The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Teaching His Word (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bible Answers: Who are our neighbors? Who are our brothers and sisters? Who are we to love? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=71358)

Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson 11-15-2011 07:58 PM

Bible Answers: Who are our neighbors? Who are our brothers and sisters? Who are we to love?

These are questions we are often asked here and I wanted to write this sermon to clear up many misconceptions that people seem to have about certain passages.

Love your neighbor, meanie!

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

They take this to mean that we are supposed to have a big hippie love-in with everyone we meet. The question I ask them is, who are our neighbors? Fortunately for us, Jesus was asked that exact same question.

You may know it as the parable of the Good Samaritan. You may have known this story as a morality tale as that the least of us can be good and do good things for one another, but the story is actually a foundation upon which salvation lies.

Please turn with me to Luke 10:25-37

25And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
29But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

Most of us know the story of the Jewish man who was left for dead on the side of the road. Two Jews passed him by one was even a Levite priest, but a Samaritan (an unclean low person {John 4:9} who didn't believe in Judaism the same way the regular Jews did.) stopped to save him. Jesus ends the parable by asking this question in Luke 10:36-37

36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise

Hallelujah! Our answer is clear. Only one of the three people was Jesus' neighbor.

We are to love our neighbors as ourselves, but our neighbors are only those who display Christian love and kindness by doing God's will. The people who won't help the ministry of Christ are beyond our help and they will be cast into the fire.

Like, aren't we supposed to love one another, man?

John 13:34
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Again, this scripture taken out of context would make it sound like we are supposed to go around drawing hearts and writing love poetry to everyone we see on the streets when nothing could be further from the truth.

To properly discern this saying of Jesus we have to take it into context. Who was Jesus speaking to when He gave us that commandment?

The setting is during the last supper. Jesus is sitting there with His disciples. It was a closed event.

You only need to look at the next verse to realize that Jesus didn't include everyone in this.

By this shall all men (the rest of them or everyone else)know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

We are to love our fellow Christians.

But wait! I'm a Christian!

Maybe you are maybe you aren't. We'll know soon enough. As Jesus tells us in Matthew 7:16-21

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Only those who live Christianity in other words.

But isn't everyone a "brother" or a "sister" by virtue that we are all related somehow?

That would be an emphatic no. Jesus tells us that our own flesh and blood family cannot stand in the way of following Him.

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Not only did Jesus tell us to do this, but He followed it by denying his own mother and siblings. Please turn to Matthew 12:46-50 with me

46While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus tells us that only those who follow Him are your brother and sisters.

No, I'm sure I think I'm a Christian even though you're telling me I'm not.

Thankfully, we have the Epistles to deal with this situation. If someone calls his/her self a brother or sister and they continue in sin, the Bible is specific how we are to treat them. Please see 1 Corinthians 5:9-13

9I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

We are to shun you and ignore you. If you are preaching a Gospel other than what is in the Bible like coddling queers and other assorted sinners, we are to not listen to you. We are not allowed to greet you warmly much less let you into our home or we are culpable in your sins. Please see 2 John 1:9-11.

9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

In summation, there are many verses about love in the Bible that are incorrectly attributed to mean that we are to love everyone no matter what. The Truth, as always, lies in God's Word.

Thank you and God bless.

Seth Campbell 11-16-2011 01:09 AM

Re: Christian Answers: Who are our neighbors? Who are our brothers and sisters? Who are we to love?

Great teaching as usual Pastor, too bad the idiots won't read it.

Pastor Ezekiel 11-16-2011 04:36 AM

Re: Bible Answers: Who are our neighbors? Who are our brothers and sisters? Who are we to love?

Shout GLORY! I often remind the godmockers that I live in a gated Christian community. None of my neighbors are queers, witches, atheists, fornicators, or mudslimes. Amen! :Jumpy:

Prayer Warrior 11-16-2011 09:59 AM

Re: Bible Answers: Who are our neighbors? Who are our brothers and sisters? Who are we to love?

What a great and informative sermon. I'm so tired of all these people who claim they accept Jesus as their lord, but don't even read through his holy scripture. "Oh, God loves everyone, we should love everyone. Everyone is our neighbor!"

