The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   General Church Fellowship (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I made a cherry pie this afternoon. (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=116854)

BibleReader2231 09-18-2019 09:08 PM

I made a cherry pie this afternoon.

https://i.postimg.cc/VsD1bHBk/B06-F2...12-A8-C4-A.jpg

Just wanted to share a picture of the cherry pie I made today with you all. I’m currently letting it cool off on the windowsill. I haven’t told my Pa yet. It’s a surprise for after dinner. Any criticism or advice on how to improve this would be greatly appreciated.

BrotherLarry 09-19-2019 01:48 AM

Re: I made a cherry pie this afternoon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BibleReader2231 (Post 1257918)
https://i.postimg.cc/VsD1bHBk/B06-F2...12-A8-C4-A.jpg

Just wanted to share a picture of the cherry pie I made today with you all. I’m currently letting it cool off on the windowsill. I haven’t told my Pa yet. It’s a surprise for after dinner. Any criticism or advice on how to improve this would be greatly appreciated.

Is every lattice evenly spaced? Are all squares formed the same dimensions? Will each piece of the pie remove easily from the pan without mess on the fingers?

Faith_Machine 09-19-2019 11:46 AM

Oh, that pie looks positively mouth-watering. I sure do wish I could get me a slice.

Say, do you know any recipes for cream pies? They're soooooo good!

Ditzy 09-19-2019 11:59 AM

While I don't mean to be bursting any bubbles or crashing any parties here, I feel like it's fair to let you all know that this... isn't her pie.You can find it here used as an image reference;

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ry-cherry-pie/

Don't take images off the internet! I bet any pie you make yourself would be just as good, even if not perfect!

Dana723 09-19-2019 12:46 PM

Ms. Fuzzy, I realize you're new here, but I'm sure Sister Maxine is above reproach even if she isn't a :true-fancy:. Perhaps Taste of Home used her photo - did you ever think of that? No, you didn't.

Cherry pies are nice, but I'm not sure if you want to give it to your Papa. They should be saved to give your future husband. Say, what ever happened to that man you married? Did you give him a cherry pie or is it still untouched?

BibleReader2231 09-19-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith_Machine (Post 1257930)
Oh, that pie looks positively mouth-watering. I sure do wish I could get me a slice.

Say, do you know any recipes for cream pies? They're soooooo good!

I’ve tried to google cream pie recipes before but my parental block my Pa has on my computer won’t display any results.

Ditzy 09-19-2019 03:42 PM

While I do like to assume the best of others, I'm afraid I have to dispute that claim, Dana!If you check the website, through context clues given from the date stamps of reviews on the particular recipe, this image has been on the internet since as early as September 16th, 2009. I'm afraid I don't think Maxine would've been sharing her newest baked goods on the internet at the age of..... 7?

BibleReader2231 09-19-2019 06:02 PM

^fake news. It’s odd that this would only surface AFTER I post a picture of my fresh pie I made. I don’t appreciate slander. I’ll be telling my Pa immediately. Why should anyone believe you when you go around lying about being a giant dog?

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 09-19-2019 06:35 PM

Pay her no attention, Maxine. People on the internet who claim to be "nice" (awful word!) and say hippy-dippy things about believing in kindness are invariably foul people.

Tell me, though, where exactly do you live if cherries are still in season? I thought they were pretty much unavailable this late in the year, so if you have a good source of fresh American cherries then I'd love to know where I can get some.

Ditzy 09-19-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

It’s odd that this would only surface AFTER I post a picture of my fresh pie I made
Well, that's just the natural progression of... everything? Why in the world would I search the internet for a pie I didn't know anyone would be making? Besides, isn't it bad to lie?
Either way, my intentions for calling you out aren't malicious or slanderous, I simply want to encourage you to embrace your own work, instead of passing off the work of others as your own. I believe you could make a lovely pie regardless! :)

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 09-19-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritzy (Post 1257944)
Why in the world would I search the internet for a pie I didn't know anyone would be making?

Why in the world would any sane person see Maxine's photo and then search the internet for a photo similar to hers?

Ditzy 09-19-2019 07:43 PM

Well, that's because it's quite easy! It's a few simple clicks since you can image search on google nowadays. Besides, didn't it look a little suspicious to anyone else?

