The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   MEET CHRISTIAN SINGLES! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How couples meet, 1940 VS today (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=116575)

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 07-12-2019 09:35 PM

How couples meet, 1940 VS today

https://www.landoverbaptist.net/pict...&pictureid=675

1. I'm a bit confused by "family", does this refer to incest, or just arranged marriage?

2. Surprised to find "had no cash to pay pizza delivery guy" and similar situations is not significant enough to be on the chart. It seems movies have lied to us about this.

3. What's with the bar scene suddenly becoming more effective? Is it all those new date rape drugs?

4. This whole thing is misleading because there are more singles/virgins/shut-ins than ever before, but they aren't counted. Some of the things that appear to be increasing might actually not be. They could fix this by adding "bought her from wifu-pillow.com" to the chart.

Johny Joe Hold 07-12-2019 10:02 PM

Re: How couples meet, 1940 VS today

This is, indeed, a sad commentary on life outside of Freehold. The green line, "met in church" is low and going lower. Really, the only safe place to meet a genuine Christian is in church. We have a few single members at Landover Baptist. Hint, hint.

ingoodposs 08-03-2021 06:54 AM

I am a Catholic good Christian priest, and I met my life partner in my diocese in the late 20's. He was one of my altar boys and it was instant love at first sight. My Bishop helped us cover our wonderful relationship until he was 18 and now we are happily married (in Argentina) and I can carry on my work here in the U.S. Bless Jesus!

handmaiden 08-03-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingoodposs (Post 1287650)
I am a Catholic good Christian priest, and I met my life partner in my diocese in the late 20's. He was one of my altar boys and it was instant love at first sight. My Bishop helped us cover our wonderful relationship until he was 18 and now we are happily married (in Argentina) and I can carry on my work here in the U.S. Bless Jesus!

Catholic? Yes. Christian? No. Good? Not a chance.

Isabella White 08-03-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingoodposs (Post 1287650)

Catholic priest + altar boys + unsavory shenanigans = ETERNITY IN :hell-2:.

Really — you should know better; yet, you continue to celebrate sin!

Hebrews 10:26,27:
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

:repent: :repent: :repent:

Nobar King 08-04-2021 08:26 PM

I have met a lot of women during the China Flu. When women see you without a mask they automatically know you are strong and can be trusted. You need to get out and talk to people. Not the ones hiding inside; they're the ones dating online and playing video games together.

Send PM if you want to know more.

James Hutchins 09-08-2021 07:24 PM

I seem to recall I met my wife, Mrs. Hutchins at Church. We were introduced by the Pastor. She had wide hips and a full bosom, good for birthing.
It is funny, I can never remember what her first name was, though she responded to 'Woman!!!' She bore me many sons and unfortunately a few daughters. A few were born dead and we put them in mason jars, setting them on the mantle as a reminder of her failures. God took her a few years back, I believe.

WWJDnow 09-10-2021 04:53 AM

There really are only two proper ways for a man to meet his future wife--to meet her at church, then arrange the marriage with her father, or to rape her, in which case the Bible tells us that asking the father is no longer required:

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. -- Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Of course, rape is a kind of fornication, and the Bible forbids fornication, so we don't recommend this method. Which is why all girls and young women need to dress modestly, lest they tempt some man into sin.

This is as true today as it was in 1940, 1840, and any other year you can think of that ends in 40 since the time of Christ Jesus.

Jimmy Kate Dumbardo 09-20-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWJDnow (Post 1289127)
or to rape her, in which case the Bible tells us that asking the father is no longer required:

This is actually a good idea. I'm really defenseless and anything can happen. Not to mention, my pa's slow with paperwork, so ...

Dennis Lukes 09-20-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaf Kate (Post 1289531)
This is actually a good idea. I'm really defenseless and anything can happen. Not to mention, my pa's slow with paperwork, so ...

Checkmate feminists. Women DO ask for it all the time. A fair number of women on Tinder and Bumble asking to be choked too, or so I've heard from non-Christians who use those kind of apps. Kate, what you need to do is keep going to church with your parents and attend sanctioned events held by your congregation. Eventually, once all the other girls have been picked, some young man will have no choice but to ask your father for your hand in marriage. I'm thinking that a blind man for Deaf Kate would be a match made in Heaven.

Jimmy Kate Dumbardo 09-20-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Lukes (Post 1289532)
I'm thinking that a blind man for Deaf Kate would be a match made in Heaven.

I totally agree. That way when I fart in public, he won't know it was really me.

The Attention Seeker Jen 12-03-2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Lukes (Post 1289532)
Checkmate feminists. Women DO ask for it all the time.

Yeah, we ask for respect and attention, if that's what you mean. Have you heard the saying, earn a woman's trust and she will give you her heart? That and buttered croissants. I also like to pop a bit of gouda and pecan in my batch, and so far, no complaints from the gentlemen!

MitzaLizalor 12-04-2021 02:06 PM

I don't know why croissants would need butter. They're 90% butter already. Have you tried juniper berries?
https://www.lowlander-beer.com/wp-co...19-300x234.png

Dennis Lukes 12-04-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Attention Seeker Jen (Post 1291830)
I also like to pop a bit of gouda and pecan in my batch, and so far, no complaints from the gentlemen!

:seestars::icon8::blech:

We don't need to hear what sick acts you get up to in your bedroom, fattyboy!

The Attention Seeker Jen 12-04-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1291893)
I don't know why croissants would need butter. They're 90% butter already. Have you tried juniper berries?
https://www.lowlander-beer.com/wp-co...19-300x234.png

There's no such thing as too much butter. Just ask Paula Deen.

Basilissa 12-04-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1291893)

They do make a great drink (nalewka in a certain barbarian dialect) which is said to have medicinal properties. (Drinking it certainly makes one feel better, which is the basic tenet of medicine).

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried juniper berries
2 cups vodka
2 tbsp honey

Preparation:
Crush berries and add vodka. Leave about 6 weeks in a dark, dry, cool environment.
Then add honey, mix and leave for another 2 weeks.
Filter, bottle, and drink.

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 12-04-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1291906)
Crush berries and add vodka. Leave about 6 weeks in a dark, dry, cool environment.

So it's not ideal for a medical emergency? That said, assuming one has prepared it beforehand, does the victim drink the whole amount?

Basilissa 12-05-2021 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1291912)
So it's not ideal for a medical emergency? That said, assuming one has prepared it beforehand, does the victim drink the whole amount?

According to the wisdom of my ancestors, in case of emergency you may skip the juniper berries and the honey - and therefore the waiting. Quantities ingested at once can vary from person to person. For a beginner, I'd not recommend 2 cups at once, but for those who drink more than that on a daily basis (such as Slavic peasants), 2 cups is not nearly enough.

Didymus Much 12-05-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1291906)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried juniper berries
2 cups vodka
2 tbsp honey

Preparation:

Uh, that's good ol' gin. :lol:

MitzaLizalor 12-05-2021 02:00 AM

Is this how Slavic peasants met one another in the 40s? Would that be during the barrel-ageing or after sampling the finished product? I'm not sure whether peasants have Online hangouts: perhaps it remains the same today? After all, smoke signals are a type of "web" and could still be used —— as long as it doesn't involve singing.

I suppose bagpipes calling across the glen or alpenhorns mooing from one alp to another are something like smoke signals and just as romantic. Maybe these should be added to the graphic? Depending on location I think they'd be more-or-less horizontal lines near the top of the chart, around the 40% mark.