Just how many people aren't our neighbor?

I'd like to point out Psalm 11:5 which says that God hates the wicked. Since the verse you posted, 1 Corinthians 5:9-13 says that a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner is wicked, I think it is safe to assume that the lord hates them.

A survey done by USA today shows that 95% of adults in America have had filthy, dirty, premarital sex!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ital-sex_x.htm.

Though even the ones who only have sex during the so called "marriages" aren't safe. If the girl is not a virgin, the marriage is not legitimate (so second marriages are out)Deut 22:13-21

Also, those liberal bums who are coveting the money earned by hard working Christians? Out!

I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that God hates all fornicators, and wants us to shun and/or rebuke at least 95% of the american population. Thus, they would not qualify as our neighbors.

That is, unless of course your brother was having trouble having children, and you are impregnating his wife on his behalf. Gen. 38:6-10 Or if you are a female and need to have sex with your drunk father to repopulate the Earth. Gen 19:31-36 Then it is okay.

Just An Evolutionist 11-16-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 816017)
Shout GLORY! I often remind the godmockers that I live in a gated Christian community. None of my neighbors are queers, witches, atheists, fornicators, or mudslimes. Amen! :Jumpy:

I'll sodomize you so much, you'll bleed for weeks.

Redeemed Papist 11-16-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just An Evolutionist (Post 816085)

Thus answering neatly who is NOT your neighbour.

Just An Evolutionist 11-16-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Papist (Post 816089)
Thus answering neatly who is NOT your neighbour.

Oh, you know you'd love it.:wub:

Zechariah Smyth 11-16-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Maggot, this is not some queer pick-up bar.

:badmood:

(Leviticus 18:22) "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

YiC,

Z. Smyth
Posted via Mobile Device

Just An Evolutionist 11-16-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zechariah Smyth (Post 816092)
Maggot, this is not some queer pick-up bar.

:badmood:

(Leviticus 18:22) "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

YiC,

Z. Smyth
Posted via Mobile Device

You want some of this sodomy too? You can all join in!

Zechariah Smyth 11-16-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just An Evolutionist (Post 816093)
You want some of this sodomy too? You can all join in!

Thanks all the same, but my sodomite days are OVER! Yes, I spit the satanic jizz of queerness out of my life and got filled up with the sweet, sweet love of Jesus Christ: you can too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Prayer Warrior 11-16-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

This just goes to show how immoral these Darwin worshiping atheists are. When Darwin and his followers dreamed up evolution, they tried to use it to pretend like they're "intellectuals" who have come to reasonable conclusions about the existence of good due to "evidence" but in reality, they just want a license to sin, and turn others away from God.

This is why God is perfectly justified in sending you, and other evolutionists such as yourself down into eternal damnation.

JennaFutbol 12-08-2011 07:06 AM

Wait, do you mean that Evolution didn't happen? So what did happen?

Isaac Fisher 12-08-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaFutbol (Post 822248)
Wait, do you mean that Evolution didn't happen? So what did happen?

:kjv1611-read:

Please, the stupid - it burns.

JennaFutbol 12-09-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Fisher (Post 822267)
:kjv1611-read:

Please, the stupid - it burns.

I am sorry if I was stupid. But what should i read fist? I mean, obviously I will have to read this version through completely (I have only ever read the NIV fully before), but are their any verses that apply to this specifically? Thank you in advance

-Jennifer

Jedediah 12-09-2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaFutbol (Post 822436)
I am sorry if I was stupid. But what should i read fist? I mean, obviously I will have to read this version through completely (I have only ever read the NIV fully before), but are their any verses that apply to this specifically? Thank you in advance

-Jennifer

Start with Genesis 1:1 and don't stop until you reach Revelation 22:21. As for which verses apply specifically to the subject of this post, try reading the first post.

MitzaLizalor 12-16-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaFutbol (Post 822436)

-Jennifer

Hello Miss Futbol :) Mr Jedediah's advice is sound, but if you can't make it through to Revelation then - as with most books - try starting at page 1

That would be enough to answer your question, to a limited extent anyway. Here it is:
:link:
God considers everybody and if page one is too much, then just the first sentence will give you a pretty good idea - it is quite a short sentence with no big words.

cheesynibbles 12-19-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson (Post 815882)
These are questions we are often asked here and I wanted to write this sermon to clear up many misconceptions that people seem to have about certain passages.

