View Single Post
(#3)
Old
Unsaved trash, Teenaged false Christian

Fluffy bunny Cherry-picker

Devon~ is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.Devon~ is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.Devon~ is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.Devon~ is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: There is no such thing as an "agnostic!" - 12-20-2010, 04:52 AM

I'm reposting this because you've got the definitions wrong, and I feel I should highlight how and where so save others believing this spun view.

Quote:
atheist — n
1. a person who does not believe in God or gods

agnostic — n
1. a person who holds that knowledge of a Supreme Being, ultimate cause, etc, is impossible
'If you do not agree with these definitions, I humbly submit that your visits here are done since you are altering the American language to make yourself feel better. '

Regardless of this, your definition of the latter isn't quite correct - which dictionary are you using? The bold word should be 'possible'.

Also, I am not Medling with the 'American language' - for starters that word isn't American, it's English word coined by an English Biologist called T.H. Huxley. Different dictionaries may also have slightly differently phrased definitions, unless you have 'the perfect dictionary'? However, this site combines book-definitions, so all are covered.

This is from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic
Quote:
Ag-nos-tic
–noun
a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
–adjective
of or pertaining to agnostics or agnosticism.
asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge.
There are big differences between your definition, which you didn't directly source, and the biggest online dictionary's (which also matches my Collins Dictionary) definitions.

Yes, both agnostic and atheist beliefs do not specify belief in God, but the latter suggests the person in question is confused, in doubt, or are uncertain of the existence of a 'supreme being' because of lack of knowledge (hence why I said Aussie is looking for answers, and why she is asking you questions) but also may have a sense that there is something out there, as many agnostics do, because that is what leads them to ask questions.

Atheists on the other hand are solid in their belief that there is no God and have no doubts at all that they are right in that belief.

An agnostic's uncertainty is what separates them from being and atheist, as they are unsure and undecided in what they believe, either way.

Psalm 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done
abominable works, there is none that doeth good.