View Single Post
(#40)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

GodsLOVE is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Autism - the New Gay - 08-07-2012, 05:28 AM

I am learning and growing in my life with God - and I will be for the rest of my days on this earth - you'll never hear me say that I've got it completely right, I will always be burdened with sin. But I am working towards giving God my best, and giving myself fully to Him. God's work in me has me moving to replace my own anger and disrespect towards others with love and patience - especially when I am being persecuted. (identifying with you having to see the inappropriate messages that those who disagree with you have left on these boards) I have never experienced a more difficult transition in how I live - and I mess up regularly. For me, in my mind, stopping short would have been reacting to this tread with disrespect or deciding not to have faith and shy away from sharing the message that He had placed in my heart.

In full disclosure I should share that I was pulled to this post because of the content. I have changed the professional direction of my life in the last 5 years to dedicate myself to participating in the treatment of children with autism. Seeing the pain that these children go through and what they can overcome has never stopped amazing me. I have now seen multiple children work to the point of being indistinguishable from their peers in a typical classroom. This is not possible for every child, but the only researched intervention to produce these results is an intensive (30-40 hrs/wk) behavioral therapy called Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) that is implemented as early in development as possible. Two research studies have shown 50% of participants to reach normal IQ scores and as stated above, participate in a typical classroom without any special aid. (Lovaas, Sallows) We teach communication, social skills, cognitive skills, and give tools on how to overcome uncontrollable behaviors such as painful head banging (head banging is many times the result of severe sensory over stimulation, or the emotional pain of severe anxiety). I have even implemented programs with several families who desperately wanted their child to be able to attend church service - our therapists attend service with the family. I only wish to share my experience here. You would be amazed at the thirst for knowledge and growth that these children have once we just realize that they do not learn like the rest of us - and we teach them in a way that they understand.

I am hoping that you do not feel mislead that I did not share this immediately. I did not want my original message to get lost in the debate about autism.

I am a 27 year old who grew up Christian and have always attended church regularly, but didn’t realize that I was only going through the motions until I was in college and found myself wrapped up in a secular lifestyle. I now have a deep love for God and strive to make Him central in my life every day – but still working on getting past the distractions, every day.

Mary, I want to thank you for your conversation with me. I appreciate that you did not make me feel uncomfortable or be-littled for what I shared.

Very best.