Basilissa 09-19-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1257942)
Pay her no attention, Maxine. People on the internet who claim to be "nice" (awful word!) and say hippy-dippy things about believing in kindness are invariably foul people.

Tell me, though, where exactly do you live if cherries are still in season? I thought they were pretty much unavailable this late in the year, so if you have a good source of fresh American cherries then I'd love to know where I can get some.

No, no more fresh cherries, which makes me sad because it is pretty much my favorite fruit!

However, if you look closely at the opening post, she doesn't claim to have used fresh cherries. Maybe she used the canned variety (eww!) or maybe she froze some fresh pitted cherries when they were still in season?

I went to one of these u-pick farms and gathered loads of blueberries, they occupy half of my freezer, so I can bake a blueberry pie anytime!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1257946)
Why in the world would any sane person see Maxine's photo and then search the internet for a photo similar to hers?

I know, Sister. The mind boggles. :hmmm:

Ditzy 09-19-2019 11:52 PM

It's not irrational, it's just the matter that the image Maxine had sent seemed way too... corporate and unorganic, y'know? your picture is clearly your own, Basillissa! You even have something written in blueberries on the counter, that's pretty good proof of an original image.

Dennis Lukes 09-20-2019 12:43 AM

That pie looks delicious, Miss Levantine, no matter what a certain mocker and scoffer has to say. I sure hope it wasn't snatched off the windowsill by a no-count darkie before your father had a chance to enjoy it!

BibleReader2231 09-20-2019 03:00 PM

I dug out the bag so I could identify where the cherries came from. Apparently they were grown and imported from South Africa to my local grocer. Locally grown cherries are indeed hard to come by around this year. I don’t pay much attention at the grocery store as there’s all this “organic this” and “gluten free” that. I do avoid anything that says it’s “kosher”, however. Mister Lukes, I would be more than happy to bake you a pie if you’re ever in need of one. I hope it would be to your pleasing. I can also make a mean apple pie.

Basilissa 09-20-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BibleReader2231 (Post 1257980)
I dug out the bag so I could identify where the cherries came from. Apparently they were grown and imported from South Africa to my local grocer.

South African cherries in September?!? :fear2: Where?!? I thought they don't even mature until the third week of November! Are they even done flowering at this point? :huh:

Quote:

Locally grown cherries are indeed hard to come by around this year.
I hope that you meant to say, "around this time of the year." Otherwise, what you said doesn't make much sense.

Quote:

I don’t pay much attention at the grocery store as there’s all this “organic this” and “gluten free” that.
Well, you should be paying attention if you don't want your family to go bankrupt - anything labeled "organic" has a much higher price tag, and usually for stuff that is equally full of pesticides as the stuff that is not organic - and that's just talking about what the farmers use to increase their yield, without talking about contaminants that organic crops sip from the ground and rainwater.

But, at least with organic food, people pay for "stuff that hopefully is somewhat less ridden with poisonous chemicals." What really amuses me, though, is the gluten free fad. One day, I would like to meet the person who (1) made people believe gluten was a bad thing, and (2) started to market all the stuff that didn't have any gluten to begin with, labeling it "gluten free" and charging more just for the label. Whoever that man is (it has to be a man, women aren't that cunning), he has to be a pure genius, and probably a billionaire by now! :bowdown:

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 09-20-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1257983)
Well, you should be paying attention if you don't want your family to go bankrupt - anything labeled "organic" has a much higher price tag

You should definitely avoid any food that's labeled "inorganic", though. :lol:

As to gluten, it can only be a matter of time before there is a backlash and there will be a great deal of profit to be made marketing items labeled "gluten-rich."

Basilissa 09-20-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey (Post 1257988)
You should definitely avoid any food that's labeled "inorganic", though. :lol:

Except for edible gold, of course! :thumbsup:

Joanna Lytton-Vasey 09-20-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1257989)
Except for edible gold, of course! :thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, do you have the recipe for those, Sister? Perhaps you could share it - by private message, obviously. We must guard our culinary secrets! But they are just the sort of thing that the wives of my husband's wealthiest clients would adore to tuck into. They have to dine apart from us, poor things, because apparently it's quite difficult to eat in a niqab. I wouldn't know for sure - obviously, I've never tried - but I have no reason to disbelieve them.