a universal health service in the form of amulets, charms and prayers, a currency backed by gold, etc, etc. All these were the work of His Father (Which art in Heaven.)

Like you, each child enters this world in much the same way as Jesus and he follows the way of his father – he does his father’s will. Now you will note that this would require you to know what your father wants… but he is dead, so he’s not going to say much - Ec:9:5: For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten..

However, Jesus was not in direct contact with His Father either. We see throughout the Bible that Jesus, when talking about what God wants, says such things as “Is it not written…?” (Joh:10:34: Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?) or "It is written..." (M't:21:13: And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.) or “Do not men <insert something men do>?”(M't:23:3: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.) He never says “My Dad told me this”, or “My Dad said that”.

Even in His final hours, he prayed to His Father – but His father’s reply is not recorded – God The Father was giving Jesus the “full mortal treatment” by hearing Him but not replying: (M't:27:46: And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?)

Like your life, Jesus’s life was one of recalling what His Father In Heaven had told other people and Jesus had overheard all this during their life together in Heaven. Joh:8:28: Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Jesus was fortunate in that it was all written down in the Old Testament. But I’m sure your father – who art probably in heaven – left a few words written down. I suggest that, after checking those words against scripture, you simply follow these words and any words you remember him saying.

I am sure that if Jesus could remember enough to save the world, you will remember enough to run a business that is not quoted on the NASDAQ. This will give your life further purpose beyond the primary purpose, which is, as always, praising God..

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 03-31-2020 06:09 PM

It's starting to tick me off all this attention on so-called "essential" people working in grocery stores, driving buses, cleaning. These are not essential people - from the looks of them, they are poor and probably welfare cheats. How am I supposed to feel lying here on my couch eating pizza and opening my first can of beer at 11am on a Tuesday with the propaganda on TV constantly blaring on about these low-life takers. Apart from $2.2T to prop up share prices, what has been done for people like me? Where's my TV message from the President? Remind me, when things get back to normal, to gut social security. #Vote2020

handmaiden 03-31-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony J. Toole (Post 1266774)
It's starting to tick me off all this attention on so-called "essential" people working in grocery stores, driving buses, cleaning. These are not essential people - from the looks of them, they are poor and probably welfare cheats. How am I supposed to feel lying here on my couch eating pizza and opening my first can of beer at 11am on a Tuesday with the propaganda on TV constantly blaring on about these low-life takers. Apart from $2.2T to prop up share prices, what has been done for people like me? Where's my TV message from the President? Remind me, when things get back to normal, to gut social security. #Vote2020

Oh, Dr. Toole, just because the media says those people are "essential" it doesn't mean that God thinks so.

Doctors are essential to unbelievers because they are afraid to die and face Hell. As a fine, upstanding, True Christian™ gentleman, you are far more essential as an example of a Saved © person who can point the way for others.

All I can think of right now is that God's judgment is not as the world's. What they believe is essential is inconsequential to Jesus.

In Christ's :wub:

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 03-31-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1266777)
All I can think of right now is that God's judgment is not as the world's. What they believe is essential is inconsequential to Jesus.

In Christ's :wub:

Thank you, Ma'am. You're right - eyes on the prize. All these good deeds by unbelievers are as worthless as rags.

Isaiah 64:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 03-31-2020 08:05 PM

Brother Dr. Toole, I can only reiterate Sister Handmaiden's warm, affectionate words. You, personally, are every bit as essential to Jesus as you are to your True Christian™ Brethren and Sistren here at Landover. As for the rest - well, who cares?

As my dear husband says to me, always remember Luke 12:7 - But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Basilissa 03-31-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony J. Toole (Post 1266774)

I believe it's the other way, Dr. Toole. The essential people like you, CEO's, important businessmen are told to stay at home because they are essential. The non-essential people, such as store clerks, secretaries, and such, are told to keep showing up for work because they are basically expendable. So what if hundreds of them get sick or even die? There are thousands of hundreds of candidates waiting to fill the same menial jobs! :D

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 04-02-2020 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1266795)
The non-essential people, such as store clerks, secretaries, and such, are told to keep showing up for work because they are basically expendable. So what if hundreds of them get sick or even die? There are thousands of hundreds of candidates waiting to fill the same menial jobs! :D

Ma'am, this is proof the liberal mainstream media is using double speak when praising front line (expendable) workers. I am concerned that more and more of them are using masks to cover their faces - I feel this is like Sharia Law by the back door. Where are the police? Where are the military? They should be cracking down hard. The only way to stop a bad front line worker is with a good front line worker - let them all die and Jesus can sort it out. And lower taxes :thumbsup:

VictoryOS 04-02-2020 01:51 AM

According to the LIEberal lamestream media, essential employees are the degenerate drug users flipping our burgers and asking if we want fries with that. If they're so essential, then why are they only paid minimum wage? This is the USA where you know your worth by how much you're paid.

handmaiden 04-02-2020 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoryOS (Post 1266865)
According to the LIEberal lamestream media, essential employees are the degenerate drug users flipping our burgers and asking if we want fries with that. If they're so essential, then why are they only paid minimum wage? This is the USA where you know your worth by how much you're paid.

Preach!

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 04-02-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoryOS (Post 1266865)
If they're so essential, then why are they only paid minimum wage? This is the USA where you know your worth by how much you're paid.

Glory! I think it's time for these "essential" people remember the difference between essential and irreplaceable. Oh dear, did the masks run out? The President is busy negotiating a better deal for them - on your behalf - perhaps your can stuff rags in you mouth? And while you're at it, put this ad up your for a new hire doing your job. Don't like it? Aw cute.