View Single Post
(#43)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

ChatterboxRose is fearful, unbelieving, a liar, a whoremonger, and abominable. Has a place in the Lake of Fire secured.
Exclamation Re: 12 reasons Harry Potter should be banned - 12-25-2009, 11:55 PM

I believe that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. He is my best friend, and has saved me from death.

I also believe that Harry Potter is a good book.

All that is said above is being taken out of context. yes, God did say not to participate in witchcraft, but reading about a teenage wizard isn't going against God. It is just a book.

To me, and coutless other readers, the Harry Potter books are that of love and acceptance. Harry Potter himself grew up without love, with an Aunt and Uncle who couldn't stand him, but when he went to school he found love with his friends. And the whole plot of Harry Potter is this: Love triumphs over evil and death. is that not Jesus' story? Jesus' love triumphed over our death, and over Satan's evil. It is only with his love that we can live. it was because of Lily Potter (Harry's mother) that Harry lived when a dark wizard tried to kill him. She loved him so much, that her magic (yes, the dreaded 'm' word) allowed her baby to live. This, in a way I believe, translates to Jesus' love. Jesus would have died for only me. Or only you. He would have died that painful death even if it had only saved one person. And this is what Lily Potter did.

I am not trying to shove what I believe down anyone's throat. I simply believe that there is nothing wrong with reading Harry POtter. Just because you read about witches and wizards, doesn't mean I'm going to go out and become a Wicca.

I recommend to all of you (Christian and non-Christian alike) read the book *SATANIC BOOK TITLE DELETED*. Mr. Granger himself is a conservative Christina, and di much research before letting his children read the Harry Potter series. Here are two quotes from his book that I find interesting:

"What did take me aback was finding out that many segments of the Chrisitian community hated the books. As a Christian daddy, I understood why parents and pastors would be cautious about books involving magic, but having read the books, I had a hard time finding anything but delight in them. Christians, of all people, should be celebrating the Harry Potter novels and be attended Potter mania."

"Because the Harry Potter books serve this purpose, they are excellent vehicles for parents wanting to share the Christian message of love's victory over death, of our relationship to God the Father through Christ, and even Christ's two natures in a single existence. Based on our reading of Harry POtter, I have had conversations with my children about heaven and hell, the work of the devil in the world, and our hope in Christ."

As for themes of sexuality, there are none in the books. Yes, J.K. Rowling did admit that she imagined Headmaster Albus Dumbledore was gay. This is after all the books were released. She actually had to tell us, because there are not hints of his sexuality in the books at all. And being gay doesn't make you a child molester, by the way. I doubt that he had any thoughts of this kind for his students. And guess what - he is a real character. Are you so offended that a real character is gay? I for one do not agree with homosexuality, but I don't let something said once effect my enjoyment of the books.

I feel like it is the opinions like the ones stated above that give Christians a bad name. It is this arrogance and hard-headedness that turn people away from Christ everyday. And also, I would like to point out that the pictures above, about the children dressed in Harry Potter garb and preforming some satanic ritual is true religion, poking fun at how uptight Christians get. It is not a true picture.

I suppose I can say no more on the subject at the moment. If you still believe that Harry Potter is evil, I guess that is your place, but as a Christian, I do not think it is corrupting me and my relationship with Jesus. And so, I leave you with this:

"The last enemy to be destroyed is death." 1 Corinthians 15:26 and also on page 328 of the U.S. edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This is in refreence to the graves of Harry's parents. It is their epitaph and refers to them 'living beyond death'.

Thank you.