View Single Post
(#49)
Old
Apparently not part of the domestic staff; suspected academic
Forum Member

Christian Love Protected by JESUS Messicant Touched by Jesus Friend of Jesus Heaven Bound Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars

Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.
Default Re: Playing videogames leads to mass shootings - 01-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReignsBrose View Post
We must remember that many different cultures came before the Bible was even created and I believe that whoever wrote the Bible was inspired to create their own version of previous cultures/mythologies.
Hello Miss Brose. This sounds like a very nice thesis statement. Now, an important part of any discussion is the act of providing actual evidence to support your thesis. You see, in a discussion, you cannot expect your interlocutors to just believe whatever you say, you have to be able to convince them with compelling arguments.

Now, I sincerely do want you to succeed, so here is a hint: you can start building your arguments by reading about Mesopotamian mythology.

Quote:
Even ones that were created after were, too.
You need to clarify what you mean by that: did Christianity borrow from religions which were born afterwards? Or did later religions borrow from Christianity? Another hint: you could find arguments to support both views. You can start by looking up why we celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25 - please note that Mithraism was born either concurrently with or slightly after Christianity.

Quote:
They all mean pretty much the same thing,
I am on your side in this debate, so here is another friendly hint: you should drop this part of your thesis because your strong universalist position is indefensible. Yes, you can argue that there are certain similarities between belief systems, which derive from the fact that any ideology - religion, philosophy, nationalistic ideology, communist ideology, you name it - serves similar purposes. All ideologies provide a framework which guides people's behavior and makes them content with their position in the overall social structure. You can look up Clifford Geertz, his definition of religion fits any ideological system equally. However, how different ideologies, including different religions, do that, varies quite considerably.

Quote:
but because of being in different parts of world they are written in a different way.
A thesis which would be more defensible would go like this:

"While religions which developed in a single area often share characteristics due to borrowings between each other, religions which developed independently, without contact with each other, vary quite drastically."

Another hint: if you really want to look for similarities between religions which are very distant in both time and space, look up this article - while I personally am not 100% convinced by this argumentation, as it is more of a convincing speculation than a solid evidence-based thesis, it's really cool. Here's the map from this article which shows the dispersion of this hypothetically oldest myth on Earth:

With all these hints, I hope you will be able to engage in an actual debate, by (1) carefully crafting theses which are defensible and (2) providing thoughtful arguments to support your theses.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.