View Single Post
(#22)
Old
Confirmed Enemy of God
BANNED from Landover -- Aeternal Damnation Assured

drinkmorecoffee is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Minecraft: Makes children sex slaves and destroys our economy - 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM

I'm a Christian. I have accepted Jesus Christ, taking him at his word and trying to live a life worthy of what I've become (and continue to become). I am not perfect, but that's okay because I believe in a god of love. I believe in a God who wants us to enjoy the world he's created for us, bringing light to the darkness and love to everyone we meet.

I believe in a God of grace, not rules. Of love, not blind judgment. At the very least, I know that I am not qualified to judge things I do not fully understand on behalf of an all-powerful God. I think it's safe to say that's God's job.

I saw a number of things while examining this thread that caused me to pause and reflect.

1) God is love. As such, it stands to reason that those perusing a Christian website, looking for a way to fill that hole in their lives, looking for someone to accept them just as they are would be labeled as "unsaved trash" that is currently "under investigation". (Yes, that was sarcastic)

I had hoped this was a joke, but then I continued to look...

2) Apparently, according to this forum and those posting here, this is the sort of remark a "True Christian" would make:

Yes, that might be off-topic considering we're talking about Minecraft here, but I think it goes a long way toward the credibility of those hosting this debate. Since moral character is the heart of this issue, I think it's applicable. Don't you?

3) This is a static screenshot so the animation is lost, but these little smileys are worth a post in their own right. The blue one is rotating, aflame, while the yellow one points and laughs. This was posted by one who says he is "Close to God". I'll just leave this right here for you to consider.

Here's another one, showing that God truly is love:

4) I'll finish with some shining examples of pure ignorance. I'm sorry, I usually don't make comments like this but you need to understand that if you want to make an intelligent argument, especially on behalf of your God, put some thought into it first.

"Indie" = Independent, as in NOT published by a big game developer. Not India. (Also, nice touch with the World of Warcraft gold comment. Very mature.)

I'm not sure I can even do justice to the ignorance in this comment:

First, you look like an intelligent person, Mr. Templeton. How exactly will a game that involves mining for various minerals and building things out of the mined ore provoke someone to shoot up a school? I don't follow that logic.

Also, for future reference, you have "children", not "childs".

Now, the game itself...

When something is blatantly evil, I agree with you that we should stand up and denounce it. It seems obvious to me that you agree with this sentiment. It fills me with happiness then, to know that all other problems in the world have been identified and fixed, such that a simple building game is now the most significant threat to our society.

Video game code is exceedingly complex, and this blocky environment is primarily due to the simple fact that one guy designed it, all on his own. The shiny games you see in Best Buy are made with groups of engineers and million-dollar budgets. Also, this low-resolution environment adds to the "building block" effect, allowing users to easily build whatever they like.

This freedom to build anything is just that - freedom. This is exactly why the game is so wildly popular. You can build anything you can imagine, without restriction.

Blind faith in anything is dangerous. I say that as a Christian. My faith is not blind, my eyes are wide open. Also, my faith is strong enough that it won't be shaken by a simple video game. In contrast, what I see here is faith not in God but the rules, not in acceptance but in condescension, not in love but in judgment. Truly, what I see here is simple: fear.

I am not angry, I am saddened. It breaks my heart that those who might come here looking for love would instead find you. This is not what being a Christian is all about.