View Single Post
(#130)
Old
Unsaved trash, cannukistani terrorist

Negroe Poster Thieving Nigra Atheist Cancer on Society Hellbound Heathen

davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.davidbrainfart is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: Proof that the Negro was Designed to be a Servant Race - 12-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheInfidel
Which of the two contradictory geneologies of Jesus do you believe? The one in Mattew or the one in Luke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer View Post
I was just reading a good explanation of that a few days ago.

“Anything else on that paper of yours, Mark, or may we continue?” Shirlee’s glare suggested the rest of the paper would best be blank.

“Actually, yes. I wrote out those genealogies, you know, from Matthew 1 and Luke 3. Which one did you say was more accurate?”

“As I said earlier, Mark, the Word of God is inerrant.”

“Then how do you explain them being different? The entire list from David to Joseph is different. They diverge all the way back at the first generation after David — Matthew says ‘Solomon’, and Luke says ‘Nathan’.”
“That’s been explained as a ‘levirate marriage’, Mark. When a man died, his brother (or another male relative) was expected to marry his widow and father children with her. Africanus explained it in the 3rd Century, using some records not found in the Bible but kept by the ‘Desposyni‘, relatives of Jesus.”

Mark was unconvinced. “So instead of any official records, this Africanus relied upon the records created by Jesus’ own relatives, after the fact, when they were leaders of the early Christian Church and had a vested interest in proving his descent from David?”
“Exactly! I’m glad you understand.”

So there you go. It's pretty simple, really. There are other explanations besides Africanus' explanation, suggesting some of the differences have to do with legal fatherhood vs. biological fatherhood; in other words, the biological father dies, and then the son is deemed the legal son of the adoptive father.

I hope this helps you on your walk with Jesus.
Another explanation I have read is that one geneology traced Jesus's descent through the father's line and the other through the mother's line. I'm sure there are other explanations, but the simplest explanation is often the right one, that they both just made up a geneology because they thought it was essential to a larger truth, not knowing anyone would look at their geneologies side by side.

I believe there are parts of the Bible that were meant to be taken literally and parts that were not. By bringing up the (apparently) contradictory geneologies I have forced you to acknowledge that there are some things in the Bible that cannot be taken literally--at least as it related to our own culture. In Biblical times writers did not have the same concern that the best journalists of today have for detailed accuracy. They were not above an occassional embellishment, such as attributing miracles to Christ which never actually happened.

To know what the Bible is really saying, we have to know something about the culture that prevailed when it was written. We also need to be aware of political considerations that have altered the meaning of the words between the time they were written and the time in which we read them, such as the politics around the King James Bible, translated and edited for the Church of England, which King Henry VIII founded so he could get a divorce.