View Single Post
(#91)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

Dark Templar X is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: Pokemon: (aka Poke-a-man) still a threat to families - 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Being an avid pokefan, I stumbled across this while I was searching for relevant information on the series. I read some of this thread and listened to what people had to say. I tried to contemplate your side but, unfortunately, you have all given me high blood pressure. I haven't raged this hard in a long time... congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb Thurmond View Post
Pokemon and others of it's generation are every bit as diabolical today as a decade ago!
Define "diabolical." There are many things worse for children than cute little creatures that battle and make innocent sounds or just say their own name as it is in the cartoon. This certainly seems oddly out of proportion to the world. Besides, if it is that destructive, how about the parents do some parenting instead of giving in? In that regard, I would have to agree, even if I will disagree with everything else you say.
Quote:
He was rude, cheeky, wouldnt eat any lunch</b>, tried to run away several times, bit his big sister hard on the arm and made her cry...
This is a testament to very, very bad parenting. This has absolutely nothing to do with a video game. I find it rather contemptible to blame an inanimate object for the shortcomings of someone's lack of parenting skills.
Quote:
Who are the strange little creatures from Japan that have suddenly become global super-stars? Most kids know the answer well: They are called Pokemon (short for POCKEt MONster and pronounced Pokeymon), and they have stirred up some mixed reactions.
So it's just Pokemon that are "evil"? Well, what about the others that roll in a similar light as Pokemon does. There are many, many franchises that try to use a similar premise as Pokemon... ever heard of Digimon? Monster Rancher? Ten bucks says neither of those crossed your minds. It would appear to me that you're not anti-Pokemon, just anti-fad and anti-fun.
Quote:
We have since been told that they are stepping stones to the 'Magic cards' that have been popular for the last few years, which we do not allow.
MTG is little more than a trading/collectible card game. If you find something blasphemous in a card game, then all hope really is lost. It's disturbing, to say the least, that a CARD GAME is in your top 20 list of "very evil things."
Quote:
Each can transport the child into a fantasy world that eventually seems far more normal and exciting than the real world. Here, evil looks good and good is dismissed as boring. Family, relationships, and responsibilities diminish in the wake of the social and media pressures to master the powers unleashed by the massive global entertainment industry.
The entire point of video games is to be transported into another realm, apart from reality. That's why I play video games in the first place! However, I will assume by the lack of information present that none of you has ever played a pokemon game once. There is still plenty of good vs evil present and you always side as the 'good.' Most is still neutral, I'll agree but there is still Team Rocket/Galactic/Magma/Aqua. They're the bad guys and you always have to stop their badness. With Gold/Silver and onwards, you forge friendships with people you meet along the way and the player's mom is always sending stuff and calling. Yeah... I didn't think anyone here had a clue. The one thing everyone misses, and this is huge and very important so pay attention. NONE OF THIS IS REAL. IT IS ALL FICTION. IT WILL NEVER BE REAL. It is what we in the enlightened world call "fantasy." It's the opposite of reality and you patronize children by saying they're falling into a trap. Kids are smarter than that. This is just ridiculous.