The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Godly Politics (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=117630)

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 05-23-2020 10:27 PM

Brexit

They said the world would end if Brexit happened. And?

handmaiden 05-23-2020 11:27 PM

Re: Brexit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony J. Toole (Post 1268841)
They said the world would end if Brexit happened. And?

I don't know. Did it happen?

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 05-24-2020 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmaiden (Post 1268842)
I don't know. Did it happen?

Did what happen?

Dr. Anthony J. Toole 11-25-2020 09:37 PM

Wonderful news for the UK! They have skillfully negotiated with Canada to keep trading under EU rules. The same EU rules that were so intolerably unfair that the UK decided to leave the EU and negotiate a new deal. The latest on that is that the Brits are waiting to the last minute to blink on Boris Johnson's Cake Plan (i.e. having it and eating it). Not to worry there are always two last minutes with the EU, then a series of last last minutes and a final last last last minute. The weak Europeans, watch them cave at the last last last last minute.

WilliamJenningsBryan 11-25-2020 10:51 PM

I always thought that Canada was still part of the British commonwealth (they are still queen ring kissing monarchists). Why do they need a separate trade agreement?

WWJDnow 11-25-2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamJenningsBryan (Post 1277018)
I always thought that Canada was still part of the British commonwealth (they are still queen ring kissing monarchists). Why do they need a separate trade agreement?

I don't think they're the same country the way England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are. Last I checked, Canada was a dominion. Whatever that means.

Basilissa 11-25-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWJDnow (Post 1277020)
I don't think they're the same country the way England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are. Last I checked, Canada was a dominion. Whatever that means.

It still begs the question, what is the point of being a "dominion" or whatever, if the queen cannot even dictate the rules of the trade, taxes, etc.? I mean, it's rather unjust, isn't it - we Americans had to fight a war to have that privilege, so how come Canadians got it without a war?! :angry:

Didymus Much 11-26-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1277025)
...we Americans had to fight a war to have that privilege, so how come Canadians got it without a war?! :angry:

We asked politely? :dntknw:

Dennis Lukes 11-27-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1277027)
We asked politely? :dntknw:

Doesn't count until you "politely" tell the Queen where she can shove those jewels. She's still the Queen of Canada, and if she decided to sail over to Ottawa, dissolve parliament, and rule her dominion by royal decree, you couldn't stop her no matter how politely you asked.

Didymus Much 11-27-2020 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Lukes (Post 1277058)
Doesn't count until you "politely" tell the Queen where she can shove those jewels...

Aside: I just crossed another day off the list that Donnie has left occupying the White House, and am looking forward to seeing Americans on the world stage who know that diplomacy involves more than waving middle fingers as p***s substitutes.

Quote:

...She's still the Queen of Canada...

Ceremonial title. She literally has no legal claim in this country.

Quote:

...and if she decided to sail over to Ottawa, dissolve parliament, and rule her dominion by royal decree, you couldn't stop her no matter how politely you asked.

:rofl: 1215 called, and says, "Not even in the U.K., guv'nor :thumbdown:".

WWJDnow 11-27-2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1277060)
Ceremonial title. She literally has no legal claim in this country.

The Governor General can dissolve Parliament, has to assent to acts of Parliament before they become law, and is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. Why you tolerate that when you can't even get honors or writs of nobility in exchange is beyond comprehension. Also, shouldn't the current Governor General be a Governess General? And why don't you people lock your doors like civilized folk do?

Didymus Much 11-27-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWJDnow (Post 1277064)
The Governor General can dissolve Parliament, has to assent to acts of Parliament before they become law, and is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces...

Yet according to Basilissa, neither she nor the Queen can do anything up here. So which case are you arguing, exactly? :???:

Quote:

...And why don't you people lock your doors like civilized folk do?

Locks only stop honest people.

WWJDnow 11-27-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1277066)
Yet according to Basilissa, neither she nor the Queen can do anything up here. So which case are you arguing, exactly?

There's a big difference between dictating the law and having the right of royal assent to laws passed by Parliament.
That's why Donald Trump preferred to rule by executive order.

Quote:

Locks only stop honest people.
Amazing. You DO have a sense of humor. I never would have guessed.

Basilissa 11-28-2020 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1277066)
Yet according to Basilissa, neither she nor the Queen can do anything up here.

Who, me? :o I'm just a lowly female with no understanding of politics outside of the only country that matters. :innocent:

Unfalsifiable 12-05-2020 11:20 PM

They follow a religion made up by Henry VIII so he could marry anyone he fancied.

I mean, at least they ditched the Pope at the same time, but how can they take themselves seriously when they are so wilfully taking part in an ancient King's sexcapades?

Basilissa 12-06-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfalsifiable (Post 1277518)
They follow a religion made up by Henry VIII so he could marry anyone he fancied.

I mean, at least they ditched the Pope at the same time, but how can they take themselves seriously when they are so wilfully taking part in an ancient King's sexcapades?

Are you implying that Henry VIII is still sleeping around? :wacko:

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 12-06-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1277563)
Are you implying that Henry VIII is still sleeping around? :wacko:

It's very unclear who he's talking about, Sister. The Queen? I doubt that she can be bothered at her age. Her feckless and mostly divorced and remarried/married-to-divorcees descendants? Or the Godless Brits generally? Because it is certainly untrue to say this of the British:
Quote:

They follow a religion made up by Henry VIII
Last year, fewer than 750,000 of them (out of a population of over 65 million) went anywhere near that church, unless they wanted a fancy backdrop for their wedding photos.

I think, in fact, that Britain might be ripe for a Landover mission - if only we can work out when the rainy season ends.

Didymus Much 12-17-2020 09:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/llEmzCu.jpg

*sigh*

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 12-17-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1278153)
*sigh*

That's an interesting reaction, Didymus. But I don't understand it. Why should it inspire you to sigh, when those very mildly affected by it - the Godless British and their hated Europeon enemies - remain entirely unconcerned?

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 12-31-2020 10:21 PM

I think it's worth celebrating that in around 50 minutes from now - at 5 pm, Freehold time, Britain will finally be freed from the Europeon yoke. :thumbsup: They had to wake up the 94-year-old Queen after midnight to get her to sign off on the paperwork, but she's a game old girl and was happy to oblige.

Technically, Britain leaves at midnight on 31st December. But the Europeons insisted on this being done at midnight in Brussels (famous for its foul green vegetables), not realizing that the hour's time difference meant that this would release the British an hour early! :lol: Boris Johnson wins again!