Love your neighbor, meanie!

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

They take this to mean that we are supposed to have a big hippie love-in with everyone we meet. The question I ask them is, who are our neighbors? Fortunately for us, Jesus was asked that exact same question.

You may know it as the parable of the Good Samaritan. You may have known this story as a morality tale as that the least of us can be good and do good things for one another, but the story is actually a foundation upon which salvation lies.

Please turn with me to Luke 10:25-37

25And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
29But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

Most of us know the story of the Jewish man who was left for dead on the side of the road. Two Jews passed him by one was even a Levite priest, but a Samaritan (an unclean low person {John 4:9} who didn't believe in Judaism the same way the regular Jews did.) stopped to save him. Jesus ends the parable by asking this question in Luke 10:36-37

36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise

Hallelujah! Our answer is clear. Only one of the three people was Jesus' neighbor.

We are to love our neighbors as ourselves, but our neighbors are only those to display Christian love and kindness. The people who won't help the ministry of Christ are beyond our help and they will be cast into the fire.

Like, aren't we supposed to love one another, man?

John 13:34
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Again, this scripture taken out of context would make it sound like we are supposed to go around drawing hearts and writing love poetry to everyone we see on the streets when nothing could be further from the truth.

To properly discern this saying of Jesus we have to take it into context. Who was Jesus speaking to when He gave us that commandment?

The setting is during the last supper. Jesus is sitting there with His disciples. It was a closed event.

You only need to look at the next verse to realize that Jesus didn't include everyone in this.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

We are to love our fellow Christians.

But wait! I'm a Christian!

Maybe you are maybe you aren't. We'll know soon enough. As Jesus tells us in Matthew 7:16-21

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Only those who live Christianity in other words.

But isn't everyone a "brother" or a "sister" by virtue that we are all related somehow?

That would be an emphatic no. Jesus tells us that our own flesh and blood family cannot stand in the way of following Him.

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Not only did Jesus tell us to do this, but He followed it by denying his own mother and siblings. Please turn to Matthew 12:46-50 with me

46While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus tells us that only those who follow Him are your brother and sisters.

No, I'm sure I think I'm a Christian even though you're telling me I'm not.

Thankfully, we have the Epistles to deal with this situation. If someone calls his/her self a brother or sister and they continue in sin, the Bible is specific how we are to treat them. Please see 1 Corinthians 5:9-13

9I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

We are to shun you and ignore you. If you are preaching a Gospel other than what is in the Bible like coddling queers and other assorted sinners, we are to not listen to you. We are not allowed to greet you warmly much less let you into our home or we are culpable in your sins. Please see 2 John 1:9-11.

9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

In summation, there are many verses about love in the Bible that are incorrectly attributed to mean that we are to love everyone no matter what. The Truth, as always, lies in God's Word.

Thank you and God bless.

However we must let others know they are our neigbour too, so therefore WE must be kind to all we meet.

Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson 12-19-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesynibbles (Post 825189)
However we must let others know they are our neigbour too, so therefore WE must be kind to all we meet.

Did you not read my sermon? :huh:

Only predestined, preordained, blood bought Christians are our neighbors, brothers and sisters.

cheesynibbles 12-19-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson (Post 825192)
Did you not read my sermon? :huh:

Only predestined, preordained, blood bought Christians are our neighbors, brothers and sisters.

But, if we meet someone on the street how do we know if they're a christian or not?? That's what I meant by being kind to all we meet..

Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson 12-19-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesynibbles (Post 825200)
But, if we meet someone on the street how do we know if they're a christian or not?? That's what I meant by being kind to all we meet..

You can usually tell within a few seconds by looking at their jewelery, bumper stickers or if they mention Jesus.

If they don't, I ask them if they are a Christian. If they say no, I ask them if I can witness to them. If they say they aren't interested, I have nothing to do with them. If they reject my LORD and Savior, they aren't worth my time. I do as Jesus commands us to.

Mark 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

At that point I don't have to worry about loving them anymore, do I?