View Single Post
(#53)
Old
Forum Member
Forum Member

TheBibleBanger is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.TheBibleBanger is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Things that the Bible doesn't say - 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM

I was especially motivated to read this when I saw one of the points that Pastor Isaac Peters mentioned being widely quoted as Biblical, but which in fact, is not: (1. God helps those who help themselves.)

I've been burning about these false quotes for years! But this is the first venue I found in which I was able to discuss and expose these falsities. I am so thankful to come across this thread!

I hope it's okay to add something here. I don't know if the following expression (which has been falsely attributed to the Bible) is rampant, or if it's restricted to certain areas... But I grew up hearing adults say, "If you take one step, God takes two!"

Now, when I was a kid, I had only read snippets of the Bible; but even then I hated that expression! It just didn't sound right; what about the times when we're unable to take a single step, eh??

Then, the summer I turned 17, I dedicated myself to reading the entire Bible from cover to cover. It took me 2 and a half months. I remember keeping an eye out for that blurb, but it was nowhere in the Word.

Believe it or not, to this day when I tell people who use that phrase that it's not Biblical, they say, "Oh no, it's there! You just have to read your Bible!" But I have since read the Bible from beginning to end at least 3 full times, and that phrase is not in the Bible.

P.S. I know I don't have any special wisdom just because I've read the Bible a few times. Reading isn't the same as inspired and proper interpretation. I simply wanted to see for myself what God said. I also wanted to be able to differentiate God's Word from the dribble that people so often attribute to 'being in the Bible.'